Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on September 04, 2016, 10:48:01 AM
Finally Junior and I strongly fancy Glenravel if they keep their focus. Was at their game with Ardoyne on Thursday and they opened up looking like they were going to blow the opposition away only to go to sleep and found themselves 4 behind early in the second half. They then seemed to give themselves a shake and turned that into a 5 point win with a strong showing in the last 25 mins. Where Antrim will have optimism is that Glenravel have lost a couple of finals recently when fancied but if they show up for the full 60 mins Antrim will not live with them.

Sure you had Ardoyne tipped to beat Glenravel...

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on September 04, 2016, 03:33:22 AM
Well...we did turn up and gave it a bit of a lash, and had the temerity to go level with ten minutes left.

Credit to St Galls who kicked on using everyour inch of their experience to close out a result.

Down round our way we can deal with that.  We would expect to be winning these kind of matches in the next year or two and that should leave us there or thereabouts. All part of a learning curve for us. We will put this one down to experience but  it won't be long until we are at the right end of these contests.
learn to live with championship reversals Bannside.......jeez cargin people are the masters in such......
Was at the Intermediate semis yesterday and was really impressed with Aghagallon....they look more than capable of moving onward and upwards but will reserve judgement when I see how they cope with Dunloy in the Intermediate final.

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 04, 2016, 03:07:05 PM
Finally Junior and I strongly fancy Glenravel if they keep their focus. Was at their game with Ardoyne on Thursday and they opened up looking like they were going to blow the opposition away only to go to sleep and found themselves 4 behind early in the second half. They then seemed to give themselves a shake and turned that into a 5 point win with a strong showing in the last 25 mins. Where Antrim will have optimism is that Glenravel have lost a couple of finals recently when fancied but if they show up for the full 60 mins Antrim will not live with them.

That is true but having watched the game and on the basis Ardoyne were blowing everyone out of the water in Div 3 I do not think it is too much of a reach to say Glenravel now favourites. But Glenravel seem to have a problem in finals recently so Antrim cannot be discounted. I was at a double header final in Casement a few years ago when Glenravel were supposed to just show up yet the did not show at all and Ardoyne strolled home. But sure as you point out what do I know!

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on September 04, 2016, 07:26:22 PM

That is true but having watched the game and on the basis Ardoyne were blowing everyone out of the water in Div 3 I do not think it is too much of a reach to say Glenravel now favourites. But Glenravel seem to have a problem in finals recently so Antrim cannot be discounted. I was at a double header final in Casement a few years ago when Glenravel were supposed to just show up yet the did not show at all and Ardoyne strolled home. But sure as you point out what do I know!

I was also at the that Double Header and a 1pt victory is hardly strolling home.. Considering Ardoyne only scored 1pt in the second half also.

Our lads will have it tight against Dunloy in the IFC.

Hectic

If memory serves me correct Ardoyne had the game won at half time and eased up and let the clock run down then had a bit of a sweat the last few minutes. If memory serves me correct Aghagallon played out an entertaining draw with Sarsfields after in the Intermediate final after.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on September 04, 2016, 10:19:02 PM
If memory serves me correct Ardoyne had the game won at half time and eased up and let the clock run down then had a bit of a sweat the last few minutes. If memory serves me correct Aghagallon played out an entertaining draw with Sarsfields after in the Intermediate final after.

Your full of sh1t. They got 1 lucky goal in the first half and Glenravel peppered them in the second half and hit both posts and kicked wide after wide!

You must really dislike Glenravel for some reason.

Was a great game that evening for both teams and a neutral.

Hectic

On the contrary I find Glenravel one of the best grounds to visit, facilities are top class and the locals are always friendly.

Look I only call it as I see it but that's just my opinions and everyone iis entitled to a different opinion. Is that not the idea in debate?

theskull1

Quote from: Mickey Linden on September 04, 2016, 08:57:47 AM
If Dunloy were to concentrate on football do you's think they could challenge for senior honours?
Dya reckon we (or indeed any dual club) should give that question some consideration?  ::)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hectic

I do not know how high Dunloy could go concentrating on football only.  It is a completely hypothetical question anyway as generally hurling seems to be the first love in those parts.  What I would say though is that they show year after year in the Championship that they are a better team than their league standing suggests.

Hectic

On that subject, PaddyJohn what is the feeling in Aghagallon regarding the intermediate Championship final - after an excellent season there must be a fair bit of confidence going into the final especially now that Aldergrove are out of the way though the fact you are playing the team that sunk them I imagine you would not be taking it lightly (as no final should be taken anyway).  That evening we have been reminiscing about youse were strong favourites to beat Sarsfields who were a division 3 team at the time though were probably happy enough to take a replay in the end?

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on September 05, 2016, 08:47:04 AM
On that subject, PaddyJohn what is the feeling in Aghagallon regarding the intermediate Championship final - after an excellent season there must be a fair bit of confidence going into the final especially now that Aldergrove are out of the way though the fact you are playing the team that sunk them I imagine you would not be taking it lightly (as no final should be taken anyway).  That evening we have been reminiscing about youse were strong favourites to beat Sarsfields who were a division 3 team at the time though were probably happy enough to take a replay in the end?

Your right, no final should be taken lightly, the lads have prepared well and they'll give it a lash.

Hectic

Are the intermediate and junior finals a double header again this year and if so has the date been released yet?

paddyjohn

Christmas Lights

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 04, 2016, 08:50:38 PM
Quote from: Hectic on September 04, 2016, 07:26:22 PM

I was also at the that Double Header and a 1pt victory is hardly strolling home.. Considering Ardoyne only scored 1pt in the second half also.

Our lads will have it tight against Dunloy in the IFC.

We played Dunloy in the winter league up there about 6 years ago.  They where one of the worst teams I had ever played against.  They have obviously come a long way since then.