Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffronog67

There is definitely a correlation between the teams in the South West having success and those teams being close to St Mary's M/Felt, and St Louis Ballymena. Playing school football at a high level cannot be underestimated. St Mary's and St Malachy's seem to be making head way, has there been Ulster Coaches put in to these schools recently or is that hearsay? 

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 08, 2017, 08:26:27 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2017, 03:15:02 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2017, 03:12:40 PM
the indoor academy does help us yes but as others have said its having the kids there along with good coaches that makes it work. without the latter its just a big empty building that can be hired out for indoor football.

Soccer football, are you serious? 

:'(

Its a valued revenue during the close season in GAA that helps to pay back the money it took to build it. That and being hired out the local archery club in Ballymoney, model plane flying club and birthday parties.

All money in our coffers to pay off the debet

I'm only on the wind.

We do the same ourselves with our ballwall and perimeter track.

paddyjohn

We could talk about it all day. Key is getting schools both primary and secondary to allow coaches in and promote GAA instead of other sports, also parents have to play a huge role.

Its easy for me to comment on it as I grew up with GAA only and a family that were all involved in some capacity within the club, it was second nature. Our Sundays were spent in the car going around watching different games, I'm not saying I had a special upbringing but it was second nature to me and that is why I've continued to be a part of it.

Hectic

That's why I was touching on facilities though.  Everything that can help attract and all that - and that maybe especially applies to parents.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: johnneycool on September 08, 2017, 11:56:31 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 08, 2017, 08:26:27 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 07, 2017, 03:15:02 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2017, 03:12:40 PM
the indoor academy does help us yes but as others have said its having the kids there along with good coaches that makes it work. without the latter its just a big empty building that can be hired out for indoor football.

Soccer football, are you serious? 

:'(

Its a valued revenue during the close season in GAA that helps to pay back the money it took to build it. That and being hired out the local archery club in Ballymoney, model plane flying club and birthday parties.

All money in our coffers to pay off the debet

I'm only on the wind.

We do the same ourselves with our ballwall and perimeter track.

;D to be fair if it wasnt for that then we would need more fund raisers to pay back the debt for it. All money is good money lol
hurl like f**k boi!

JimStynes

Sad to see Paul Doc has left Antrim GAA. He was doing great work around the schools and development squads. Big loss!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on September 08, 2017, 10:07:25 PM
Sad to see Paul Doc has left Antrim GAA. He was doing great work around the schools and development squads. Big loss!

Well according to some here they'd say the staff do feck all!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Paul did massive work, a gentleman also. Sad to see him go, did his work in a quiet way, not like some of those who represent the county in other ways.

Milltown Row2

I'm not going to shift through posts but there are a few who question the work these lads do... now when one moves on to work somewhere else they get praise... you're a strange bunch
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2017, 11:24:43 PM

Well according to some here they'd say the staff do feck all!

A handful of coaches to cover all the primary schools in Antrim! Don't know about the others but I know Paul Doc was earning his money. With the Primary School KS1 coaching fund being cut and losing good coaches like Paul, it is going to have a major impact on underage development.

Galer

Mr2 excuses,excuses,excuses.city teams have had the best of it for years,now city teams have to work abit and all you can do is cry about it.country teams would love to go to there primary school and pick from 100+ in there parish.most clubs fight for there players to get them through

Belfast GAA man

Here's a thought on coaches that goes against the grain - we need to spend more money on full time fixtures organisers and planners and if that has to be at the expense of paid coaches so be it. Players want to play matches over training and if Antrim GAA can not provide kids with 40 odd matches a year they will get bored of training and go to other sports........

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Galer on September 10, 2017, 11:12:01 AM
Mr2 excuses,excuses,excuses.city teams have had the best of it for years,now city teams have to work abit and all you can do is cry about it.country teams would love to go to there primary school and pick from 100+ in there parish.most clubs fight for there players to get them through

At no point did I cry, I'm very happy with the history of GAA in Belfast considering the years of the troubles.. St. John's played an all Ireland final we played in two won one, football at school level in Belfast has always been there as for the hurling they've done alright at school level also... all I've said is this ... it comes in cycles, Belfast doesn't own the right to win every year...

No parish type clubs in Belfast and again I must say Belfast is divided and we've 20 clubs all dual! Do the maths

JimStynes

More can be done MR2. Primary schools in the country might have anywhere between 5-15 P7 boys. You can guarantee most of those will play GAA. Go into the city schools (and there are many) and some P7 groups might have anywhere from 50-80 boys but only 1/4 of that will play GAA if you're lucky. How many Antrim coaches are going into those schools? How many clubs are sending coaches into those schools?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on September 10, 2017, 09:47:26 PM
More can be done MR2. Primary schools in the country might have anywhere between 5-15 P7 boys. You can guarantee most of those will play GAA. Go into the city schools (and there are many) and some P7 groups might have anywhere from 50-80 boys but only 1/4 of that will play GAA if you're lucky. How many Antrim coaches are going into those schools? How many clubs are sending coaches into those schools?

Because these kids are playing other sports, the soccer has a massive interest in Belfast, more than my day and parents are keen to see their wee Johnny playing in the Premiership or for Celtic! Would never had two local soccer teams of any notice when I grew up, plenty now, all playing regular games every week, never called off and good cup competitions... that's not just happening in Belfast, it's all over, blame Sky! We've plenty at the  club but keeping them and developing them  is the hardest task! But please lads don't think the GAA has stopped in Belfast or Antrim it's just going through a phase..