Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaffgael

Why has Sean Laverty not been doing any games?

Calm Down

Good question, is he too busy with intercounty stuff or is he injured or something?

Also don't see Karol Doc out much either

Quote from: asaffgael on September 03, 2021, 10:40:07 AM
Why has Sean Laverty not been doing any games?

JimStynes

Quote from: BealnaBlath on September 03, 2021, 10:20:12 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 02, 2021, 03:51:25 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 02, 2021, 03:34:17 PM
Was I watching the Same match? LD weren't only to blame surely. Aghagallon seemed to try and boot the Murray with the yellow hair out of the match all night . The Aghagallon boys who got sent off deserved it though maybe the ref or linesmen didn't see a LD aggression in the melee but that doesnt mean the Aghagallon boys were innocent
He deserved a good booting for dying his hair blonde in the first place, he's about 30 and he's up to that carry on.
Agree with the above as well, referee was shocking and linesmen were just as bad. Blinkers on all night and afraid to show LD men cards. Seems to be one rule for the big clubs and another for the rest

Referee seemed to be very consistent and the two commentators alluded to this. I thought he was decent too, the black card to Murray was deserved and didn't seem to be afraid to give a card in that situation?

The same player (Murray) seemed to be on the end of constant off the ball. Jerome and Caoimhe Morgan were very diplomatic but made it quite obvious in a round about away. The number 2 should have been off well before he was. I believe the first game he was also very lucky that no lineman were watching as not once did he look at the ball for 60 mins (a rival from the same group assures me this was the case).

The melee at the end seemed to be caused by a wrestling match between forward/defender, then the young lad Number 15 for Agh ran a serious distance to spark a melee.. The melee continued and I'm sure both teams were no angels, probably difficult to make out. 2 yellow cards handed out between both teams ( one ended up being a second it seemed).. Young number 15 then struck again after the melee had ended by the looks of the video, which explains his red.

Looked like two good teams going at it with a very boisterous crowd, team with the better discipline and experience got over the line on the night. Think this Agh team have serious potential and wouldn't be surprised to see the two meet again further in comp if Agh concentrate on playing football. LD seem to be easy target in this case because of their notoriety as one of the bigger clubs. They didn't react to the obvious targeting of their multiple star county players. Still don't think they have enough though, Creggan or Cargin. Hopefully more games online so we can see everyone and get better call as to should be putting the money on with Paddy Power 😊

That's definitely not the way I saw things and the 4 neutrals I was standing beside. I literally watched Murray punching a young fella in the stomach and then jumped to the ground holding his face. Not a finger put on him but from turning round it would look like he got stabbed. The melee at the end was started when one of the young subs was wrestled to the ground and punched a few times and boys jumped in to help him. The linesman needed to notice some of these incident and put a stop to it. The boys I was standing beside play in Division 1 in Armagh and a couple are on the county team. They were laughing and saying how do these boys play county together and how was half the teams not sent off by linesmen and umpires. The ref made a few stupid calls but he would have needed eyes in the back of his head to see all the wee niggly incidents. I actually didn't think it was that bad until the last 20 mins and even that was just more handbags than anything. All the nonsense aside the more experienced LD team deserved the win against a young Aghagallon outfit.

GiveItToTheShooters

Was I watching the Same match? LD weren't only to blame surely. Aghagallon seemed to try and boot the Murray with the yellow hair out of the match all night . The Aghagallon boys who got sent off deserved it though maybe the ref or linesmen didn't see a LD aggression in the melee but that doesnt mean the Aghagallon boys were innocent
He deserved a good booting for dying his hair blonde in the first place, he's about 30 and he's up to that carry on.
Agree with the above as well, referee was shocking and linesmen were just as bad. Blinkers on all night and afraid to show LD men cards. Seems to be one rule for the big clubs and another for the rest

Referee seemed to be very consistent and the two commentators alluded to this. I thought he was decent too, the black card to Murray was deserved and didn't seem to be afraid to give a card in that situation?

The same player (Murray) seemed to be on the end of constant off the ball. Jerome and Caoimhe Morgan were very diplomatic but made it quite obvious in a round about away. The number 2 should have been off well before he was. I believe the first game he was also very lucky that no lineman were watching as not once did he look at the ball for 60 mins (a rival from the same group assures me this was the case).

The melee at the end seemed to be caused by a wrestling match between forward/defender, then the young lad Number 15 for Agh ran a serious distance to spark a melee.. The melee continued and I'm sure both teams were no angels, probably difficult to make out. 2 yellow cards handed out between both teams ( one ended up being a second it seemed).. Young number 15 then struck again after the melee had ended by the looks of the video, which explains his red.

