Thomas Davis ban FF TD from club house...

Started by dublinfella, April 18, 2007, 12:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

... for refusing to back their increasingly desperate land grab in Tallaght.....

http://www.hostingdamnit.com/download.php?file=146DD949

Half way down page 2 in bold.

I remember being ridiculed for suggesting that Chairman Kennedy was a petty thug who had never heard the word no and had a reputation for being a bully. Well here he is telling the final one of the 4 TD's in the area who has publically refused to back him that he is no longer welcome in the clubhouse at a fundraiser he helped organise for a local kid minced in a car crash.

The guy is a stain on the GAA.

What f**king arrogance and huge PR blunder. Can't wait till the papers run with this one....  >:(

stephenite

Already on another thread - Admin, please merge, we've had enough problems with server space over the years without some loon harping on consistently about the one issue.

Dublinfella - I've no problem with you coming on here to express your opinions but please don't abuse the board

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on April 18, 2007, 12:28:09 AM
Already on another thread - Admin, please merge, we've had enough problems with server space over the years without some loon harping on consistently about the one issue.

Dublinfella - I've no problem with you coming on here to express your opinions but please don't abuse the board

Abuse the board?

So like the Tyrone mischief, we should just bury it in another thread?

I think there is a relevant discussion to be had about whether anyone, especially an elected representive should be barred from a clubhouse for disagreeing with the chair of a local club.

I have never heard of this sort of behaviour before and feel quite vindicated in my stance opposing this man over the last year.

stephenite

Every topic should be kept to it's relevant thread, GAA related or not - standard etiquette for posting on nternet Discussion boards.

You're motives for posting here are well known by all and sundry, your opinions are discussed etc. Bit of manners would go a long way son

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on April 18, 2007, 12:40:35 AM
Every topic should be kept to it's relevant thread, GAA related or not - standard etiquette for posting on nternet Discussion boards.

You're motives for posting here are well known by all and sundry, your opinions are discussed etc. Bit of manners would go a long way son

The other mention of this is in the other forum.

I think this sort of aggressive behaviour from a club to an elected representitive is worthy of discussion. People have defended Kennedy and his suing of the Government and attempt to reverse a decision of an elected body out of decent loyalty to the association that is commendible. I think its only fair to have his true colours nailed to the mast.

Kennedy is a stain on the association. This latest stunt proves it. How f**king dare he.

edit....

Irish Times 18.04.07

Roche criticises Thomas Davis letter
Emmet Malone Soccer correspondent

Wed, Apr 18, 2007

Tallaght Stadium controversy:Shamrock Rovers chairman Jonathan Roche has described as "a disgrace" a letter sent earlier this month by his counterpart at Thomas Davis, Christopher O'Donnell, to members of the GAA club in relation to the issue of access to the stadium proposed for Tallaght.

Roche also says that an item of supporting documentation, which accompanied the letter, is "riddled with factual inaccuracies".

In the letter, dated April 7th, O'Donnell encourages members to make an election issue of the club's fight to win access to the stadium and provides detailed instruction to members on how the issue should be raised with politicians during the forthcoming election campaign.

He also suggests they should not support local Fianna Fail TD Conor Lenihan, a Minister for State at the Department of Foreign Affairs, because he has recently signalled to club officials his support for the line taken by John O'Donoghue, that Government funding for the project be conditional upon it being used solely for soccer. O'Donnell says the politician has been informed he will not be welcome at the club until the GAA is accommodated at the stadium.

Lenihan said last night that while he was aware of the letter's content he found it both "surprising and ironic" that he first heard about it last Thursday night while attending a charity fund-raiser at the club. "I was being treated to drinks by senior members of the club and talking to a couple of former players who were special guests at the function when somebody approached me solemnly and presented me with a copy of the letter. Given how welcome I was made to feel on the night, I haven't really bothered to pursue the matter."

While O'Donnell clearly suggests to members in the letter that Thomas Davis and GAA other clubs in the area have been warned their stand on Tallaght might preclude them from receiving funds under the Government's Sports Capital Programme, Lenihan points out that one reason he believes he was made so welcome at the function was the news the club had just been allocated some €200,000 under the scheme.

"There seems to have been a suggestion that they couldn't benefit from Sports Capital Programme funding but as a result of the type of representations made by me, amongst others, the club received €200,000 only last week and I have been instrumental in obtaining over €600,000 in funding for Thomas Davis over the last few years. It is a matter of deep regret that we should have such a deep division between supporters of two sporting codes, and people on both sides of this debate have gone too far in what they have said at times. It would still be a concern of mine, however, that if Thomas Davis are successful in having the stadium opened then it may be the case that other clubs will take cases to have facilities already funded and built opened up too."

