Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on June 30, 2011, 10:35:47 AM
How long did he get? If he got a month that would have been up...

Yes, you're right. He probably got a month but should've got 3 - 1 for the assault and 2 for the stupidity.

AQMP

Carlow match now a 3:00pm throw-in.

Simon Says

According to hoganstand. Chris Kerr has returned to squad, to take his place as goalkeeper tomorrow? Anyone else shed any light on this?

AQMP

Is the team for today a state secret??

Atticus_Finch

Do any of you lads know how many fellas you have involved in the London setup ?

There's a lad Mcveigh that plays for them that definitely played underage for Antrim, might have also been on the fringes of the senior team at one stage.

Didn't watch the Fermanagh game, but read a report on it and noticed a McGoldrick scored for london ... is he one of your lads ?  I could be getting him confused with another lad - but there's a McGoldrick that played for St Theresas, he'd be a cousin of the McGoldricks that play for Derry, haven't heard of him about the Antrim setup for a while so was thinking it might be him.

Think i'll take a trip over to casement today, it'll get me out of the house.  Can't see Antrim bowing out today but will be interested to see whether Baker stays on when they do.  John Brennan has always maintained that he'd only look after Derry for one year and then leave. I really hope that's not the case, but if it does materialise, you would imagine Baker would throw his hat in the ring for the job.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

imtommygunn

McVeigh is the captain. He's from Ballymena and has played championship for Antrim. He marked Enda Muldoon and did a decent job against Derry one year. He's not a full back though - midfield / wing half forward for London which is where he should be playing. (a la Paul Doherty - it was round the time (hmm on reflection maybe that hasn't changed) we were struggling for a full back.)

Not sure about anyone else on it. There are pen pics on the site I had a quick flick and didn't see anyone else from antrim. Didn't notice mcgoldick but maybe he could be the st teresas guy?

AQMP

Padraig McGoldrick is from St Michael's in Sligo

Atticus_Finch

Cheers lads,  Michael magill's stint with London came a bit early by the looks of it, i'd say he'd enjoy playing ball with them at the minute and would be some addition to their team.

AQMP

Antrim 1-13 Carlow 2-09 FT

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 09, 2011, 02:12:33 PM
McVeigh is the captain. He's from Ballymena and has played championship for Antrim. He marked Enda Muldoon and did a decent job against Derry one year. He's not a full back though - midfield / wing half forward for London which is where he should be playing. (a la Paul Doherty - it was round the time (hmm on reflection maybe that hasn't changed) we were struggling for a full back.)

Not sure about anyone else on it. There are pen pics on the site I had a quick flick and didn't see anyone else from antrim. Didn't notice mcgoldick but maybe he could be the st teresas guy?

is that Mickey's son ? Would be a nephew of the McCanns, Barney, Paul Peter etc
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

I'm pretty sure it is hoof. There is a younger brother playing now too who's a carbon copy of him.

How did we only win that game by one point today - I still don't understand.

I think the team that finished on the field is definitely our best FF line at least. Cunningham , Dougan and O'Boyle probably best fit for in there with Niblock out CHF. Niblock does some serious messing with the ball. No matter how much time he had on that ball at the end of the game he got blocked down - very good player but seriously needs to cut the messing as it's so frustrating to watch. Murray I thought MOTM in second half. Johnston very good too. Not sure why Brady was taken off.

Basically start of the second half Baker had a decision to make... Leave Paddy Cunningham on the bench and lose the game or bring him on and win. It was as clear as that with the chances and the frees antrim were missing.Not sure what's going on for him to be sub.

Carlow first goal the antrim defender nearly had his leg broke and should have been a free out and one of their points was wide. However not to take away from Carlow as they showed a lot of grit.

Atticus_Finch

Not all that long back from the game, Antrim really did make hard work of that.

they came in at half time 1 point up when they should have easily been 4 or more points ahead.  In the first half Carlow  were giving James Loughrey a serious amount of space and Antrim should have inflicted more damage down that left flank than they did.  Carlow were particularly poor in the 1st half, i tihnk all of their scores bar one came from frees and they constantly gave the ball away easily in the final third.

Introduction of Cunningham and Dougan made a big difference for antrim. Dougan proved to be a right handful.  Antrim looked comfortable enough in the 2nd half until they conceded a goal with around 5 mins to go, panic set in a bit then and if it wasn't for some poor passing in the closing stages by carlow that game could have easily gone to extra time.

Agree about Niblock, too often puts the head down and runs into cul de sacs instead of giving the simple ball, was responsible for the loss of possession on a number of occasions.

carlow showed a good bit of resolve to get themselves back in the game towards the end of the second half and got a great reception from their supporters as they left the pitch.

Unless Antrim draw the winners of London or Waterford i say they'll be bowing out at the next stage.

imtommygunn

Was it just me or did you think Carlow's first goal should have disallowed??

Well I think we will learn a lot from that game with the main thing being Cunningham has to start and in my view Dougan not too far behind too.

Atticus_Finch

I didn't have a clear view of it to be honest.

Antrim had two goals disallowed, i think both were scored by Dougan,  first one was disallowed for a foul by Dougan before he scored and i take it 2nd one was disallowed for squareball. Thought the 2nd one was a close enough call.

Although in saying that the goal that Antrim did get was lucky enough, goal keeper caught the ball outside of the square and held it aloft above his head, he seemed oblivious to the impending threat of Dougan who just punched it out of his hands into the net.

Would have thought there would have been a bit more of a crowd today, maybe quite a few Saffrons opted to make the journey to Parnell Park instead.

glens abu

Have to agree with most here regading Niblock and why he doesn't start Cunningham I will never know .Lucky to come away with that win today.