Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Yes I have always admired John Rafferty around a team. So much so I invited him to speak to a team I was managing before they played the Derry county final. And he was awesome.

Lenny might have been in the right place at the right time, but can't be faulted for getting the job done. In doing so he has created a reputation that will stick for a long time.

Having said that there is also the theory that the real driving force in St Galls is a core group of players, led by Sean Kelly, who are the real reason for so much success, and managers there are merely facilitators!

And to balance that point I also know that the current manager is maybe the best thought of all the managers St Galls have had in recent years.

ck

That's very interesting. Wasn't aware of the influence of John rafferty at all.
Wasnt James McCartan manager at one stage too? Would he have contributed to the side before Lenny put icing on cake?

imtommygunn

Good win for st johns over omagh in the u21 ulster tournament. Mcbride mom- sounds like a decent prospect.

Ck i think mccartan was post ai.

bannside

Good win for the Johnnies.

James Mc Cartan is quoted as saying that he couldn't manage St Galls. They practically managed themselves!

SaffronHeart

Would be very surprised if st johns don't win a Senior football championship within the next 5 years

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SaffronHeart on January 24, 2015, 10:18:10 PM
Would be very surprised if st johns don't win a Senior football championship within the next 5 years

Are you serious??  They struggle with relegation ffs!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manballandall

For me Rafferty was the best manager we have had in recent years and would be welcomed back with open arms any time.
Some good managers over the past decade who added certain elements to the team which when all added together resulted in the ultimate . I include Paul Duffin , mc cartan, and Lenny in that but for me it was Rafferty who installed the belief, intensity and mental toughness to gel it all together .
Have to agree, especially in recent years a group of players have had an influence on proceedings. Good thing or not? Is this because they were/are allowed to ?. I know this certainly wasn't the case with Raff and I think mc cartan got a bit of a raw deal.

In recent years we have got past round one of ulster once and I believe this could have been avoided very easily .
All in all, despite achieving the ultimate I believe this group of players will look back and wonder what if in years to come. No complaints for what they have achieved and the effort they put in from all at the club.

jdyok

With you on that one MR2, let's keep this a Johnnies free zone :P

Catch and Kick

Panel for the NFL:
1. Justin Crozier CARGIN 2. Michael Mc Cann CARGIN 
3. Tony Scullion 
CARGIN 
4. James Laverty 
CARGIN 
5. Tomas Mc Cann 
CARGIN 
6. Martin Kane 
CARGIN 
7. John Carron
CARGIN 
8. Chris Kerr
ST GALLS 
9. CJ Mc Gourty 
ST GALLS 
10. Connor Burke 
ST GALLS 
11. Micheal Pollock 
ST GALLS 
12. Niall O'Neill 
ST GALLS 
13. Ruairi Wilson 
ST GALLS 
14. Conor Murray 
LAMH DHEARG 
15. Declan Lynch 
LAMH DHEARG 
16. Gerard Walls 
LAMH DHEARG 
17. Ryan Murray 
LAMH DHEARG 
18. Niall McKeever
PORTGLENONE 
19. Niall Delargy 
PORTGLENONE 
20. Dermott Mc Aleese
PORTGLENONE
21. Sean McVeigh 
ALL SAINTS 
22. Paddy McAleer 
ALL SAINTS 
23. Emmet Killough 
ALL SAINTS 
24. Patrick McBride 
ST JOHN'S
25. Conor Johnston 
ST JOHN'S
26. Mathew Fitzpatrick 
ST JOHN'S
27. Michael Armstrong
ROSSA 
28. Chris McGuinness 
ROSSA 
29. Eamon Mc Neill 
RASHARKIN 
30. Benny Hasson 
RASHARKIN 
31. Mark Sweeney 
ST JUDE'S
32. Niall Peoples
ST PAUL'S 
33. Ruairi Scott 
ST ENDA'S
34. Owen Gallagher 
GLENAVY 
35. Ronan Mc Grady 
ST BRIGIDS

ck

Any players not here who arguably should?

imtommygunn

Quote from: ck on January 25, 2015, 09:11:51 PM

Only noticing michael magill not on it. That's disappointing as no target man now. Paddy cunningham not there either though to be honest he's more backup these days.

Mainly retirements aside from that ck so none too contentious.

bannside

Hopefully the two missing Kevins will join up too at some stage. Both class acts we will need at some stage!

bannside

stiffler

What about the st teresas lads ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Glensman

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 25, 2015, 09:41:16 PM
Quote from: ck on January 25, 2015, 09:11:51 PM

Only noticing michael magill not on it. That's disappointing as no target man now. Paddy cunningham not there either though to be honest he's more backup these days.

Mainly retirements aside from that ck so none too contentious.

Magill not selected or not want to play? Agree re the lack of target man, which when on form he certainly was.

Cunningham not selected?

Are the two Kevins injured or taking a break?