Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaffgael

Co Board/Co Officials have made the mistake. Not Portglenone.

Will it be free admission to the replay since co boards mistake?

Truth hurts

it's up to the co-board to enforce the rules, the junior final finished on penos in the correct manner. The senior semi should have went to penalties, a replay is what should happen.

Flanker

Quote from: asaffgael on November 01, 2021, 10:57:13 AM
Co Board/Co Officials have made the mistake. Not Portglenone.

Will it be free admission to the replay since co boards mistake?

Did you get the guidelines?

Did your officials / Management read them?

paddyjohn

Whose fault was it that it was handled incorrectly?

geezer

Was a great game of football to watch from a neutral point of view. Understand where PG1 are coming from but looks to just be a case of sour grapes. Both teams had the same chance to win, no team had an advantage. Both seemed to agree on how it was played out. Why didnt PG1 say to match officials or county representatives before 2nd period of ET? PG1 should just take their medicine.

bannside

Lads I'm torn here tbh. Just because I'm telling you the view coming out if Portglenone does not mean this sits easy with me. We know we were beaten on the field, Aghagallon were better than us on the day (one point after 100 minutes) and I genuinely wished them well after the match. A good club with good people. I'd say a lot of clubs would be conflicted by this, just happens to be us atm.

If I had to vote one way or the other on it, I really couldn't be sure. There needs to be integrity in sport, that I don't doubt. I also offer the view that if the rules had been upheld (assuming they were not) then Casements MAY have had a better opportunity to win the game.

But I don't get a vote, my opinion will not make one difference. This is a discussion forum, nothing gets sorted out here. Let the big wigs sort it out.

JimStynes

Brendan Crossan gets half his stories from here sure!

Truth hurts

Quote from: bannside on November 01, 2021, 11:19:33 AM
Lads I'm torn here tbh. Just because I'm telling you the view coming out if Portglenone does not mean this sits easy with me. We know we were beaten on the field, Aghagallon were better than us on the day (one point after 100 minutes) and I genuinely wished them well after the match. A good club with good people. I'd say a lot of clubs would be conflicted by this, just happens to be us atm.

If I had to vote one way or the other on it, I really couldn't be sure. There needs to be integrity in sport, that I don't doubt. I also offer the view that if the rules had been upheld (assuming they were not) then Casements MAY have had a better opportunity to win the game.

But I don't get a vote, my opinion will not make one difference. This is a discussion forum, nothing gets sorted out here. Let the big wigs sort it out.

If you have the cup in your cup ina few weeks, integrity does not come into it unfortunately, every club in Ireland would do the same.

JimStynes

You know the right thing is that Pg1 take their beaten fair and square. Like we would have done if it went the other way. The Pg1 boys were in the pub yesterday after the game and when Creggan won someone has decided to go with the loophole. Everyone in the ground were happy enough with the 5 mins extra extra time, including antrim officials, both management, players and referee and his team. It is very sour grapes and really takes the taste off the whole thing for us. Hopefully common sense prevails but we all know about the GAA and loopholes.

JimStynes

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 01, 2021, 11:23:31 AM

If you have the cup in your cup ina few weeks, integrity does not come into it unfortunately, every club in Ireland would do the same.

and a big asterisk beside that win

the colonel

Normally regulations will say 'Finish on the Day' but may not be explicit in terms of how many periods of extra time are required. People expect that penalties would be the final determining factor to get a result. How many periods of extra time could then be left open to interpretation if not completely made clear in the regulations.

Presumably some official at the Junior final got it right, at someone in the senior game got it wrong.
the difference between success and failure is energy

Truth hurts

I feel for you and your club Jim, unfortunately, I can only see one way this is going and its replay.

Flanker

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 01, 2021, 11:03:58 AM
Whose fault was it that it was handled incorrectly?
I think everyone is in agreement that it was handled incorrectly and a mistake was made.

Most people would agree that what happened did not favour either team.

It appears that officials, management  & players were happy with proceedings at the time

It appears that everyone was accepting of the result after what was an enthralling and sporting contest.

If the guidelines rules were distributed correctly and club officials management didn't read them or ignored them then sometimes you have to hold your hand up and say we weren't as diligent as we could have been.

Most people believe that games should be sorted in the field unless there is a major injustice.

In this case there was an error / mistake made ( by all 3 parties)

This didn't favour anyone and all parties were happy at the time.

Yes a mistake was made, lessons can be learn't by all parties
Culpability accross the board and Antrim CC ultimately carry the can.

Most people other than PG1 on the board seem to be of the view that it would be poor form to waive the rule book given the 90 minutes played.

It is a pity that it happened given the  games over the weekend with a lot of competitive games an a lot of interest generated.

delgany

Quote from: Mickey Linden on November 01, 2021, 09:49:10 AM
Quote from: bannside on November 01, 2021, 09:41:13 AM
St Comghalls and Rasharkin in junior final played 10 mins extra time and then straight to penalties. But a different logic was applied for senior??

FFS you can't be going round making up your own rules. Someone got this right....and someone got it wrong!! That decision MAY have cost a club a county final appearance.

If shoe was on other foot, would Aghagallon appeal??

Personally BS, I dont think they would. Yesterday was a great sporting game played by 2 good teams. The better team won after an epic encounter. I thought PG1 were very gracious in defeat and wished Aghagallon all the best in the final. Yesterday was a great advertisement for the Antrim club game IMO. 2 very good semi finals. Despite all the doom and gloom around Antrim football recently on this board, yesterday was one of the good days.

There were three  seperate 'rulings' for tied games

1. SFC konck out games  - Extra time .Then penalties.
2. SFC Final - Extra time  10 mins each way . Then a replay.
3. SFC Final REPLAY - Extra Time ( 10mins) , then Extra time if 5 mins e.w. Then Penalties.

IFC /JFC - all games - extra time, followed by penalties.

BigBallWeeBall

I was told last night that the procedure for ET and EET and then pens were issued to clubs should this situation occur.
Also told that this would only apply to senior championship and hence junior went to ET and penalties. Bit of a c**k up all round though but don't think PG1 have grounds for an appeal and IMHO should not take this forward. Also the lads in work from City clubs are laughing at the SW over this. Embarrassing.
On another note great result for Creggan finally putting Cargin to the sword.
Didn't see the game but assume Creggan had more hunger in the day.