If You Were GAA President

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2007, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laughinpaddy

I'd allow county panels to name 30 players for the championship, as they do, however a fortnight or so before the game the managment would have to name 22-25 players who have the potential of making an apperance, those not named should then be available for their clubs.
I ain't gettin on no plane!

loupy

Quote from: laughinpaddy on April 20, 2007, 12:33:22 PM
I'd allow county panels to name 30 players for the championship, as they do, however a fortnight or so before the game the managment would have to name 22-25 players who have the potential of making an apperance, those not named should then be available for their clubs.

I totally agree. I know good players that were worthless to their clubs as they barely got any football by being dragged to county matches to sit on the bench and watch.

Captain Scarlet

exactly like the way it is in rugby. provisional squad and then when the subs are named the lads could be released to play in the club matches.

also agree with F aussie rules and bring back the glory of the railway cup.

i know a westmeath legend who never won anything with his county but his 2 cup medals ensured everyone apprecaited him.
also one eveing in a nearby pub an old enough couple ended sharing our table for grub and the man was an ex louth player. the way he talked of the Cup was amazing, the importance it had for him.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

forkinknife

Id outlaw the northern way of football/handball/basketball. It is no coincidence that our pathetic performances in recent years in IR has been a direct result of the British style of playing our games during their relatively successful period. I'd send coaches up to Northern Ireland to teach the locals how to kick a ball. For the love of God, although I also detest the cork gypsies, let the rebels beat Armagh in the U21. For the good of the games. NO MORE OF THAT SHITE MR BRENNAN. Stand up to the saxon blow-ins.

realredhandfan

No bother could I have a large fries with that please forkniknife.  Hows the woman?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: forkinknife on April 20, 2007, 02:09:26 PM
Id outlaw the northern way of football/handball/basketball. It is no coincidence that our pathetic performances in recent years in IR has been a direct result of the British style of playing our games during their relatively successful period. I'd send coaches up to Northern Ireland to teach the locals how to kick a ball. For the love of God, although I also detest the cork gypsies, let the rebels beat Armagh in the U21. For the good of the games. NO MORE OF THAT SHITE MR BRENNAN. Stand up to the saxon blow-ins.

Prepare for the onslaught you're about to receive for that post  :D

full back

Ah knifeinfork, how the hell are ya?
How is Paula keeping? :-*
And more importantly did the tablets work? :D
If only you were President.................... ::)

thejuice

Anyway moving on...............

I would scrap the league. Play the club championships during that period. The GAA could then promote the club championship and give the local heroes a chance at the lime light. This would solve the fixture problems and the county/club problems. The Club leagues could be played in the summer time.

Also i would suggest, make the contact more clear cut in football. Hands in back illegal, hands in front, including pushing are legal, (or how about any contact from behind is illegal, would that keep defenders honest??) Shoulder to shoulder charges to be encouraged  ;)

I would set a standard for clubhouse facilities and pitches. Depending on club level, ie Junior, Intermediate, Senior, a certain standard would have to be reached, and the GAA would carry the cost of any improvments. County teams would have to have a very high standard of provisions for their players, that goes for all counties, and these facilites made available to both codes in each county.

My aim would be that footballers and hurlers whether they are from Longford, Kerry, Sligo, Antrim or Tyrone they all get the same level of facility. The only thing that should stand in the way of success is talent and commitment.

On the dispiline side of things, i'd do away with reds, and yellows,. A player gets 4 warnings in a game and then has to leave. The referee just ticks his number and thats lets him know hes warned. Violent conduct leads to instant dismissal. Diving or feigning injury is also an instant dismissal.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

stew

More emphasis on the Club scene, no League games but a CL format for the Championship. Closer ties to camogie clubs and Scor and also a renewed committment to attract new players  and supporters from different backgrounds and cultures.

Professional referees are a must and Dublin must find out what it is like to play out of HQ. :P

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteScrap the current model of league & championship and split the competing teams into three tiers. Provincial championships to remain but will have no bearing on All-Ireland standing and be played in February/March. 12 teams for tiers 1 & 2 with remainder in 3, split into two groups of 6, play each other once guaranteeing 5 games minimum. First three rounds played on consecutive weekends in April, remaining two in May after a three week break - top team in each section qualifies directly into the semi-final, 2nd and 3rd place teams play-off in a quarter final, bottom team in each section plays-off for relegation, all games played the next weekend after round 5. Semi-finals take place last week of June or first week of July with the final taking place the Sunday before the (southern) August Bank Holiday.

Fionn either great minds think alike or you're a robbing hoor!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead