Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I see london are preparing for the physical challenge we will give them lol. First time in my life under these new management we've been described as physical.

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2016, 07:45:44 AM
I see london are preparing for the physical challenge we will give them lol. First time in my life under these new management we've been described as physical.

We need to be.. and cynical too

Take fermanagh against Armagh the other night....Fermanagh equalised 10 seconds before 3 minutes of injury time was over. ...Armagh keeper immediately hit the kick out short to an Armagh defender ...a Fermanagh player had a chance to stop the armagh player, to take him down or whatever but opted to try and make a fair tackle...the armagh player breezed past him and after a few passes the ball was over the bar and Armagh won. .....my point being I was thinking Antrim would probably do the same thing as that Fermanagh player (far too nice/naive ). Had it been the other end of the field an Armagh man would've dragged the man down (or fouled him).

We need to be more physical and cynical
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 02, 2016, 09:51:06 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 01, 2016, 04:30:44 PM
our manager is the same as last year, Dominic Dillon. He doesnt get paid, like all the managers in our club.

Bradley hardly coaching for the sake of it?

hes an outside coach, players fund raise to cover it themselves. Club doesnt pay a penny. Same policy for all outside coaching in the club. we will never pay anyone to mange any team at our club at any grade or code.
hurl like f**k boi!

Gizzy15

Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 03, 2016, 09:42:28 AM
our manager is the same as last year, Dominic Dillon. He doesnt get paid, like all the managers in our club.

hes an outside coach, players fund raise to cover it themselves. Club doesnt pay a penny. Same policy for all outside coaching in the club. we will never pay anyone to mange any team at our club at any grade or code.

Firstly im not saying its the wrong thing to do, but is it not the same thing as paying the manager/coach, where the funds come from is irrelevant, most clubs would say they don't pay as they run a draw, members subscription, outside funder/donor or whatever way they want to raise the funds. just because its not a direct payment from club account its still a payment. I have no problem with it happening as I feel every club is entitled to run as they see fit but I just think your first quote was one on a moral high ground then followed with a "yes, but" answer.

theskull1

I'm led to believe he is (bar minimal expenses provided to him rather than being 'sought'). Friends with the Manager, not 100% commitment expected but enjoys playing a part. Comes across as a really good fella.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

paddyjohn

Quote from: theskull1 on March 03, 2016, 11:31:52 AM

I'm led to believe he is (bar minimal expenses provided to him rather than being 'sought'). Friends with the Manager, not 100% commitment expected but enjoys playing a part. Comes across as a really good fella.

I've met him a few times, he is a gent. Really genuine chap.

SaffronHeart

Dunloy must be commended for getting their act together. I think they'll stay up this year also.

Na Glinntí Glasa

they have d
Quote from: Gizzy15 on March 03, 2016, 10:26:45 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on March 03, 2016, 09:42:28 AM

Firstly im not saying its the wrong thing to do, but is it not the same thing as paying the manager/coach, where the funds come from is irrelevant, most clubs would say they don't pay as they run a draw, members subscription, outside funder/donor or whatever way they want to raise the funds. just because its not a direct payment from club account its still a payment. I have no problem with it happening as I feel every club is entitled to run as they see fit but I just think your first quote was one on a moral high ground then followed with a "yes, but" answer.

Its not the moral high ground anything, we wont ever, nor ever will pay anyone to manage our club. simple as. If a manager brings an outside element in to help them with the coaching and sorts the payment out thats an entirely different entity. Its up to them to sort that out, manage and organise the funding. the club will not help out only other than to say hold the money for safe keeping etc. I personally think its grand to do that, i would however object to anyone getting money for managing a team. It would be sad day when that happened to us.

No one gets paid in the club, not even the bar staff who work the social club at night and im one of them clowns! lol
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

Quote from: SaffronHeart on March 03, 2016, 11:57:20 AM
Dunloy must be commended for getting their act together. I think they'll stay up this year also.

Depending on availability of the hurlers I think they might. Good to see a club taking a chance on a young hometown manager and not some outsider.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: SaffronHeart on March 03, 2016, 11:57:20 AM

I have to agree, Dominic came in a has the respect of the players from day one. He took an interest in the minor and u16 straight away and watches them non stop. Hes done a brilliant job since taking over and asking his friend Paddy along to help out when he could was a great move.

Lets be honest football was dying a slow death in dunloy and hes gave a kick up the arse that it needed. Were back in div1 in u16 & minor this year again which is another indication of the progress thats been made. We have one lad on the county minor panel in Conor Ferris which is the first in a long while for the club.

hurl like f**k boi!

bogieman

Quote from: Gold on March 03, 2016, 07:59:51 AM

Take fermanagh against Armagh the other night....Fermanagh equalised 10 seconds before 3 minutes of injury time was over. ...Armagh keeper immediately hit the kick out short to an Armagh defender ...a Fermanagh player had a chance to stop the armagh player, to take him down or whatever but opted to try and make a fair tackle...the armagh player breezed past him and after a few passes the ball was over the bar and Armagh won. .....my point being I was thinking Antrim would probably do the same thing as that Fermanagh player (far too nice/naive ). Had it been the other end of the field an Armagh man would've dragged the man down (or fouled him).

yeah, this is some attitude to promote within our amateur sporting culture, especially with developing children and young impressionable players, and I'm not talking about being physical, I'm talking about you promoting cheating, plain and simple.

speaks volumes, some gold values here, more like pyrite  ;)
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogieman on March 05, 2016, 08:50:04 AM

yeah, this is some attitude to promote within our amateur sporting culture, especially with developing children and young impressionable players, and I'm not talking about being physical, I'm talking about you promoting cheating, plain and simple.

You ever foul on a match?? Did you think you cheated??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bogieman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2016, 12:54:29 PM

You appear to be actually condoning the 'promotion' of cheating  :-\
Look in the mirror and listen for the crack of doom...
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bogieman on March 05, 2016, 03:44:03 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2016, 12:54:29 PM

You appear to be actually condoning the 'promotion' of cheating  :-\
Look in the mirror and listen for the crack of doom...

It's a simple enough question... Its either yes or no
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Don't think that answer is forthcoming MR! Anyways, another 2 points in our charge to get out of the basement. Didn't make it over but will get the lowdown on it shortly.

A long day for players up since 5am to get ready and off to the airport. Not ideal for optimum performance but job done and congrats to all involved. Chris the only keeper in the league not to concede a goal.