Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

north aontroim gael

I honestly don't see us being within 6 points of Monaghan.

Maybe pessimistic but I think the result on Sunday will show how far we are behind. 

bannside

Kevin Madden in his IN column was 100% right when he says that the loss of three influential players from last year (Mick, Locky, Aidso) is huge - all players who are big on leadership too, and this cant be underestimated in the heat of a championship match.

Monaghan looked very impressive against Meath in the league final, and make no mistake, under MOR they will be a different animal in the championship.

Its a tough ask, as I believe Monaghan are probably a top ten team in the country at this moment. But Casement on a dry day will be worth a few points of a start to us.  There are much better signals coming from the camp than earlier in the year - so I`m hoping it might be close going into the last quarter and all to play for.

It all depends which Antrim turns up. We seem to have at least two Antrim teams this last couple of years. If our A team turns up we have some kind of chance. Anything less and its lights out....

imtommygunn

Some people would be critical of Tony Scullion but IMO he's a massive loss too. He drives at teams which is something we don't really have with him and Loughrey gone and he's one who seems to step it up when the going gets tough.

Finding it hard to be too optimisitc about this one with goings on this last few months though wish I could be :-\

AQMP

Sad to say I don't think we have a prayer.  This could be a hammering :'(  I was at the Fermanagh Monaghan league game and was impressed by Monaghan.  They look a big strong physical side and we don't tend to do well against them.  They didn't panic when Fermanagh were quick out of the blocks and ran up 0-5 without reply.  They were also able to kick long range points.

Paddy Power is offering a very stingy 4/1 on Antrim.  I'd say we should be 7/1 or 8/1

Monaghan by 8-10.

bannside

Tony gave us some great years ITG, and will be well remembered for his contribution to the cause. Will be hard to forget those lung bursting runs of his, and he emptied the tank on many occasions for the cause.

He will be sore at the way things turned out under Frank Dawson, but every manager sees different things in players and what he wants out of them. It is fairly clear Frank and Tony had different ideas going on - maybe not each others biggest fan, and in any players career there will be some managers who rate and want you more than others.

At the end of the day every manager at this level knows that this is a results driven business, and FD has come out several times recently saying that the team selected for Sunday is the best available to him. He has had 9 months to arrive at this conclusion, and get them in the best possible shape, so Sunday is the acid test.

A win, or a very big performance, and a lot of what when on earlier this year will either be forgotten or glossed over. Anything less than that will open the floodgates for opinions of all shades and agendas. We will all be a lot wiser by Sunday evening!

AQMP

I think TS took a bit of undeserved flak from Antrim fans over the years.  He and the two McCanns are big losses.

optimus cheese

Conall Kelly away is another big loss. Seems one of few who can kick points from range

Milltown Row2

Quote from: optimus cheese on June 05, 2013, 03:38:36 PM
Conall Kelly away is another big loss. Seems one of few who can kick points from range

Seriously? I never seen too many Antrim players kick any points from distance unless it was a 45. Too many afraid to kick for scores and when they did they were usually wide, major problem for Antrim and always will be as we over do things once we get past midfield
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Antrim Team:

1. Chris Kerr Naomh Gall

2 Kevin O'Boyle Clann na hEireann
3 Ricky Johnston Ciceam Creagan
4 Andy McClean Naomh Gall

5 Sean Kelly Naomh Gall
6 Justin Crozier Clann na hEireann
7 Patrick McBride Naomh Eoin

8 Sean McVeigh Naomh Uile
9 Marty Johnston Ciceam Creagan

10 Anthony Healy Naomh Gall
11 Paddy Cunningham Lamh Dhearg
12 Mark Sweeney Naomh Brid

13 Michael Pollock Naomh Gall
14 Kevin Niblock Naomh Gall
15 Brendan Herron Lamh Dhearg

Decent team.

Agree Scullion gave great service, kicked/hoofed alot of ball too far but couldnt criticise other than that. Great running, the only man fit to hit/bury an opposition player (we've always been soft) and weighed in with the odd score. Clearly loved playing for and had pride in Antrim--something that is not the norm and something we sorely lack

IF we get ahead on Sunday we'll have a chance. If not we will do well to win.

Have hope as ever.

Shock of the year coming up!

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

CitySlicker11

Mark Sweeney Naomh Brid...

Is the above correct?

AQMP

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 08, 2013, 11:36:05 AM
Mark Sweeney Naomh Brid...

Is the above correct?

I think he's with St Jude's in Dublin??

AQMP

What is the phrase the Spanish use...shit on a stick??

NAG1

Does the lack of traffic on this thread the day after the biggest match of the year, highlight the problem?
No one really cares?

otbar

Was not a great day at the office - the price in did not reflect the standard that should of been provided.  Monaghan kicked a lot of wides and were very wasteful
but playing against a very negative antrim strategy.  Frank is rebuilding?  What people seem to ignore is that he crumbled the team and is trying to rebuild his own mess.

Joe brolly made a good point suggesting the manager was trying to save his own embaressment by damage limitation rather than going for it especially with a man down.
What a fantastic opportunity it was to put monaghan to the sword and leave a very good chance of another ulster final appearance.

Reading the Irish news he states that no team would want to meet us in the back door - dillusion at its best.  Any team will look to pull us be it home or away.

Thoughts?

Jeepers Creepers

Every team will hope to draw Antrim in the qualifiers after yesterdays performance. Brutal stuff. Beaten by a poor Monaghan side. Casement was less than half full and thats being generous. Not even a golf clap when Antrim came onto the pitch, says it all.