Looked like two good teams going at it with a very boisterous crowd, team with the better discipline and experience got over the line on the night. Think this Agh team have serious potential and wouldn't be surprised to see the two meet again further in comp if Agh concentrate on playing football. LD seem to be easy target in this case because of their notoriety as one of the bigger clubs. They didn't react to the obvious targeting of their multiple star county players. Still don't think they have enough though, Creggan or Cargin. Hopefully more games online so we can see everyone and get better call as to should be putting the money on with Paddy Power 😊
Aghagallon did concentrate on playing football. You say LD had better discipline but only because the ref never had the balls to card them. Murray was giving it just as much as he was taking it. 15 for Aghagallon ran in to break it up yet was the one that got the line. Looked at the video again and didn't see any strike only several LD players trying to antagonise.
Didn't see any "obvious targeting of their multiple star county players" either  ;D

Mickey Linden

Great first post. Welcome to the board. LD very disciplined. A model club in many ways. Hopefully the referees going forward can offer their star players more protection and they have every chance of winning the lot. LD an easy target indeed.

Milltown Row2

Having done this game in the past it is a poisonous fixture of late, maybe its the management that have allowed this to filter down to the players and it comes on to the pitch, or the players have come up against each other a lot recently and things have turned nasty between them, it happens, doesn't make ok though. 

The referee can only deal with what he sees and is told, linesmen are not always watching what's on behind them either so its infuriating when you ask and no one sees and you can't apply anything..

Can you imagine how good a game it would be if the players wanted the ball and not the man? Be a decent game.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: BealnaBlath on September 03, 2021, 02:09:30 PM
Nobody is here to castigate clubs amd say this club is a model one and such. It is an opinion on the match itself. Every club has positives and negatives. I do think referees and linesmen in Antrim are good in general and can't be blamed for any of this.

Murray isn't a dirty player from watching him for county and club, he does get special treatment every game I have watched him, as is young Loughran to be fair. But he did strike and didn't seem to argue too much on the video with the ref when carded.

I tend to sway with the team that's in front and one that has "star" forwards when it comes to these situations, up to that final 10 it was a super game between two close teams. My thoughts are why would the team in front and especially their forwards who want to play football get involved with anything.

Reliably informed by the neutral from a team in same group at the first game that Aghagallon had a man sent off for striking another of LDs forward off the ball and an umpire alerted the ref.

We need to protect our footballers across the board in the GAA. Refs can only do so much. Not saying that coaches should let the main men for other teams have a free reign, but at least try to stop them by fair, hard defensive play rather than antagonise and physically/verbally abuse for 60-70 mins.

Championship is heating up and good to see we're playing football this year and even seeing some surprising results across the board.
You obviously didnt watch the game then. He didnt strike was trying to stop his mate on the floor from wrestling with LD man. Funny that he was seen and none of the LD players were.
Funny your "neutral" or umpire from the first game didn't see the headbutt and strike from LD forward in the lead up to it.

Calm Down

From looking at the video it appears that the umpire at the top end where the melee happened was wearing a red LD hooded top, hardly surprised he didn't see anything

Quote from: JimStynes on September 03, 2021, 01:05:31 PM

That's definitely not the way I saw things and the 4 neutrals I was standing beside. I literally watched Murray punching a young fella in the stomach and then jumped to the ground holding his face. Not a finger put on him but from turning round it would look like he got stabbed. The melee at the end was started when one of the young subs was wrestled to the ground and punched a few times and boys jumped in to help him. The linesman needed to notice some of these incident and put a stop to it. The boys I was standing beside play in Division 1 in Armagh and a couple are on the county team. They were laughing and saying how do these boys play county together and how was half the teams not sent off by linesmen and umpires. The ref made a few stupid calls but he would have needed eyes in the back of his head to see all the wee niggly incidents. I actually didn't think it was that bad until the last 20 mins and even that was just more handbags than anything. All the nonsense aside the more experienced LD team deserved the win against a young Aghagallon outfit.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Calm Down on September 03, 2021, 02:28:32 PM
From looking at the video it appears that the umpire at the top end where the melee happened was wearing a red LD hooded top, hardly surprised he didn't see anything

Quote from: JimStynes on September 03, 2021, 01:05:31 PM

The ref was wearing LD shorts and socks also

stiffler

Quote from: BealnaBlath on September 03, 2021, 02:35:00 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 03, 2021, 02:20:59 PM
Nobody is here to castigate clubs amd say this club is a model one and such. It is an opinion on the match itself. Every club has positives and negatives. I do think referees and linesmen in Antrim are good in general and can't be blamed for any of this.

Murray isn't a dirty player from watching him for county and club, he does get special treatment every game I have watched him, as is young Loughran to be fair. But he did strike and didn't seem to argue too much on the video with the ref when carded.

I tend to sway with the team that's in front and one that has "star" forwards when it comes to these situations, up to that final 10 it was a super game between two close teams. My thoughts are why would the team in front and especially their forwards who want to play football get involved with anything.

