Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: FermGael on April 25, 2016, 08:45:45 PM
Quote from: Gold on April 25, 2016, 08:36:27 PM
Right a couple of years ago we were well ahead in championship. ..I believe showing we are better and have more talented players

We then sat back and showed our lack of killer instinct and nearly blew it...if we can get over that freezing mentality I believe we are better...granted it's a big if

Last year we didn't have the team of 2014 or this year....it was a C team and doesn't count. We had no Niblock, Neeson or Tomas or Mick McCann...you're talking our top 4 forwards. If fermanagh didn't have quigley or the corrigans they would be toothless too

Fermanagh have done it v Galway etc though and we haven't. ..I'll maybe be proved wrong but we'll see

Well ahead. Really?
I may be wrong but did Antrim not need a goal line clearance by O'Boyle from McCluskey with the last kick of the game to deny Fermanagh the win.
We were caught cold that day but by the end it was Antrim that froze and were hanging on.

Exactly,  read my 2nd paragraph. ...we have a history of freezing when ahead and having a lack of killer instinct. ..no more so than that day... or on Saturday past come to think of it

I just think we have more talented footballers in our county than yours.(a greater number than you do I mean)..we have greater numbers and therefore that should be expected.  You are probably  a better 'team' but if we play as a team and throw the shackles off for 70 minutes I believe we would beat you 9 times out of 10 (provided we didn't have last year's team out)
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

FermGael

9 times out of 10....
You are obviously on the wind or deluded.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

bannside

We are a much better team this year...but so too are Fermanagh. In fact they are a great wee team, well drilled and organised who would put it up to almost anyone except the Dubs obviously. Full credit to them for turning themselves around inside a few years.

It shows that you don't need fantastic minor and under twenty one teams. If you can harness 25 players who will sacrifice everything, including themselves if they are subs, for the good of their county, that tremendous improvement can be made.

It's taken Pete three years to deliver this and they are a bit further down the road than us. Not to say we can't beat them on any given day if we do everything right.

bannside

Well said Hardstation. Our minors beating Derry is a great achievement. Well done to all involved. Carl Mc Cabe is coaching this team and the players speak highly of him. Good set up apparently = good results.

country bumpkin

Organisation and committment is the key Bannside.......Fermanagh underlines such as the vital ingredients.....would Cargin, Gall's, L Dearg or any of the top club sides in Antrim fear any club team in Fermanagh?

bannside

Definitely not CB, but we have no right to assume our best clubs are up there with the best in Ireland right now either. St Galls flew our flag admirably for years, winning three Ulsters....but no one else has gotten close to doing that. And the last of these was five or six years ago.

Cargin went close against Crossmaglen, and had you taken your chances you might have got over the line. But that wasnt a vintage Cross team by any stretch of the imagination.

In fact I dont think Ulster has a superpower team in it right now, so the Antrim winners this year have as good a chance as any.

bannside

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of Gerry Barry on his recent passing. Gerry was a great Gael who was Antrim to the core and served as county secretary for many years in the days when it was unpaid and voluntary. A true gentleman who was highly respected by all.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on May 02, 2016, 06:55:09 PM
Sincere condolences to the family and friends of Gerry Barry on his recent passing. Gerry was a great Gael who was Antrim to the core and served as county secretary for many years in the days when it was unpaid and voluntary. A true gentleman who was highly respected by all.

Lovely guy who I'll miss.... Gerry always had time for Gaels... Had many a discussion/debates/chats with Gerry in the club over a few Guinness... RIP
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Gerry Barry really was a true Gael......a gentleman and indeed a scholar.......R I P

BrendanAntrim

What about Sunday? I'm looking forward to heading down as I think we have a great chance in both games, minor and senior. Nothing to fear in going to Enniskillen and our senior team is in better shape than 12 months ago.

bannside

Really looking forward to it too Brendan. We have a strong team out, with a few fifty fifty calls with quality players on the bench who can expect plenty of action. Mick Mc Cann, Niblock and Bam Neeson were on fire two years ago at the same venue, and we will need these three to step up once again.

Good drying weather so the pitch will be quick and that usually suits us. Im optimistic that we can pull off a result...but we need 20 big performances from the first whistle we need to go at them. We have two ways of playing (unfortunately) but when we click we are good to watch and hard enough to beat. Fermanagh will be favourites but thats ok, all the pressure is on them and that suits us big time too.

Minors should get the day off to a good start for us. A decent set up this year and a good bunch of lads from what I hear.

theskull1

Good win for the minors
Antrim: 4-10
Fermanagh: 2-9
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AQMP

Worse than last year from the seniors and it was awful :(

FermGael

Quote from: Gold on April 25, 2016, 09:09:42 PM
Quote from: FermGael on April 25, 2016, 08:45:45 PM
Quote from: Gold on April 25, 2016, 08:36:27 PM
Right a couple of years ago we were well ahead in championship. ..I believe showing we are better and have more talented players

We then sat back and showed our lack of killer instinct and nearly blew it...if we can get over that freezing mentality I believe we are better...granted it's a big if

Last year we didn't have the team of 2014 or this year....it was a C team and doesn't count. We had no Niblock, Neeson or Tomas or Mick McCann...you're talking our top 4 forwards. If fermanagh didn't have quigley or the corrigans they would be toothless too

Fermanagh have done it v Galway etc though and we haven't. ..I'll maybe be proved wrong but we'll see

Well ahead. Really?
I may be wrong but did Antrim not need a goal line clearance by O'Boyle from McCluskey with the last kick of the game to deny Fermanagh the win.
We were caught cold that day but by the end it was Antrim that froze and were hanging on.

Exactly,  read my 2nd paragraph. ...we have a history of freezing when ahead and having a lack of killer instinct. ..no more so than that day... or on Saturday past come to think of it

I just think we have more talented footballers in our county than yours.(a greater number than you do I mean)..we have greater numbers and therefore that should be expected.  You are probably  a better 'team' but if we play as a team and throw the shackles off for 70 minutes I believe we would beat you 9 times out of 10 (provided we didn't have last year's team out)

That's 3 out of 4 now.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Gold

We were shire.  No score in first 20 mins reminded me of Fermanagh  v Kildare (I think it was Kildare anyway ) a few years ago

We were awful. ..no excuse for that on a perfect day like today

Fermanagh much better
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."