Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Good result for Portglenone - anyone at the game?

Creggan probably will need a year or two more under their belt before becoming a force. Be interesting to see who gets Cargin or St Galls in the final. St Brigids or Portglenone I'd imagine.

AFS

Antrim Senior Football Championship

Gort na Mona 0-13
Lamh Dhearg 0-8

Full Time

imtommygunn

Big result for GNM.Cunningham being out probably made all the difference.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: haranguerer on July 31, 2009, 05:04:01 PM
pretty irrelevant tho - cant imagine the umpires coming up with the decision that it was exactly over the post, and thus wide; they'll just decide one way or the other, usually depending on whether its for/against the home team...

Over the post at all and it is a wide. No exactly needed.

Hometown umpires will always do what they they have always done but that doesn't mean that the rule shouldn't be clarified so that neutral/honest umpires can make their honest assessments acordingly.
Fred the Red thought (as many others do) that over the post is a score so he wouldn't have been able to make a correct judgement even if he wanted to.  Hardly irrelevant.

Glensman

Dire enough stuff at the St Galls Rasharkin match. As soon as CJ bagged a goal into the top corner with about 40 seconds gone the writing was on the wall. From there it was pedestrian enough. St Galls played within themselves.

Why oh why was Benny Hasson played at centre half back by Rasharkin? When at midfield or further forward and he gets motoring he is hard enough to stop at that level. He will need to step up if he is to break into the Antrim first team...big time. If he was taken in hand given a proper training programme and adhered to it it would compliment his other attibutes but at the minute he looks laboured and even runs dragging his feet. That said he is young enough and should come good.

Anyone at the Cargin game...they must have been on fire?
Good win for Portglenone them having been four down at half time...anyone at that one?

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: hardstation on August 02, 2009, 08:32:59 PM
Cargin 5-17
Moneyglass 0-05

Anybody got a view of this match? Were Moneyglass really that bad/Cargin that good? That's some mauling...

haranguerer

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on August 03, 2009, 10:48:34 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 31, 2009, 05:04:01 PM
pretty irrelevant tho - cant imagine the umpires coming up with the decision that it was exactly over the post, and thus wide; they'll just decide one way or the other, usually depending on whether its for/against the home team...

Over the post at all and it is a wide. No exactly needed.

Hometown umpires will always do what they they have always done but that doesn't mean that the rule shouldn't be clarified so that neutral/honest umpires can make their honest assessments acordingly.
Fred the Red thought (as many others do) that over the post is a score so he wouldn't have been able to make a correct judgement even if he wanted to.  Hardly irrelevant.

Easy lad! Didnt mean it as  an affront to your name, just reckon that if its high enough to be over the posts its far enough away from the umpires for there to be doubt as to its exact position, and so (imho!) they'll decide one way or the other without worrying about the 'over the post a wide' bit...

imtommygunn

According to the report Close scored 2-6 in half an hour for Cargin. I can only assume he was subbed at half time the way it read. Mick McCann scored 1-3, goal a penalty and Tomas McCann scored 1-2 or 1-3. Eoin O'Neill scored 4 points, scaldy a goal and a few others who I can't mind got a point or two each.

Sounds very one sided - that Moneyglass team aren't that bad either. Should be an interesting semi.

I didn't see the Cargin line-up but it'd be interesting to see where Michael McCann was played and if he was in FF like he was for Antrim.

Owen Doherty scored late on for Portglenone to win.

SambaSaffron

Moneyglass were awful , not at the races at all. Cargin were impressive though. Yeah Close taken off at half-time, may have had a knock. Michael McCann was in midfield.

pebble-dasher

Was at the mglass cargin game and portglenone creggan

Moneyglass would get beat in the junior championship, they were the worst team i think i have ever seen playing senior championship.  Think the score was 3.09 to a point after 20 mins.  Eoin o neill was played at full forward and was on fire setting up 2 goals and scoring about 4/5 points.  Tomas mc cann scored a great goal late on.  Best for cargin Kobo, best for mglass the referee

Portglenone creggan wasnt too bad a game, very strong wind and creggan should have been 6 or 7 points up at H/T, second half was good and tight with big mc carry winning everything in the middle.  Portglenone missed 2 decent goal chances.  Creggan should have levelled it up with seconds to go but missed a few chances.  Ref was truely buck mad, at a stage when there was a bit of wrecking around midfield he wouldnt sort it out and waved the kick out on.  Best for creggan Dermot mc cann best for portglenone Tony convery

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: pebble-dasher on August 03, 2009, 06:49:22 PM
Was at the mglass cargin game and portglenone creggan

Moneyglass would get beat in the junior championship, they were the worst team i think i have ever seen playing senior championship.  Think the score was 3.09 to a point after 20 mins.  Eoin o neill was played at full forward and was on fire setting up 2 goals and scoring about 4/5 points.  Tomas mc cann scored a great goal late on.  Best for cargin Kobo, best for mglass the referee

Portglenone creggan wasnt too bad a game, very strong wind and creggan should have been 6 or 7 points up at H/T, second half was good and tight with big mc carry winning everything in the middle.  Portglenone missed 2 decent goal chances.  Creggan should have levelled it up with seconds to go but missed a few chances.  Ref was truely buck mad, at a stage when there was a bit of wrecking around midfield he wouldnt sort it out and waved the kick out on.  Best for creggan Dermot mc cann best for portglenone Tony convery

Again ? He has been their most consistent player for the best part of 10 years.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

SambaSaffron

How are they in the top half of Division One then hoof hearted?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: SambaSaffron on August 03, 2009, 09:39:29 PM

whats that got to do with it ? As hardstation says i didnt say he is their only player, they have several good players, but tony rarely has a bad game. Yes men like Paddy Carey, Owen Doc and Marty McCarry on their day are good players too, it's just that Tony has been very consistant. It,s only my opinion though, no doubt others will disagree.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Glensman

Quote from: SambaSaffron on August 03, 2009, 09:39:29 PM

I thought he was talking about how are Moneyglass in the top half of Division 1? (after the abuse they took for being the worst team to play in the senior championship by pebble dasher).
Why are moneyglass in the senior championship anyway? Did Ballymena not win it last year (or have I missed a year).
Moneyglass are level on points with Portglenone and must be going rightly in the league beating St Brigids, Rasharkin, Glenavy comfortably enough.
Cargin will be very very hard to stop this year...I think a bit of naivity against St Galls last year tied with a bit of experience from St Galls got them through.

Portglenone v Cargin final methinks

Hoof Hearted

Quarter-Finals
Portglenone  v
All Saints
v
St. Brigids  v
Dunloy
-------------------------------
St. Johns  v
St. Galls
v