Reliably informed by the neutral from a team in same group at the first game that Aghagallon had a man sent off for striking another of LDs forward off the ball and an umpire alerted the ref.

We need to protect our footballers across the board in the GAA. Refs can only do so much. Not saying that coaches should let the main men for other teams have a free reign, but at least try to stop them by fair, hard defensive play rather than antagonise and physically/verbally abuse for 60-70 mins.

Championship is heating up and good to see we're playing football this year and even seeing some surprising results across the board.
You obviously didnt watch the game then. He didnt strike was trying to stop his mate on the floor from wrestling with LD man. Funny that he was seen and none of the LD players were.
Funny your "neutral" or umpire from the first game didn't see the headbutt and strike from LD forward in the lead up to it.

Stand corrected. But did two players not get a yellow card (one from each team) and one red card after that melee?

Yes, the neutral would have been at the other game that night, but it wasn't played and many went to watch the first Agh/Ld game. I'm not here to defend or castigate anyone, but have to ask why it's always the team you're defending getting sent off?

All teams should taken ownership of their discipline and call it as it is. Not try to blame players reputations or referees scared to put them off. We've all seen the McCanns/Murray/McGourtys sent off in big championship games before.

Checked who referee was from first game and is probably considered to be best in the county and his usual umpires would have a very indifferent/frosty relationship with LD I imagine as there was many bad rows between those teams over the years. Be strange for them to favour a PC/CM in that situation, probably just doing their job properly and calling it for what they seen as is their role. Protect players and alert the referee to any ill discipline .

What was he driving to get from aldergrove to Hannahstown to see the first minute red card?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

GiveItToTheShooters

Stand corrected. But did two players not get a yellow card (one from each team) and one red card after that melee?

Yes, the neutral would have been at the other game that night, but it wasn't played and many went to watch the first Agh/Ld game. I'm not here to defend or castigate anyone, but have to ask why it's always the team you're defending getting sent off?

All teams should taken ownership of their discipline and call it as it is. Not try to blame players reputations or referees scared to put them off. We've all seen the McCanns/Murray/McGourtys sent off in big championship games before.

Checked who referee was from first game and is probably considered to be best in the county and his usual umpires would have a very indifferent/frosty relationship with LD I imagine as there was many bad rows between those teams over the years. Be strange for them to favour a PC/CM in that situation, probably just doing their job properly and calling it for what they seen as is their role. Protect players and alert the referee to any ill discipline .
2 reds for Aghagallon and the ref didn't even see it. Came from the linesmen. Nothing for LD and ref and linesmen were aware of plenty off the ball stuff from them but nothing.

Didn't appear to be the case in that game anyway.

Do agree though that more officials should be there, that game was the first I saw with linesmen, yet they made no difference.

BealnaBlath

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 03, 2021, 02:43:38 PM

2 reds for Aghagallon and the ref didn't even see it. Came from the linesmen. Nothing for LD and ref and linesmen were aware of plenty off the ball stuff from them but nothing.

Didn't appear to be the case in that game anyway.

Do agree though that more officials should be there, that game was the first I saw with linesmen, yet they made no difference.

I thought it a yellow card to number 2 for Agh which was a second yellow and a yellow to LD player who I assume he was tangling with. Then a straight red for AL? Again happy to stand corrected.

Absolutely, the more the better. Unless issue with resources and too many games on the one night there should be linesmen/umpires for every championship game, as I do believe it's provides for a better spectacle. Using this game as an example, two teams with some outstanding forwards and if they're protected more then it makes for a better game/scores etc.

asaffgael

You are maybe new to watching football as well.. couple of things I disagree with - 1 - The linesman in that game where a disgrace, the amount of people they allowed on the pitch.

2 - Have you ever watched LD?? They love slowing the game down when they are winning and making it as stop start as possible. Your comment on that and favouring county players is a bit stupid

JimStynes

The red card from the first game was when Murray headbutted the full back and the Aghagallon full back stupidly retaliated. The full back who got sent off wouldn't be the fighting type either. LD are good at the dark arts and do it when the officials aren't watching. Conor Murray hit a fellow County teammate from aghagallon in full view of the bank of supporters in St. John's last year and not one official seen it either. Have to hand it to them, they're good at it.

BealnaBlath

I would say that LDs lack of know how towards end of games and dark arts have counted against them over the years, probably cost them an additional champ or two. They're a bit naive and too attacking at silly times.

It comes across sour grapes to me when you keep saying that the Agh boys were just unlucky or picked on. Every team has got a decision for or against if your team keeps getting done for striking then who os at fault for that?

Of top my head, Mick McCann has been sent off in a semi final, the two Murrays and Cunningham have been red carded or black carded in big games the last year or two. The Johnston's at Creggan also. Sort your own issue out with your own discipline and stop looking for the bogey man from other clubs or officials and your gripes might lessen. .