Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Theres different ways to look at this I think and maybe theres no right or wrong answer. I never once went looking for a club job but invitations and offers came and you decide at the time what your response would be. I did 5 years in Derry with various clubs and if i had wanted probably could still be doing " the circuit". But thats what it is, and ultimately you become a mercenary and either do it for the money or are percieved to be doing it for the money. In any event, i dont think anyone in the association has proper credit until they at the very least do a reasonable voluntary stint within your own club. Kevin may still do that sometime in the future, who knows, hes still young enough.

Teams I've managed have done well enough...lost a couple of county senior finals....but my biggest thrill was winning a reserve plate and then a reserve championship with Portglenone, a few of my sons and their mates all coming through together, and seeing them progress into the seniors gives you some feeling of acomplishment that would be hard to replicate with an outside club.

Spike

You are right on the account that you couldn't replicate winning something with another club other than your own.

Your mention of doing 'the circuit' is precisely why these mercenary coaches and managers are largely disparaged and rightly so IMO. Its not for the love of the game, its for the love of their lifestyles and an ego trip.

Unfortunately there appears no way to stop it

Milltown Row2

God there's some hateful cnuts on this board.

S/W men complaining about S/W managers doing well! Complaining about managers being paid and I can think of only a few who haven't paid, either currently or in the past, and the same ones cheering on their team while a 'mercenary' gets looked after.

Same posters looking the county board to spend big money on outside managers or inside managers to improve our team! Catch yourself on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

To be fair MR2, we've all seen your refereeing performances and no one on this board gets called called a hateful cnut more than you.  Kudos to a man who knows one when he sees one. Respect bro

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on September 24, 2019, 07:12:31 PM
To be fair MR2, we've all seen your refereeing performances and no one on this board gets called called a hateful cnut more than you.  Kudos to a man who knows one when he sees one. Respect bro

You're getting confused again, stick to the topic. If you keep tripping yourself up then step away. Lot of hate in you. You must be great craic
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

If i reach the levels of hate that you feel when you read who gets to referee the big matches you be sure to let me know.  Thanks for looking out for me. Peace xx

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on September 24, 2019, 07:20:13 PM
If i reach the levels of hate that you feel when you read who gets to referee the big matches you be sure to let me know.  Thanks for looking out for me. Peace xx

Again your bitterness is at another level. Very sad. I pity you and ones that have to stick your bile

Spike

From a man who resorts to personal comments on most his posts, ill take that as a compliment.   Thank you Preacher. Amen.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on September 24, 2019, 07:32:48 PM
From a man who resorts to personal comments on most his posts, ill take that as a compliment.   Thank you Preacher. Amen.

You've attacked me, I never brought you into but hey, carry on with whatever floats your boat. Who else can you verbally attack while being a gutless keyboard warrior ?

Spike

I hate to point out the obvious but you cant verbally attack someone while being a gutless keyboard warrior. 2 different mediums you see Milltown.  That is your name isnt it? Milltown. Unusual surname though - french?    Just pulling your leg big guy.

Anywho,   Any chance you could get back on trend with some Antrim football topics rather than fill these pages with commentary of  your concern for my wellbeing and diminishing mental health?

Refereeing performances of the 2 semi finals? Favourites to win championship? What went wrong with st galls? 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Spike on September 24, 2019, 08:14:57 PM
I hate to point out the obvious but you cant verbally attack someone while being a gutless keyboard warrior. 2 different mediums you see Milltown.  That is your name isnt it? Milltown. Unusual surname though - french?    Just pulling your leg big guy.

Anywho,   Any chance you could get back on trend with some Antrim football topics rather than fill these pages with commentary of  your concern for my wellbeing and diminishing mental health?

Refereeing performances of the 2 semi finals? Favourites to win championship? What went wrong with st galls?

As I said before unfair to discuss from my perspective on club championship games. I'll take up questions after the under 21 championship.

We can discuss then.

paddyjohn

Anytime I've spoken to KM he's been an absolute gent. Does anybody know the reason why he hasn't yet coached his own club? Maybe he doesn't feel he can be a prophet in his own land. Maybe he thinks he's given enough time to PG1 and wants to learn his trade elsewhere. Who knows. One thing I do know is that it's his choice what he does.

Good luck on Saturday MR2, but please keep up with play  ;)

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: bannside on September 24, 2019, 04:22:26 PM
Theres different ways to look at this I think and maybe theres no right or wrong answer. I never once went looking for a club job but invitations and offers came and you decide at the time what your response would be. I did 5 years in Derry with various clubs and if i had wanted probably could still be doing " the circuit". But thats what it is, and ultimately you become a mercenary and either do it for the money or are percieved to be doing it for the money. In any event, i dont think anyone in the association has proper credit until they at the very least do a reasonable voluntary stint within your own club. Kevin may still do that sometime in the future, who knows, hes still young enough.

Teams I've managed have done well enough...lost a couple of county senior finals....but my biggest thrill was winning a reserve plate and then a reserve championship with Portglenone, a few of my sons and their mates all coming through together, and seeing them progress into the seniors gives you some feeling of acomplishment that would be hard to replicate with an outside club.

couldnt agree more BS.

Ive seen Feile winning teams with the club and the lads got all the way to the All Ireland Final that year. I now see these kids pulling on the senior shirt in this weekends County Final and i couldnt be more happy for them all. youve seen them progress from a child to a man and representing the club at the top level.

I seen our Junior Camogiers win a shield. its the competition no one wants to be in or win but these girls won it 6 years ago and celebrated it like a championship. why? because they had never won anything in their career up to that point.

its that sort of pride you dont get without being paid for it. its seeing progression in the youth to senior level.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Picking up on an earlier point I'd say St Galls need to let a few older lads retire with their massive haul of medals and do a bit of rebuilding

Calm Down

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2019, 08:42:52 PM
Quote from: Spike on September 24, 2019, 08:14:57 PM

As I said before unfair to discuss from my perspective on club championship games. I'll take up questions after the under 21 championship.

We can discuss then.

Milltown why would you be getting involved at all on any discussion, everyone knows who you are and surely you are not making your job in the middle of the field any easier?? Very naive of you to start picking fights on here when you and your colleagues are easy picking for criticism, seems like an ego trip to me, maybe it is true that some refs only ref to hog the spotlight................just a thought