Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Antrim: S McGreevy; T Scullion, P Doherty, A McLean; L Carland, E O'Neill, S Kelly; B Hasson, J Quinn; T O'Neill, K McGourty, S McVeigh; M McCann (0-5, four frees), M Magill (0-1), N Doyle (0-3, all frees). Subs: C Murray (0-1) for Doyle, inj (40); G Crossey for McVeigh (53); M Dougan for Hasson (59).

Conor Murray is from Lamh Dhearg, younger brother of Kevin who played for Antrim a cuple of years ago. Fresher at the Polytechnic.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

loughshore lad

Sources round the loughshore indicate that Shinny McQuillan is the Cargin manager for 2008.

imtommygunn

Good win - not a bad line-up considering who's missing.

When you bring back the university boys you'll strengthen that team somewhat.

I'd say boys like Tomas McCann, CJ, Kevin O'Boyle, maybe Niblock and Aodhan Gallagher could come into that team yet. Maybe a few others who I'm missing there too.

I haven't even seen Doyle play for Cargin for a few years - has he been injured? He's not a bad player. Doesn't have quite the same pace as the brother but he's good none the less.

milltown raver

F**K that is some leap.

unfortunately didnt make the match but i hear the return of the prodigal son wasnt too great... heard  he wouldnt pass the ball, and got a right good rollicking from Jody at half time...
antrim always seem to struggle around midfield and a player not mentioned above who could fill that role is Sean Burke, think hes part of the squad but is with queens at the minute

pebble-dasher

conor murry has the biggest leap in the world, he is playing great stuff for uuj freshers. 

BallyhaiseMan

lads how many regulars did ye have playing last night,that would probably be there come championship time?

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on January 10, 2008, 05:10:49 PM
There were a few shouts from the crowd for him to pass it more but it's Antrim, we shout about everything.

haha we do shout about everything and anything--its like the Andytown News all over again!!

great leap by Murray

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

saffron sam2

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 10, 2008, 08:57:07 PM
lads how many regulars did ye have playing last night,that would probably be there come championship time?

I would think that come championship McGreevy, Doherty, McLean, Kelly, Quinn, McGourty, McCann and Magill (with the correct attitude) would all be starters.

Of the others who played, Scullion, O'Neill x 2, Hasson, McVeigh & Dougan have previous senior experience, but may not make the starting 15. Hasson looks to have the best chance of this lot.

It may be a year too early for young Murray and Burke.

With Bradys (Colin & possibly Kevin), Tomas McCann, CJ, Paddy Cunningham, Loughrey & Crozier also in the mix, there is plenty of talent available. Add in other possibilities like the Closes, Beller, Gaga etc.

Priority has to be promotion from division 4 and hence non-qualification for Tommy Murphy. The Wicklow game will make or break our season.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

BallyhaiseMan

Lots of talent there in Antrim it seems,justt hope this year isnt the one ye get it all together(in the championship at least)  :P

we had 5/6 definite starters and a few newcomers who are likelys so it was well matched.

Minder

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on January 10, 2008, 09:35:08 PM
Lots of talent there in Antrim it seems,justt hope this year isnt the one ye get it all together(in the championship at least)  :P

we had 5/6 definite starters and a few newcomers who are likelys so it was well matched.

I just hope we dont suffer yet another false dawn and set the expectations too high, and i also hope we do our talking on the pitch not the usual spouting in papers about what we will do.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: loughshore lad on January 10, 2008, 09:19:29 AM
Sources round the loughshore indicate that Shinny McQuillan is the Cargin manager for 2008.

soucres are spot on...are Cargin to spent more time in the bars this year than the pitch

WolfeTone

lol i see you're your usual diplomatic self max :D...the subtlety of a sledge hammer
Bar St. Galls, i thought that was the norm in most antrim clubs?
Dougal: What's going on?
Priest: I think Ted has a plan
Dougal: No. I mean in general.

milltown row

they drink in our club to. always a drink culture in the belfast clubs.

we do have a core of players on the senior team who would not drink too much, then others that drink too much.

loughshore lad

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 11, 2008, 10:11:14 AM
Quote from: loughshore lad on January 10, 2008, 09:19:29 AM

soucres are spot on...are Cargin to spent more time in the bars this year than the pitch

Max, from what I can gather he was a lot, lot cheaper than their alternative candidate  ;)

Maximus Marillius

From my sources ..which are Cargin sources...infact a teacher friend of mine who is very involved in the club and was at the agm...needless to say he is disgusted with the continued internal fighting...appartently Cargin had passed a by law a few years back saying that they would not take outside managers. The new chairman came in was unable to change the rule and has to wait to put it through next years AGM...