Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: Kickham csc on March 03, 2017, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 02, 2017, 08:43:01 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 02, 2017, 07:23:10 PM
Quote from: Points a Good Score on March 02, 2017, 01:06:10 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2017, 09:55:38 PM
A hell of a lot of creggan guys on that team (well squad) from magherafelt who made it to macrory tonight which is good to see.

Quinn and small looked like big talents from what i saw last year.

Are they minor again?

Three from Moneyglass as well, two starters and one on the bench. Hopefully bodes well for Antrim football in the long run.

Liam Quinn still minor but Small is overage

Cheers. It is good to see although i so,etimes think it is worrying that most of the best of our south west talent gets coached schools football in derry!

Agree it's worrying but at least they are getting coached somewhere and bringing it back here.

Not worrying at all.

We (Antrim) need to focus on coaching in the clubs. We also need to focus on certain schools. For example St Louis and St Mary's De La Sal, etc, because these schools serve Antrim clubs in their areas.

But due to our geography, we can take advance of Magherafelt, St Pius, Maghera, Lurgan, Coleraine and in some cases Colmans to serve Clubs from other areas

In theory, Antrim should be in a great position for youth coaching

So focus on a select few grammar schools and forget the rest?

Hectic

What are the other schools outside Belfast?  Garron Tower springs to mind but is it not a hurling catchment?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 03, 2017, 12:42:50 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on March 03, 2017, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 02, 2017, 08:43:01 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 02, 2017, 07:23:10 PM
Quote from: Points a Good Score on March 02, 2017, 01:06:10 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2017, 09:55:38 PM
A hell of a lot of creggan guys on that team (well squad) from magherafelt who made it to macrory tonight which is good to see.

Quinn and small looked like big talents from what i saw last year.

Are they minor again?

Three from Moneyglass as well, two starters and one on the bench. Hopefully bodes well for Antrim football in the long run.

Liam Quinn still minor but Small is overage

Cheers. It is good to see although i so,etimes think it is worrying that most of the best of our south west talent gets coached schools football in derry!

Agree it's worrying but at least they are getting coached somewhere and bringing it back here.

Not worrying at all.

We (Antrim) need to focus on coaching in the clubs. We also need to focus on certain schools. For example St Louis and St Mary's De La Sal, etc, because these schools serve Antrim clubs in their areas.

But due to our geography, we can take advance of Magherafelt, St Pius, Maghera, Lurgan, Coleraine and in some cases Colmans to serve Clubs from other areas

In theory, Antrim should be in a great position for youth coaching

So focus on a select few grammar schools and forget the rest?

If the secondary schools in Belfast joined together to form a team then you may have something (not at MacRory cup level), but I'd say most secondary schools dont have the numbers or the tradition to compete with the rest.

schools in my day you had 300 pupils in seconardy schools, of which everyone left at 5th year, if they had a brain they went on to St Mary's... not much has change and some schools cater for lower and upper 6th but to be honest they wouldnt have the numbers to compete with anyone... And of course you have the soccer element to deal with
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

In South Derry this year, St Mary's Magherafelt, St Pius X Magherafelt and St Mary's Clady all reached the latter stages of the three college football competitions.
St Mary's Magherafelt, did make the Mc Crory final as did the school from Clady reaching  in the Doherty Cup final......with St Pius X losing by a couple of points in the Mc Larnon semi.

Antrim schools...... :'(

BrendanAntrim

Clady beat Aquinas Grammar in the Doherty semi final, after a replay.

SambaSaffron

St Louis also lost in the McLarnon semi. As previously stated, St Mary's had 7 Antrim men playing on Wednesday. St Pius's also had at least one involved for them.
It's more encouraging than in previous years.

country bumpkin

Two from Cargin on Pius X team....Joe Maybin and J Gribbin and expect to see both as county minors and on our senior panel this year.

JimStynes

I find the college football is where a lot of boys kick on from being good to very good or excellent footballers.  It is a great advantage for a club to be situated close to a footballing school. Playing and training at such a high level can't be replicated within club level from u14-minor.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on March 03, 2017, 05:54:36 PM
I find the college football is where a lot of boys kick on from being good to very good or excellent footballers.  It is a great advantage for a club to be situated close to a footballing school. Playing and training at such a high level can't be replicated within club level from u14-minor.

Hmm or not, we'd no Macrory cup winners and did ok, kids play football up to a point and may move to a college and do nothing!! We lost loads of cracking players over the years who went on and did something else...

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Mr i always thought your club benefited a lot from university football though. Large number of ai team played sigerson for one college or another.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2017, 09:08:48 PM
Mr i always thought your club benefited a lot from university football though. Large number of ai team played sigerson for one college or another.

We talking macrory or college?

imtommygunn

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2017, 09:55:24 PM
University football.

Ah, as the posts were about school football, but yeah we'd a few lads at college that done well, including one winning it...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 03, 2017, 10:56:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2017, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2017, 09:55:24 PM
University football.

Ah, as the posts were about school football, but yeah we'd a few lads at college that done well, including one winning it...
To be fair, you'd a few lads who did well with their schools too.

They never competed at the top table of MacRory cup level, but sure you'd know that

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 03, 2017, 11:39:09 PM
A scatter of All Stars though.

Quality, and explain how they are given out? What's the process