Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Went up the road yesterday to take a look at the champions elect (possibly self proclaimed), as Lamh Dearg beat Portglenone and was not at all impressed.
The men from up the hill seem utterly reliant on the place ball skills of Cunningham and I think they only managed a couple from play.
They did seem on the way when they led by seven shortly into the second half (Portglenone had kicked a lot of wides in the first half), but it was all downhill thereafter.
They were just hanging in there for the last 15 minutes and indeed looked to the favours of the ref in that time......the Paddies whistler (city refs for all of the city v country senior games) was most lenient when he allowed Conor Murray to escape without a card for an indiscretion on the Ports number 5(grab around the neck and swung to the ground), and he ignored what looked a cast iron penalty when Niall Mc Keever was dumped and sat upon inside the square with l dearg under extreme pressure at the time and just four ahead.
Mc Keever was to see red a few minutes later (harsh in the extreme) to aid l d home.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 06, 2015, 10:02:31 AM
Went up the road yesterday to take a look at the champions elect (possibly self proclaimed), as Lamh Dearg beat Portglenone and was not at all impressed.
The men from up the hill seem utterly reliant on the place ball skills of Cunningham and I think they only managed a couple from play.
They did seem on the way when they led by seven shortly into the second half (Portglenone had kicked a lot of wides in the first half), but it was all downhill thereafter.
They were just hanging in there for the last 25 minutes and indeed looked to the favours of the ref in that time......the Paddies whistler (city refs for all of the city v country senior games). Conor Murray did escape without a card for an indiscretion on the Ports number 5 and he ignored what looked a cast iron penalty when Niall Mc Keever was dumped and sat upon with l dearg under extreme pressure and just four ahead.
Mc Keever was to red a few minutes later (harsh in the extreme) to aid l d home.

Brendan is a Belfast referee no??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Mr Toland is indeed based in South Antrim MR2....................and?

country bumpkin

Jeez I know Cargin were good, but did such really provoke this lengthy period of stunned silence?

otbar

Creggan v Cargin 7:30 friday 2nd September

How will they line up

should be a close contest

Milltown Row2

Quote from: otbar on September 16, 2015, 02:01:25 PM
Creggan v Cargin 7:30 friday 2nd September

How will they line up

should be a close contest

I don't think so, teams have clubs that they sometimes get the better off (like Cargin against us) on the rare occasion and Creggan can be like that against their neighbours.. Can't see it... be defensive for a bit but Cargin should open them up... 2nd October though  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

otbar

Creggan have got a lot of good players so would not underestimate them and a very nibble forward line so im not sure they will go overly defensive.
They have not done this in the league nor in the champ against ahoghill.

Cargin strong but slow in the full forward line - two cumbersome men inside which i think we can cut out.  There half forward line is one that concerns creggan.
Michael mccann and tomas are the winning of the game IMO.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: otbar on September 16, 2015, 03:27:46 PM
Creggan have got a lot of good players so would not underestimate them and a very nibble forward line so im not sure they will go overly defensive.
They have not done this in the league nor in the champ against ahoghill.

Cargin strong but slow in the full forward line - two cumbersome men inside which i think we can cut out.  There half forward line is one that concerns creggan.
Michael mccann and tomas are the winning of the game IMO.

Anytime I seen Creggan play against Cargin or ourselves they play a defensive game with plenty behind the ball... Should they open up they might have a chance, will Michael McCann play in the half forward line again? thought it really worked well against us and was the winning of the game

otbar

Yes he was the catalyst - surprised anto healy stayed on him as long as he did - taking nothing away from him.
Will be a few interesting match ups. 

If cargin get ahead it would be like st galls - very hard to claw back hence need to open up like you say and go for it.
Lets hope it lives up to the first half of the st galls cargin 1/4

country bumpkin

Cargin have a slow inside forward line Otbar................well has JB confirmed team selection to urself...............no slow coach Ciaran Close  or even Gerard O' Boyle, Oran Mc Auley or even Tomas Mc Cann involved in that line?

bannside

30 of us heading off Friday night to Dublin for the weekend. Taking part in the sevens on Saturday and all booked into same accommodation.  Should be some crack!! Oldest swinger in town going too.....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on September 17, 2015, 09:43:59 PM
30 of us heading off Friday night to Dublin for the weekend. Taking part in the sevens on Saturday and all booked into same accommodation.  Should be some crack!! Oldest swinger in town going too.....

Enjoy, some of my best memories are at seven's tournaments!!

otbar

G o boyle no longer plays and the other two fellas are on the bench - if any close would get the nod.  t mccann is half forward country B.
Are you saying them 3 boys should be inside forward line?

What changes do you think he will make - i cant see him making any TBH.

country bumpkin

Well you can certainly fully expect JB to come up with the unexpected, and team selection is away out of my remit I'm afraid.............

SaffronHeart

Any word on the venues and dates for the IFC amd JFC semi finals? County have been very slow on this