Within Rovers, meanwhile, there is disquiet over what the club's officials see as the latest attempt to undermine their attempts to get into the Tallaght development. In O'Donnell's letter he states on a number of occasions that Thomas Davis did not want to do this and that they did not intend either to dispute their neighbour's status as "anchor tenants" at the stadium.

However, Rovers' club secretary Noel Byrne points to a letter written in September 2005 by another Thomas Davis official, David Kennedy, to Dublin County Board chief executive John Costello as evidence that the club's public position cannot be readily taken at face value. In that letter Kennedy notes that in communications with South Dublin County Council, which is to complete the stadium, Thomas Davis have accepted the facility will also be used for soccer. "Tactically," he writes, "I think that has to be right for now. I'm confident (however) that in any bout with Rovers," he concludes, "that the GAA will be the last man standing."

Byrne believes the lack of any attempt by Thomas Davis to build trust between the two clubs in the aftermath of that letter becoming public calls into doubt anything that the GAA outfit might say now. "We continue to take advice on the situation while watching with amazement the activities of Thomas Davis and nothing they have done to date would suggest to us that they want to forge a long-term relationship with Shamrock Rovers" he says.

On this occasion a number of documents are attached to the letter including a circular from Costello to members of the GAA's central council in which a brief synopsis of the Tallaght stadium story to date is provided. Roche says this document is "riddled with factual inaccuracies" and that the overall tone of the new letter is similar to Kennedy's.

"They claim no Shamrock Rovers money went into what has been built so far but that's simply not true," he says. "The 400 club alone provided over €100,000 for the payment of professional fees and other items related to the project.

"Now, setting all of that aside, I have no problem whatsoever with junior gaelic or hockey or any other type of sporting contest being staged at this stadium as long as it doesn't require changes (an enlarged pitch) that substantially impact on and delay its delivery but that is precisely what Thomas Davis appear determined to achieve."

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on April 18, 2007, 12:46:47 AM

Well keep it on the other forum then - do we really need to read it twice? ::) ??? ::)

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on April 18, 2007, 01:14:08 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on April 18, 2007, 12:46:47 AM

Well keep it on the other forum then - do we really need to read it twice? ::) ??? ::)

feel free to discuss the topic as opposed to explain why it shouldnt be on the board.

stephenite

Jaysus that's pathetic. Why is it every time I have a conversation with you it's when you're just in from the pub and acting like a dick?

I have explained why I feel there is no need for this topic to be discussed on two different threads - out from that I've made my own views fairly clear as to why Thomas Davis are correct in their actions, I do not feel to go over old ground - this issue is with the courts and they'll decide what's going to happen regardless of what you, I or anyone else thinks is the right course of action.

Can you do the decent thing and delete the thread, please?

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on April 18, 2007, 01:33:51 AM
Jaysus that's pathetic. Why is it every time I have a conversation with you it's when you're just in from the pub and acting like a dick?

I have explained why I feel there is no need for this topic to be discussed on two different threads - out from that I've made my own views fairly clear as to why Thomas Davis are correct in their actions, I do not feel to go over old ground - this issue is with the courts and they'll decide what's going to happen regardless of what you, I or anyone else thinks is the right course of action.

Can you do the decent thing and delete the thread, please?

This is about a GAA club banning a Minister for State from their clubhouse in an election year.

If you think thats irrelevant and should be removed from the board I pity you.

This course of action is totally unprecedented and of significance to the wider GAA community. Thats why I posted the letter they put into the public domain here.

You want me to delete this because I mentioned I would post the letter in an off topic discussion about a soccer club when I could.

Can you not just acknowledge a GAA club has simply lost the run of itself rather than try and supress the story? It will be in all the papers tommorrow (well, today) and it wont be pretty.

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on April 18, 2007, 01:40:54 AM
This is about a GAA club banning a Minister for State from their clubhouse in an election year.

This course of action is totally unprecedented and of significance to the wider GAA community. Thats why I posted the letter they put into the public domain here.

You want me to delete this because I mentioned I would post the letter in an off topic discussion about a soccer club when I could.

Can you not just acknowledge a GAA club has simply lost the run of itself rather than try and supress the story? It will be in all the papers tommorrow (well, today) and it wont be pretty.

