Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2021, 09:20:03 PM
From what I've seen of the under 20's it's between a few teams, I wouldn't put us as favourites.

Modesty forbids.....

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2021, 09:20:03 PM
From what I've seen of the under 20's it's between a few teams, I wouldn't put us as favourites.
[/te]

Although only a few made your senior panel their display at Toome ensured warm favourite status...

Cargin had three under 20s on their start team v Galls and 10 included on their panel....

Saffsof82

Quote from: antrimman667 on November 10, 2021, 03:34:05 PM
Anyone know of any new players that will be brought into the 2022 Antrim Squad

Ronan kelly and Ruari Hagan and Paudie McLaughlin asked in I heard but not sure if true

Kickham csc

So after predicting a Creggan loss in the semi, not sure what to do for the final. The character in the squad cannot be questioned, after two heart breaking final losses against our close neighbors, losing three key players for this years championship, I thought that this year was going to be a miss. Hopefully we'll have enough in the final, but Aghagallan are a team to be feared and I expect the final to be a close game.

Had a wee chuckle to myself reading the article on Aghagallan's recent history in Saffron Gael, as I realized I played in a number of the major achievements highlighted. Aghagallan beat Creggan in the SWA Junior final in Cargin in '88. They beat us well in the end and they had a really good young footballing team. I think we beat them the following year but for about four or five years we had a number of good hard games.

Creggan won Div 2 in 94 and we finally got over the line in Aghagallan. We took a team photo that day and in the backgound you could see some bemused 'gallan players wondering what all the fuss was about. Those were the days when you'd wait a while for league tables to be published and they were genuinely surprised we'd won. (There were better teams in the div, but we won nearly every game by a point or two)

When we won the Div 2 in 04 (I think) Aghagallan gave us a good beating in a council pitch in Lurgan, and we sneaked past them in the qtr or semi final.

I always enjoyed playing against Aghagallan and both clubs have come a long way from that 88 final

Hoof Hearted

You'd think you'd have learned how to spell Aghagallon by this stage!!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

bannside

If Creggan win there's no one can say they don't deserve it after so many near misses and heartache in recent years.

Aghagallon are going to be around for a while, their dominance at underage in SW in recent years will ensure that. I'd love to see David Mc Alernon win a championship. He was one of the standout players in teams I was involved with that included greats like Paddy Cunningham, Andy Mc Lean, Kevin Niblock, Michael Mc Cann. A true gentleman on and off the pitch.

Having said that I feel Creggan are further forward in their development right now and will finally cross the line.

geezer

Cant call it to be honest. If creggan had small and quinn available id go for them. Although they have proved they have the squad to cope without them. As was said previous on here, aghagallon have that dogged side to them coincided with the quality they have up front.

Could be won or lost in the middle of the field, creggans duo are 2 serious operators. On the other hand, loughran and walsh are 2 very hard men to keep under wraps and they could have a big say.

Think both teams are sound defensively so will come down to which team make the most of their attacking opportunities in my opinion.

rogercasement

The draw at 8/1 might be worth 50 pence on Sunday.

Belfast GAA man

did aghagallon get beat a couple of times in the group stages and Creggan are undefeated? that and Creggan beating Cargin would make them More deserving winners to me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 11, 2021, 09:23:41 PM
did aghagallon get beat a couple of times in the group stages and Creggan are undefeated? that and Creggan beating Cargin would make them More deserving winners to me

Deserving?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

I'd put it 50/50
If they played each other 10 times Creggan would win 7/8 times
Throw in a one off game with Creggan ( having lost 2 outta the last 3 finals ) and Aghagallon with nothing to lose - then.......
It will come down to a mentality

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2021, 09:25:43 PM

Deserving?
get a dictionary or google it

country bumpkin

A special occasion on the Corrigan sod come Sunday evening as only the second club from the South West are destined to become only the second from that board to be crowned Senior Football champions.

Opinion does seem divided but Creggan will start as warm
favourites and they may well shade it.

However the Kickham's men will obviously look for more productivity from their forward department which only had a single score from play in their semi win over Cargin.
Odhran Mc Larnon raised that only white flag from play in the 60+ minutes.

Creggan do have experience on such high profile occasion and such may well prove the difference but Aghagallon are well enough equipped to ensure a close affair.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 11, 2021, 09:43:43 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 11, 2021, 09:35:17 PM
I'd put it 50/50
If they played each other 10 times Creggan would win 7/8 times
;D

I know but read the rest - it ain't a maths exam!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 11, 2021, 09:48:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2021, 09:25:43 PM

Deserving?
get a dictionary or google it

I know what it means.

You're saying Creggan deserve it for beating St Galls twice, Gorts once and Cargin, St Mary's won 4 games in the group stages so have come through a tougher group. As only 2 from four went through rather than 2 from three (in Creggans group) when one team didn't play one of their games!

Not sure on your deserving statement.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea