Three Cheers for Cavan finally getting to play in the New Croke Park

Started by Maximus Marillius, April 16, 2007, 02:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

cavan4ever

Quote from: shotstopper1 on April 17, 2007, 10:30:35 AM
Quote from: thebandit on April 16, 2007, 05:28:38 PM
For the benefit of Ky Auvin men everywhere.

Directions

Croke Park is situated in north Dublin between Drumcondra and Ballybough and is bordered by Jones's Road to the west, Clonliffe Road to the north, St. James Avenue to to the east and the Royal Canal to the south.

The stadium is well served by public transport.  Bus, Rail, DART and LUAS can all bring you to less than a 15 minute walk from the ground.  Croke Park have recently launched an initiative to encourage greater use of public transport by visitors to the stadium.  A specially commissioned map has been launched to demonstrate how close Croke Park is to a host of public transport solutions.  Croke Park is situated in a residential area with only limited parking available on match days and local residents expect to use this parking.  And remember the authorities will be continuing their policy of clamping in the area on match days. Why risk spoiling a great day out?

Onsite parking at the stadium is only available for non-match and non-concert events. 

Take the stress out of travelling to Croke Park.  Download Map and Public Transport Guide

Please note that tickets are no longer available for the Nally Stand

Sure what would a Monaghan man know about going to Croke Park,they've only being there a handful of times in the history of the GAA and even then they stop in Cavan to ask directions.  :)

Thats a good point shotstopper what the fcuk wud they know  :D

cavanmaniac

Quote from: highorlow on April 17, 2007, 11:06:13 AM
Its 30 euro for the tickets lads, ye have 5 days to save!

Now THAT'S funny. I'll still be laughing on Thursday. :-\

At least Hardy made an effort. :P

Fishead_Sam

Great to see Cavan back in Croker, I was at the Cavan V Kerry game in Croker in 1997, so glad you lot are back.

I have to admit I must have done a very cockey (thats why we cant win Sam) Mayo thing, was only 17, jumped on the train to Dublin wearing my Mayo jersey, met a second or third cousin from Dublin and went up on the Hill with the Cavan fans, supported them that day, to be honest there was at least 10 other Mayo jersies on the Hill that day (probably for the same reason as I was).

I had gone up to the match because I wanted to see who we where going to beat in the Final Cavan or Kerry, we hadn't even beaten Offaly in the other semi yet. O how that backfired.

Cockeyness has been bate out of me by Kerry over the years, but it pops up from time-to-time

BallyhaiseMan

In Fairness Sam i was of the opinion that if we could manage to beat Kerry,we would take Mayo or Offaly without that much trouble,so you werent alone in being cocky in 1997!!!  :P

cavanmaniac

I don't think you were wrong either BH man, although I think Mayo would have played alot better against us in the final than they did against Kerry. They'd have fancied their chances against us whereas they were a bit tentative against Kerry, even worse than they were against Offaly.

The All-Ireland was wide open that year for sure but the short passing game that brought us there was what undid us in the end. McCabe didn't play well. Carolan reverted to type and relaxed after realising he wouldn't be dropped again following the powerhouse display against Donegal - was about 70% from frees that day. Curley waved play on when Larry was streaking in on goal but getting the jersey wrenched off him. Larry was good enough to continue and rattle the bar despite being dragged off balance, to take the bad look off a poor non-decision, and Russell finished it a few minutes later after a Fitz pass exposed Kermath for the weak link he was. The nervous way Carolan was playing he'd have missed the peno anyway.

We missed the boat. Such is life.

trim blue

Maniac, that was actually Jayo who got closelined by Hassett and the ball broke to Larry who hit the crossbar, it was about the only time I ever saw the advantage rule applied in gaelic, we lost our nerve after halftime and reverted to type, endless shortpassing and the move of Fitzy to midfield did for us. Still, a great day and Cahill's goal was almost worth the admission alone..
ah sure tog out anyway

cavanmaniac

Was it. Ah feck, I was way down the other end on the hill. One way or t'other, t'was bad refereeing. Not what you'd expect from Curley. If it was Curley. I probably dis-remember the ref as well!

Kerry Mike

Lets hope Cavan's latest game in Croker ends in a better result than their last one  :P

I remember 97 well, I just knew we would win that year. The relaxed air of Stephen King walking slowly onto the field with his team showed a lack of passion for the day, I always thought. They did put it up to us however and for a brilliant bit of skill by Maurice Fitz in fielding and then a great pass to Mike Frank Russell for the goal it could have finished differently.

But 97 was a special year for Maurice and Mayo could not get near him in the final and thankfully it ended our 11 years famine. That was a good Cavan team and they deserved more success than just one Ulsrter title.

Not so sure about the current Cavan bunch, but hopefully they will get back to something of their glory days.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

BallyhaiseMan

KM
This Cavan team has alot of very talented footballers,Its a bit on the small side though,not many men over 6ft.
we will be giving away size and power to the Rossies but id expect us to have a much faster all round team.

Fishead_Sam

Kerry Mike
"thankfully it ended our 11 years famine"  ;D

Funniest thing I have read in ages, I think they would call that a fast in Mayo.

The Bottom Brick

Quote"thankfully it ended our 11 years famine"

Two All Irelands in 12 years? That would be called the Golden Age in Derry or Armagh
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

CC1

Quote from: cavanmaniac on April 17, 2007, 05:11:02 PM
Was it. Ah feck, I was way down the other end on the hill. One way or t'other, t'was bad refereeing. Not what you'd expect from Curley. If it was Curley. I probably dis-remember the ref as well!
I was actually sitting just on the 13 yard line on the Hogan when Jason was tugged back, Hasset nearly had the jersey off Jason's back. Definate penalty. Was absolutely ripping after it. As for Cahill's goal, what a peach!
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

cavanmaniac

Wasn't best pleased myself.

Someone mentioned how the Cavan heads dropped as well. Too true. The fizz went out of the whole thing once Kerry got the grips on in the second half, it was a meek enough surrender in the end and that shot off the bar was the last kick back we made. We had enough experience on the field in King and Carolan and Damien Reilly (one of my favourite Cavan players of all time - remember him shoving Paidi O'Se around under the Cusack stand when he ran on? Class ;D) to have done a bit more than just accept defeat like we appeared to do in the end.

Do you know what the worst thing of all was though? The Cavan support. Yes, our famed supporters. ac39 says on the other thread that it's a myth since the late 90s and I agree. Not only do we not travel in numbers any more but when we do, and 1997 was the last mass gathering, we sit there mute and don't try to rouse the team when things are going wrong. It was almost like we were content with what we'd achieved and it transmitted to the players as well. I've been at other matches where things have been going against us and the crowd, well, you'd think they were dead only to wash them as the philosopher Babs Keating would say. That said, any time the  support does muster behind the team they tend to let us down a bit with the dreadful performance against Mayo a few years ago a case in point.

I guess back in August, young tyros like Jason, Larry, Peter, Dermot probably thought they'd be back in Croker before too long for another bite. Lesson is to take your chance when it's there or else you might live to regret it. How spectacularly we failed to build on that singular success, eh?

Shamrock Shore

The only thing I remember about the 97 semi was the Cavan wan and the husband coming in at half time in the wedding garb after getting a helicopter ride from The Sliabh Russell.

Cavan did not fully perform that day and coulda been a contender. The fact that they won the Ulster on vapour was exposed in the years since.

Love to see Cavan battle for Ulsters again. Just keep them out of feckin Casement Park.