Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 20, 2022, 02:20:52 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 20, 2022, 12:01:25 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 20, 2022, 11:57:20 AM
It's good to see an increase in the number of Antrim players being selected for UUJ compared to just a few years ago when Saffron representation was noticeably low. Think there's about 9 on the Freshers panel alone this year and four or five on senior panel. Can only be good for Antrim.

Done a few games already at the college, they have some lads coming through, it must be a magnet for GAA..

Low entry grades and scholarships surely?

UU just been rated in the top 40 universities in the Uk

imtommygunn

They've had huge numbers for years. I was in one of the years where we got to the provincial minor final in the summer and only one player (brady) could get on the first team. Not one other player could get in the two teams. (I think Convery from Portglenone got on for the 2nds in the end).

referee

Hearing Ballymena sounding out a couple off Derry men to take the reins next season

barnish oggie

Quote from: referee on October 20, 2022, 04:24:57 PM
Hearing Ballymena sounding out a couple off Derry men to take the reins next season

1 post  ???

I am pretty sure you joined here a while back with that username, posted a few rumours then disappeared again.

Or do you delete all your posts after a while and then restart when you hear a rumour?

Is that the tactic?

referee

BO your not far off the mark,take a sabbatical from time to time,time will tell if it's a rumour,talking to a club chairman today who let me know they've approached their manager,who took them this year,again you make out off it what you want

EOC1923

Funny I noticed that myself. They definitely transferred in about half that team that got to Macrory final last year. Think it was 7/8 from one school in Coalisland alone.

Caesar

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 20, 2022, 09:30:50 PM
Funny I noticed that myself. They definitely transferred in about half that team that got to Macrory final last year. Think it was 7/8 from one school in Coalisland alone.

I believe these boys transferred from a school which doesn't offer sixth form and it is the norm for many of them to transfer to HTC at that age.
No doubt the footballing ethos and ambitions (which seems to be missing in Antrim schools) played a factor in the decision to join HTC over other schools in the area.

country bumpkin

Had a quick look there at the 'Devenish All Star awards', and was wondering how many of the recipients were in fact nominated in the positions they were successful.
And, with all respects to those who made the decisions, not the voting voting public, just how did Adam Loughran not get an award.....??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 21, 2022, 10:19:58 AM
Had a quick look there at the 'Devenish All Star awards', and was wondering how many of the recipients were in fact nominated in the positions they were successful.
And, with all respects to those who made the decisions, not the voting voting public, just how did Adam Loughran not get an award.....??

Who would you take out for Adam? If you had a vote?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffsof82

I thought it was great to see a couple of Pearses lads get awards and be recognised, plus big Kevin, what a warrior he has been for Dunloy down the years.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on October 21, 2022, 10:44:29 AM
https://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/325459

"I'm heavily involved with my own club. I'm on the committee and a coach. We all are volunteers because we enjoy it and we love it."

But because you are a referee you're a......  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

barnish oggie

Quote from: Saffsof82 on October 21, 2022, 10:45:46 AM
I thought it was great to see a couple of Pearses lads get awards and be recognised, plus big Kevin, what a warrior he has been for Dunloy down the years.

I agree, last year I thought a few more lads from Div 2 and 3 teams should have got awards, so it was good to see a bit of recognition for those divisions this year.

EOC1923

Quote from: barnish oggie on October 21, 2022, 10:56:14 AM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on October 21, 2022, 10:45:46 AM

I agree, last year I thought a few more lads from Div 2 and 3 teams should have got awards, so it was good to see a bit of recognition for those divisions this year.
I agree with all championships being included, gives everyone something to aspire to.

Spike

Have to say I disagree on this point.   Pearses and Dunloy should be fully recognised and deservedly given full Allstars treatment but at their own championship level.

Senior championship is operating at a higher grade, is more difficult and therefore should be recognised as such.

Am not trying to detract from the Junior or Intermediate championships but those who had a great year in the senior championship such as Adam Loughran, should not be missing out just so someone, playing in a lesser competition can get an allstar.   It doesn't happen at national level.   

Caveat: Recognise the Devenish may not want to sponsor 3 awards either!