Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caesar

The current system requires that every club must put forward a referee. Failure to do so results in significant punishments for the club. Undoubtedly this leads to some referees reluctantly taking up the role without actually wanting to do it which is never a good start.

Not quite sure what the incentives should be but there should definitely be more positive incentives to encourage people to proactively take up the role. More carrot, less stick.

marty34

Quote from: Caesar on March 15, 2023, 12:03:14 PM
The current system requires that every club must put forward a referee. Failure to do so results in significant punishments for the club. Undoubtedly this leads to some referees reluctantly taking up the role without actually wanting to do it which is never a good start.

Not quite sure what the incentives should be but there should definitely be more positive incentives to encourage people to proactively take up the role. More carrot, less stick.

Yeah, there should be more 'positive discrimination' for referees to get more involved.

I suppose it's only taken from a small pool of people as any lads between 30 -50, for example maybe have kids and will volunteer for coaching their kids' age groups etc. I think.

NAG1

Quote from: marty34 on March 15, 2023, 12:30:02 PM
Quote from: Caesar on March 15, 2023, 12:03:14 PM

Yeah, there should be more 'positive discrimination' for referees to get more involved.

I suppose it's only taken from a small pool of people as any lads between 30 -50, for example maybe have kids and will volunteer for coaching their kids' age groups etc. I think.

I'd say if you looked at it, most of the refs are currently already in this bracket and doing the coaching and volunteering within their clubs along with the refereeing.

I would imagine especially down the age grades if clubs looked more closely at the behaviour of their mentors and some parents toward them this would be a start.

Saffsof82

Anybody giving us a chance of picking up points on Saturday against Cavan?

Saul goodman

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 16, 2023, 01:05:20 PM

Apparently a lot of lads out injured prob best to focus on the Longford game

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 16, 2023, 01:05:20 PM

Yes definitely in with a chance of getting something from this one. The last day was an aberration, on the whole the matches have been close in this campaign. I think this will be as well, maybe another high scoring one as well.

Belfast GAA man

cavan ase good as promoted so hopefully dont come fully loaded

realisticsaff

MR with the big one on Sunday 👀

bannside

EMG had access to the best players in the county and Cavan toyed with us. There were lists going around at the start of the league showing up to a dozen players retired or unavailable....on top of that Ryan, Jordan , Dermot, are on injured list along with two or three others!

The team Andy sends out will have a real rookie look to it so if we are competitive against a Cavan team who are looking every inch a team still progressing and heading straight to Div 2 I'll be happily surprised.

Antrim are a work in progress, full of transition, and Longford away is definitely no gimme either. Time for cool heads and a bit of trust as well as patience. IMO...

BrendanAntrim

Agree with all of that Bannside except...the performance in championship against Cavan was pitiful in every respect, setup, tactics (or lack of), player management in advance, lack of ambition,....all of it was just lamentable. There is none of that air about the current setup.

realisticsaff

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 16, 2023, 08:04:28 PM
Agree with all of that Bannside except...the performance in championship against Cavan was pitiful in every respect, setup, tactics (or lack of), player management in advance, lack of ambition,....all of it was just lamentable. There is none of that air about the current setup.

Worst defence in all 4 divisions
-31 score difference
1 win in 7 in all competitions soon to 8

Explain to me how that isnt pitiful?

bannside

Sure, those aren't good stats. Pitiful isn't an exaggeration. But we have been pitiful for years haven't we -
bouncing around the basement divisions.

Of those 8 games which ones were you expecting to win, as we were huge odds against in the vast majority of them. And what would you like to see done differently or that Andy hasn't thought of? Honest question...not looking to have a huge debate.

EOC1923

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 16, 2023, 08:04:28 PM
This current team lost their previous game by 31 points, you must of been away on holiday for that one.

realisticsaff

Do you genuinely think this manager cares a hoot if we get beat/ get relegated? It was a baffling appointment that's been a disaster

Sportacus

Quote from: realisticsaff on March 16, 2023, 09:27:37 PM
Do you genuinely think this manager cares a hoot if we get beat/ get relegated? It was a baffling appointment that's been a disaster
Who would you have preferred realistically?