Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Looking from the outside, if they own the grounds and building, surely they are within their rights to stop it operating on it's premises?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2014, 09:02:55 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on March 05, 2014, 08:57:29 AM
Looking from the outside, if they own the grounds and building, surely they are within their rights to stop it operating on it's premises?
Of course but there are legal ways of doing so. A landlord cannot just turn up at his house and change the locks saying "fcuk my tenants", can he?

The landlord can dependent on whether the occupier has a lease over the property giving them certain rights.

bannside

They are at the very least bound to have discussed the matter with the rest of the Antrim board and got some consensus on how to proceed with this matter, which was always going to be spiky. Relations between Co board and social club committee have been strained for years.

And on top of that, with the revamp of Casement and the Ulster council involvement in that, surely they needed to appraise Ulster on ongoing matters in relation to how to "evict" the social club tenants legally.

I doubt very seriously that JM and FQ went completely solo on this. Having said that I know very little detail about it, just like the vast majority of paid up members of Antrim GAA. Some more info on the matter would be welcome, but if another potential court case is pending then I can see the reasons why that is unlikely just now.

Surely they have no mandate to act so impulsively on such an important matter, so I would be "hopeful" that there is some official sanction at Ulster level for their actions. 

Gizzy15

Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2014, 09:25:42 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on March 05, 2014, 09:23:31 AM
Of course but there are legal ways of doing so. A landlord cannot just turn up at his house and change the locks saying "fcuk my tenants", can he?

The landlord can dependent on whether the occupier has a lease over the property giving them certain rights.
Considering they have been in court, fined and made to hand over the keys, we'll take it that this particular landlord cannot.

Gizzy15

Quote from: Gizzy15 on March 05, 2014, 02:33:49 PM
Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2014, 09:25:42 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on March 05, 2014, 09:23:31 AM

Considering they have been in court, fined and made to hand over the keys, we'll take it that this particular landlord cannot.

The cunty board have just had their ass handed to them on a plate again,.. Court order to turn the electricity back on, after another illegal act.

They had got all the clubs hoodwinked into voting to take legal action against the social club, but instead fcuked it up again by being underhand and cutting the electric, for which they were taken to court this morning and ordered to reverse what they had done.... More legal fees paid out. Serious bunch chancers. I hope the clubs are impressed.

johnneycool

I presume the existing social club committee had some form of 100 year lease or the likes for the Casement park bar?

If so would an appropriate space in the new Casement not appease them?

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on March 05, 2014, 03:04:43 PM
I presume the existing social club committee had some form of 100 year lease or the likes for the Casement park bar?

I would imagine in a brand new sparkly 'branded' stadium there would be no room for a social club type area. Too many questions of who owns what a dn bar/ social licenses etc etc etc

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2014, 03:14:33 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 05, 2014, 03:10:32 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 05, 2014, 03:04:43 PM

I would imagine in a brand new sparkly 'branded' stadium there would be no room for a social club type area. Too many questions of who owns what a dn bar/ social licenses etc etc etc
I, and I imagine the CSC committee, don't envisage that ever happening either to be honest.
The shiney new Casement will have loads of those wee bars selling pints for 4 pound odds. They don't want a social club knocking them out at 2.80.

And the ability to play snooker and have a wee go on the GG's ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2014, 03:32:28 PM
I don't think people playing snooker or watching horse racing would be the issue.

I dont think it is either, but was always a bit of an annoyance in me when a big match was going on outside and yet the bar and snooker table were flat out. I understand that it is social club but never really sat too comfortably that element of it.

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2014, 04:00:26 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 05, 2014, 03:52:54 PM
Quote from: hardstation on March 05, 2014, 03:32:28 PM
I don't think people playing snooker or watching horse racing would be the issue.

I dont think it is either, but was always a bit of an annoyance in me when a big match was going on outside and yet the bar and snooker table were flat out. I understand that it is social club but never really sat too comfortably that element of it.
Why? You do realise that Antrim GAA are generating money from these people, not just on match days but 7 days a week?

Next question;
   Can a social club exist without a link however tenuous to some other sort of organisation, sport, cultural, working mans club etc, etc?
At what point does a social club become a public bar?

imtommygunn

What about the Royal Ancient Order of Buffalo in town (not a joke!!)? Would that be a "social club" without beign attached to anything or what are these "working mens clubs" attached to?

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 05, 2014, 04:07:39 PM
What about the Royal Ancient Order of Buffalo in town (not a joke!!)? Would that be a "social club" without beign attached to anything or what are these "working mens clubs" attached to?

The Royal Ancient Order of Buffalo is a gentlemens club, akin to the Masons, charitable works and all that bumph. I suspect some of those working mens clubs were once part of an industry or large firm, Harland and Wolfe welders and all that.

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnneycool on March 05, 2014, 04:18:09 PM

The Royal Ancient Order of Buffalo is a gentlemens club, akin to the Masons, charitable works and all that bumph. I suspect some of those working mens clubs were once part of an industry or large firm, Harland and Wolfe welders and all that.

Ah right. Just wondering.

Milltown Row2

My old club!! ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 05, 2014, 04:30:07 PM

My old club!! ;)

Exactly, not a days work in the lot of them..