Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

am no expert on Antrim football (or much else as we all know) but I think all this good work from schools etc will bear no long term fruit due to what , if I am informed correctly, is a poor set up in Antrim (in football).
Would agree that all this good work will benefit the young lads, but acorns wont grow on concrete.

The CB has to start putting down more a progressive environment to foster the winning mentality and integration between city/country lads from early years. Combined u12 sides upwards, annually reviewing the panel and adding newly emerging talent to these panels all the time. There are so many things that need tobe done from this early age.
If anything Delargy could help out with other strategic men in the football realm in Antrim as it takes a combination of ideas and idealists to come up with such a vision. Delargy has done a lot of work with underage in his own club and with Antrim so would be a good man to help create such an enviroment/academy- though he wont thank me for volunteering him in this capacity - as underage development is a thankless task and is bloody tough.
That would be my idea (no not simply appointing Delargy, it could be anyone but hes v qualified) but the creation of a youth setup and kind of 'academy'. Antrim have great talent right now, enough to compete well in Ulster (in comparison to recent years), but the attitude, mindset, ethos might not be there within the players to achieve what their talent shoul dbe capable of right now. A few years underage development and you will see a stronger foundation with possibly less talent achieving more (with a good manager).
imo

saffron sam2

Are you suggesting that someone with vast knowledge and wide experience of , background and genuine interest in and undiluted passion for Antrim football should be appointed to look after the development of the game in Antrim?

There's absolutely no chance that Dr McSparran would even consider such a suggestion. Unless there is a figurehead in the county who can garner at least a modicum of respesct from the non-hurling fraternity, then Antrim football will go nowhere. Time for the good doctor either to serve the interests of all Gaels in the county equally or resign.

I note from Baker's interview, he was approached by a club. Does anyone have any idea which club?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Minder

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 21, 2008, 10:40:39 AM
Are you suggesting that someone with vast knowledge and wide experience of , background and genuine interest in and undiluted passion for Antrim football should be appointed to look after the development of the game in Antrim?

There's absolutely no chance that Dr McSparran would even consider such a suggestion. Unless there is a figurehead in the county who can garner at least a modicum of respesct from the non-hurling fraternity, then Antrim football will go nowhere. Time for the good doctor either to serve the interests of all Gaels in the county equally or resign.

I note from Baker's interview, he was approached by a club. Does anyone have any idea which club?

I put this query to the official Antrim guestbook and got the usual "mind your own business, contemptible idiot" reply, i only asked because a few weeks ago the mods on the official site were quite explicit in saying a club did not nominate Bradley yet Bradley himself said a club did. The word around the campfire is Dr Dooms club, and a footballing powerhouse, Cushendun nominated him.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Back page of tomorrow's Irish News:

McSparran Lambastes Messageboard Idiots.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Minder on November 21, 2008, 10:45:11 AM

I put this query to the official Antrim guestbook and got the usual "mind your own business, contemptible idiot" reply, i only asked because a few weeks ago the mods on the official site were quite explicit in saying a club did not nominate Bradley yet Bradley himself said a club did. The word around the campfire is Dr Dooms club, and a footballing powerhouse, Cushendun nominated him.

Sorry, my point is not who nominated him for the job, but which club decided it was worthwhile lifting the phone and ringing him to see if he was interested in the job.

There could be some logic (warped as it is) in the county board chairman, wearing his Cushendun club delegate's hat, nominating Bradley after the interviewing process.

It would be an absolute disgrace if a non-footballing club was actively targetting individuals for the position of Antrim football manager. I don't know if this was the case. Surely, if there is nothing to hide and to stop contemptible, anonymous lunatics, conspiracy theorists and rumour mongers like myself, a member of the club that originally approached The Baker or a member of the county board should be prepared to name the club involved.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

lynchbhoy

Are you suggesting that someone with vast knowledge and wide experience of , background and genuine interest in and undiluted passion for Antrim football should be appointed to look after the development of the game in Antrim?There's absolutely no chance that Dr McSparran would even consider such a suggestion. Unless there is a figurehead in the county who can garner at least a modicum of respesct from the non-hurling fraternity, then Antrim football will go nowhere. Time for the good doctor either to serve the interests of all Gaels in the county equally or resign.

yep
I knew it was too simplistic to ever be a real consideration....

imtommygunn

What is the story with the leagues now?

I have heard the cut off date is the 23rd - does this mean that by end of day sunday we know who's relegated or has there been any extension?

Could the county finalists go down?? Doesn't look good for them and should be a good match between them and st johns.

milltown row

bottom four, Gorts down so between the Johnnies Rasharkin and Lamhs. Rasharkin have two games they play Sat away to Cargin who need to win it for the league, then they are away to us on the sunday

the Jonnies are at home against Lamhs on the sunday, if they win and Rasharkin win one game then the Johnnies are down. cant see anything other than a Johnnies win >:( and Lamhs to go down ;D rashakin to lose both games and Cargin to win the league (as they always do :P)

whack for the diddle on sunday night at Corrigan, oops i mean Casement where they only drink

St. Johns        17 7 9 1 189 216 -27      15
Rasharkin        16 6 8 2 170 197 -27       14
Lamh Dhearg   17 6 9 2 186 224 -38       14
Gort Na Mona  17 3 13 1 179 229 -50      7

culchy1

st galls will not have a chance like it again to let lamhs, who tried to stir it with them in county final,
or johnnies, who tries to bully them last week, get relegated.

another conspiracy theory!

no matter what way results go on saturday, lamhs & johnnies match is a must win for both.
might be ugly!

milltown row

as long as Rasharkin stay up, and one of the other two rubbish teams go down. heart says Johnnies (after their carry on last week, pure mindless. was embbarrased for them) but my head says that Lamhs will be forced into division 2 football division 3 hurling

hightower

culchy1 could be big wkd in rasharkin when div 4 team win league and seniors stay up

Glensman

Someone told me it was Cargin that nominated Bradley...though I am not believeing anything unless verified by 2 independent sources in this day and age!
Just thought I'd say.

Good luck to him either way. He's there SS2 whether you like it or not so we might as well get behind him.
F*ck the bedgrudgers big Bradley.

Interesting weekend ahead in Division 1. Good luck Culchy.

Glensman

Predictions for what they are worth

St. Galls  Creggan Kickhams  St. Galls 22/11/2008 14:00 Walsh Gregory   Creggan
Cargin  Rasharkin  Cargin 22/11/2008 14:00 Dougan Gerard    Cargin
St. Johns  Lamh Dhearg  Corrigan Park 23/11/2008 14:00 Mullan Patrick   LD
St. Galls  Rasharkin  St. Galls 23/11/2008 14:00 Doone Raymond   St Galls
Gort Na Mona  Cargin  Gort Na Mona 23/11/2008 14:00 Toland, Brendan   Cargin

We'll see.

away on at wit ye

saffron sam, you make some very valid points most of the time, and i can see where you're coming from about the recent appointment of the new county football manager... but give it over about which club nominated the man. the fact is that he's there now and for once, ALL of us as a county should get behind him. i'm delighted to hear the St Gall's players will be returning to the squad, and also that Bradley has left the door open to Kevin McGourty. A fresh start for everyone.

now, the main issue of my post, was anyone at the senior football trials at jordanstown the other nite? i heard the trialists defeated the current panel.

who played well for the trialists? anyone look like they could step up and help antrim to a victory over Donegal?

ONeill

2 posts. Both mentioning getting Kevin McGourty back. Mmmmmm.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.