Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 29, 2023, 02:21:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2023, 01:01:59 PM
What would the playing population (football wise) in Antrim be? Chat on another thread was that you need over 9,000 players to reach senior finals either Ulster or All Ireland level

Really? Haven't seen the other thread, but that doesn't make sense. The equivalent of 90 clubs with 100 adult players each. Doubt if many counties have that.

The Monaghan figure mentioned above suggests roughly 50 clubs, with 100 adult players.

Hurling Registered Playing Population

Cork (25,600)
Tipperary (14,260)
Dublin (13,980)
Galway (12,520)
Kilkenny (10,080)
Limerick (9,980)

if You want to win an All Ireland, Chances are you will need over 9k registered Players

131 Hurling Clubs in the Whole of Ulster v 210 in Cork alone
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Truth hurts

The Downeys are listed as Lavey players for tonight

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 29, 2023, 03:57:55 PM

No Official transfer through as of yet.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2023, 03:51:00 PM
What would the playing population (football wise) in Antrim be? Chat on another thread was that you need over 9,000 players to reach senior finals either Ulster or All Ireland level

Really? Haven't seen the other thread, but that doesn't make sense. The equivalent of 90 clubs with 100 adult players each. Doubt if many counties have that.

The Monaghan figure mentioned above suggests roughly 50 clubs, with 100 adult players.

Cork (25,600)
Tipperary (14,260)
Dublin (13,980)
Galway (12,520)
Kilkenny (10,080)
Limerick (9,980)

if You want to win an All Ireland, Chances are you will need over 9k registered Players

But that's saying that each club in cork has an average of over 120 adult hurlers. I know there'll be the urban super clubs, but the figures are hard to believe.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: bannside on March 29, 2023, 02:46:48 PM
Are you still in that age bracket Champ, lol....must be a photo finish!

1997 since I was a registered adult player, 40 years after my last appearance on the silver screen.

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2023, 01:38:06 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 29, 2023, 12:23:56 PM
Has any county a plan - by that I mean a 5/10 year plan or is it a case of make it up as they go?

The top level stuff is a business but I don't see it.

At inter-county level, it just seems short-sighted. A new manager in...for a year or two. Then he gets the boot and another comes in etc. etc. No planning at all, just doodling along feom year to year.

The lesser counties - very much ourselves included - fall into this category. Our games are that advanced that you need about 2-3 years to get players to the right level of fitness and conditioning for county. We change manages, and squads, regularly so there is no continuity and then players never get to the required pace.

You see now that Gleeson being in a few years has got us some continuity but the football has been a disaster for changing. We need to stick with someone and if not stick with a core set of players at least.

I imagine following on twitter would be the best you would get antrimman but not sure.

Good point regarding Gleeson.

The same applies to S & C also.  Need the same people involved in that to see what the players have done and their targets etc.

Football is not organised at all.

Just from day to day.

ck

Quote from: InnocentByStander on March 29, 2023, 04:06:16 PM

I thought 2 had gone through with 4 to follow. (Source: Wooly Parkinson / Smaller Fish Podcast).

ck

Quote from: bannside on March 29, 2023, 10:17:38 AM
Disagree Spike tbh, but sure it's only individual opinions. Andys opinion is the one that matters, and yes he will want to put on a good show against Armagh.

But - its a long time since we judged any manager on the championship, we all know Antrims priority is being competitive / successful in our own grade. Now that the GAA has put additional emphasis on the Tailteean Cup its a competition we should be embracing.

We want to be competitive against Armagh- but personally I would love to win the Tailltean,  I think that would give us a much bigger boost than you think and set us up really well for a proper crack at Div 3 next year.

To translate that thinking to club football and equate it to bring mentally weak it should be pointed out that before any club has aspirations of winning a senior championship it needs to navigate its way through junior , intermediate and the lower leagues to earn the right to dine in that company. We all know that's not where we are atm, so why not prioritise the competition of the grade we are at?

Agree with this. I think the huge mistake made last year was to put everything into the Cavan match and after a hammering the Tailteann Cup was an after thought and another bad beating ensued (after a number of withdrawals). The wheels came off for McGinley and his inexperience showed. I think McEntee will be smarter in his approach.

oakleaflad

Quote from: ck on March 29, 2023, 05:41:59 PM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on March 29, 2023, 04:06:16 PM

I thought 2 had gone through with 4 to follow. (Source: Wooly Parkinson / Smaller Fish Podcast).
Transfer List is up to date until yesterday and they aren't on it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 29, 2023, 05:02:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2023, 03:51:00 PM

Cork (25,600)
Tipperary (14,260)
Dublin (13,980)
Galway (12,520)
Kilkenny (10,080)
Limerick (9,980)

But that's saying that each club in cork has an average of over 120 adult hurlers. I know there'll be the urban super clubs, but the figures are hard to believe.

I didn't produce them but this was a topic on a hurling thread when discussing what it takes to get to the top, there was no link to that post that I've cut and pasted across btw
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Two up with a few minutes to go

Extra time :-X

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2023, 08:44:39 PM

An Antrim team losing a lead.. be some uproar on social media about this 🤐😉

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 29, 2023, 09:11:04 PM

Sack him!!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2023, 09:12:46 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 29, 2023, 09:11:04 PM

Sack him!!

Put him down the road bais

Milltown Row2

Could be penalties at this rate