I don't believe the club has lost the run of itself, so no, I cannot acknowledge this. If it's in the papers than how exactly is the issue being hidden.

Also , please point out where I said that this is issue is irrelevant???? So you can spare your pity for the minister.

Anyway - to my point, Admin if you feel I am correct can you merge this. If you feel I am incorrect than may you suffer eternal damnation

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on April 18, 2007, 01:49:05 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on April 18, 2007, 01:40:54 AM

I don't believe the club has lost the run of itself, so no, I cannot acknowledge this. If it's in the papers than how exactly is the issue being hidden.

Also , please point out where I said that this is issue is irrelevant???? So you can spare your pity for the minister.

Anyway - to my point, Admin if you feel I am correct can you merge this. If you feel I am incorrect than may you suffer eternal damnation

So you think its acceptible to hand a Minister of the Republic a letter at a fundraiser for a badly injured child a letter banning him and ask him to leave the premises while at the same time encouraging your members to do what they can to influence political opinion?  ???

Seriously?

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on April 18, 2007, 01:57:47 AM
encouraging your members to do what they can to influence political opinion?  ???

Seriously?

A local issue - encouraging members to take this local issue into account when considering votes-  of course it's acceptable you clown. It's publicly funded infrastructure, are the membes (who are tax payers) not entitled to lobby public representatives about where their money is being spent, specifically when it discriminates against them as members of a certain sporting organisation - cop on
If I was voting in that constituency you can be sure Lenihan would be told to get fucked when he landed at my door

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on April 18, 2007, 02:12:31 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on April 18, 2007, 01:57:47 AM
encouraging your members to do what they can to influence political opinion?  ???

Seriously?

A local issue - encouraging members to take this local issue into account when considering votes-  of course it's acceptable you clown. It's publicly funded infrastructure, are the membes (who are tax payers) not entitled to lobby public representatives about where their money is being spent, specifically when it discriminates against them as members of a certain sporting organisation - cop on
If I was voting in that constituency you can be sure Lenihan would be told to get fucked when he landed at my door

so you tell him to get fucked and vote for who? Thomas Davis have zero political support. Sinn Fein issued a press release asking TD to drop the case this week. Thats the set. Not one party has supported Kennedy yet.

You are saying it is appropriate to ban Government Ministers from your clubhouse because they disagree with your chairman? Will the other 3 TD's in the area get the same? Bertie agrees with Rovers, is he out too?

canvassing politicians is one thing, this is outrageous. What a collossal own goal.

bottlethrower7

Hi dublinfella, what do you think about the talk of the 'unrest' in the Dublin panel of late? I hear that Dotsie O'Callaghan walked from the panel. Do you reckon that Tommy Naughton will try and entice him back into the hurling panel? Though word has it that he might be off to america for the summer. You're from up that way aren't you? Whats the word on the street? Apparently he scored 3-6 for Marks in a SHL 'B' game against Isles the other night. Hes a gifted hurler for sure - far better than he is a footballer, IMO anyway.

Word has it that Diarmaid Connolly went playing hurling for Vinnies last week too, against (allegedly) the wishes of the Pillar himself. One wonders if Pillar has control there at all anymore, after the footballer's relegation from division 1 of the league. Especially considering Keaney went and did the same. Whatever about Dotsie and Connolly, Keaney is pretty much indispensible to the footballers so Pillar won't be able to bully him about the place.

Given how poor Wexford hurlers were at the weekend, one wonders what could be achieved in Dublin hurling were they to hold the back line from the league, throw Dotise and Connolly into the forwards, and Keaney into midfield. Especially now that theres rumours doing the rounds that Kevin O'Reilly may have torn his cruciate ligament. Theres a real danger of things going a little bit pear-shaped for the Dublin hurlers at the minute, which is a real shame after the bright league campaign (the Antrim game aside of course).

What do you think yourself?

Oh, I saw this quote in the Irish Times today. I thought it was interesting.

QuoteI have no problem whatsoever with junior gaelic or hockey or any other type of sporting contest being staged at this stadium

Its from some shamrock rovers person. Glad they've come around and now have no problem with adult 'gaelic' being played in Tallaght.

resdubwhite

lads.

I think Dublinfella has a point to raise, Even if you disagree with him.
its a seperate topic to the rovers ultra thread.

Silly move by Davis.
How do they think they are going to geet funding for anything if the current government are re elected.

Bottlethower, discuss the point and please don't go off topic. We all know you hurling puritans do a great job for the game.
Now theres a pat on the back.

Whether you boys agree or not, he has a right to post this.