Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on January 24, 2017, 05:18:53 PM
All going well. Players like the way Jude has set about his business.  Lavey man Seamus Scullion is along with him PJ. We're hoping for a decent year....just like everyone in January lol.

Expecting big things then? Lol Worth £20 on Paddy Power for the SFC?

bannside

For what it's worth I think we will be much improved this year. A lot of posters don't see us in the top half dozen (we finished 9th in the league last year) but if we weren't top four this year I'd be disappointed.

country bumpkin

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 24, 2017, 05:41:02 PM
I always thought that Derry schools brought the better south west guys on.

You look at Kevin brady, Michael McCann, Tomas McCann etc. All Derry schools. There will be exceptions but those are the ones that stand out to me. I think Justin Crozier and Kevin O'Boyle were derry schools too?

All of the Cargin contingent on the Saffron side in 2016, the Mc Canns, Kobo, J Carron, J Crozier and J Laverty all went to Derry schools for their secondary education and in fact 90% of the present Cargin team went over the bridge as well.
Secret out MR2 ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 24, 2017, 05:37:47 PM
Quote from: bannside on January 24, 2017, 03:35:47 PM
Didn't think MR was trying to be clever with his comment there lads. He has acknowledged an increase in SW standards but rightly points out that it hasn't transferred in any tangible way to thd county set up. Hard to argue with that tbh.
Perhaps not BS...but u are a most forgiving person.
As I said city teams and indeed Belfast schools are not producing their share.
As I noted Cargin and Creggan from the same parish lead the ratings in our county and from a catchment infinitely less than those from the South division.
Do you think it a coincidence that the majority those players in the ranks of both the above went to school in Derry.....St Pats Maghera...St Pius x or St Mary's Magherafelt?

I'm trying to see where I've tried to be funny... Sw teams have improved tremendously and that's been noted (or because we have went past or sell by date, whatever you think) but the Antrim team regardless who manages it, be they Belfast Derry Down Armagh or Cargin, has under performed because of the things I alluded to in an earlier post, a lack of skill, desire, attitude, physicality, hunger, commitment, tactically awareness/cuteness and possibly a bit of club clicks!!

Work on each of those things and maybe just maybe we'll become a decent team..... as a manager you have a set idea of training conditioning tactics players and a goal.... what normally happens is people buy into it until the first game, then the cracks start to appear, numbers drop, players moan about  selections and before ya now it that plan you had is shot!!

Easy to blame managers I suppose
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 24, 2017, 08:42:54 PM

You look at Kevin brady, Michael McCann, Tomas McCann etc. All Derry schools. There will be exceptions but those are the ones that stand out to me. I think Justin Crozier and Kevin O'Boyle were derry schools too?

All of the Cargin contingent on the Saffron side in 2016, the Mc Canns, Kobo, J Carron, J Crozier and J Laverty all went to Derry schools for their secondary education and in fact 90% of the present Cargin team went over the bridge as well.
Secret out MR2 ;)

Well my money's on them to win Ulster this year on that stat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

The big Belfast Grammar schools wouldn't get a decent team between them. The likes of Rathmore, Aquinas, St Malachy's etc are all very poor football schools.  Football is down the list on level of importance in those schools. When you compare it to other counties, Omagh CBS, Maghera, St. Colman's, Abbey etc. They're all basically academies for the county teams and a lot of lads will be picking those (or getting picked) schools specifically to play football. Antrim doesn't have that at all. And anyone who goes to the Derry schools will no doubt be training to such a high level that when they finish school, they will go into a County set up that isn't half as organised as their school set up.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2017, 08:47:07 PM

Secret out MR2 ;)

Jeez MR2, do u really need to resort to sarcasm all the time?

Was making what I believe is a valid point and suggesting that Derry schools and most likely all the rest of schools/colleges in Ireland are producing better footballers/hurlers than those in Antrim.
Not a hurling person or qualified to give opinion on such but when was the last time a city based club has won a county senior championship?

paddyjohn

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 24, 2017, 09:06:10 PM

Secret out MR2 ;)

Was making what I believe is a valid point and suggesting that Derry schools and most likely all the rest of schools/colleges in Ireland are producing better footballers/hurlers than those in Antrim.
Not a hurling person or qualified to give opinion on such but when was the last time a city based club has won a county senior championship?

Rossa 2004. Scored 1-2 in the last few minutes to win it

Milltown Row2

Secret out MR2 ;)

Rossa a good few years ago now. When was the last Cargin team team win a hurling match? You made a point earlier about me not liking Cargin, I've asked you to show me where I've said that? And put it up, you haven't so are you being funny or sarcastic?

As got my joke that's all it was lad, you are way too sensitive

imtommygunn

Ai you beat loughgiel well.

Cb i would say to a point you are right. St louis has got a few good footballers through in south west too but mainly derry schools have produced the best ones. I always thought a lot of the galls guys benefited massively from university too as opposed to schools systems.

Maybe a bit harsh as occassionally st marys or la salle have done well mind...

Hurling we produce better than any in ulster anyway. Our talent is spread thinly whereas st pats maghera is almost derry hurling xv and down have their own team yet we win more than we lose.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2017, 09:11:03 PM

Would be difficult for Cargin to win a hurling game nowadays MR2 .........did win a junior championship 1937 and possible called it a day after that. Our la.dies did win a provincial camogie title lat year
Not relative to the argument, but the fact that a hugely populated area like ur city with 350,000 inhabitants (give or take a few k) haven't won a senior hurling title since '04 and it has gone away down to the country since.
By the way my comment on ur dislike of Cargin was flippant and I know u really care.....sure didn't u remain at Corrigan last term to cheer our boys off the pitch following the '16 county final. Fair play ;)

Secret out MR2 ;)

Rossa a good few years ago now. When was the last Cargin team team win a hurling match? You made a point earlier about me not liking Cargin, I've asked you to show me where I've said that? And put it up, you haven't so are you being funny or sarcastic?

As got my joke that's all it was lad, you are way too sensitive

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2017, 09:14:43 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on January 24, 2017, 09:10:50 PM

Secret out MR2 ;)

Rossa 2004. Scored 1-2 in the last few minutes to win it
Not my recollection of the game. We were well enough up for most of the second half or indeed the whole game?? And although Loughgiel scored a goal in the last minute, we won by about 7.

I stand corrected HS!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on January 24, 2017, 09:45:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 24, 2017, 09:11:03 PM

Would be difficult for Cargin to win a hurling game nowadays MR2 .........did win a junior championship 1937 and possible called it a day after that. Our la.dies did win a provincial camogie title lat year
Not relative to the argument, but the fact that a hugely populated area like ur city with 350,000 inhabitants (give or take a few k) haven't won a senior hurling title since '04 and it has gone away down to the country since.
By the way my comment on ur dislike of Cargin was flippant and I know u really care.....sure didn't u remain at Corrigan last term to cheer our boys off the pitch following the '16 county final. Fair play ;)

Secret out MR2 ;)

As for my joke that's all it was lad, you are way too sensitive

So that's a no??

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on January 24, 2017, 08:20:53 PM
For what it's worth I think we will be much improved this year. A lot of posters don't see us in the top half dozen (we finished 9th in the league last year) but if we weren't top four this year I'd be disappointed.

I think Portglenone will challenge this year, they've gained another years experience and now a fresh voice will only help them improve.

country bumpkin

You could ge right PJ.......all S West senior final ;)