Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawhide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2013, 10:58:02 PM
Quote from: Gold on April 11, 2013, 09:23:44 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2013, 08:32:32 PM
Agree totally about Locky MR2. He was probably the best half back we have ever produced. Unfortunately every number 7 for the next decade will be compared to him.

On a more positive note I was in Cookstown last night to see our minors pull off their second win on the trot. A decent enough performance too. Good to see a few victories at this level, as I really feared the worst after the mauling they got from Tyrone in the first match.

Would expect a few of these lads to make the step in in a few years. Two Mallon`s from St Teresas looking the part, and two Rauiri`s (Scott and McCann) shaping up nicely as well.

Who have we beaten?

Derry and Fermanagh

I would not just cream the pants yet, Derry were missing 16 players from the St Pats Maghera panel who play in the Hogan final, and they have been absent the entire minor league, there are only 4 player from the St Pats team that are not available for the minor team
cccc is a true supporter lol

Gold

Quote from: Rawhide on April 12, 2013, 11:49:45 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2013, 10:58:02 PM
Quote from: Gold on April 11, 2013, 09:23:44 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 11, 2013, 08:32:32 PM
Agree totally about Locky MR2. He was probably the best half back we have ever produced. Unfortunately every number 7 for the next decade will be compared to him.

On a more positive note I was in Cookstown last night to see our minors pull off their second win on the trot. A decent enough performance too. Good to see a few victories at this level, as I really feared the worst after the mauling they got from Tyrone in the first match.

Would expect a few of these lads to make the step in in a few years. Two Mallon`s from St Teresas looking the part, and two Rauiri`s (Scott and McCann) shaping up nicely as well.

Who have we beaten?

Derry and Fermanagh

I would not just cream the pants yet, Derry were missing 16 players from the St Pats Maghera panel who play in the Hogan final, and they have been absent the entire minor league, there are only 4 player from the St Pats team that are available for the minor team

And Fermanagh are useless at underage.

Scoring 2 points v Tyrone tells us all we need to know. Didnt score in 2nd half of champ v Monaghan last year.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

DearyMe

Shame on the Irish News - irresponsible journalism once again, and at Antrims expense!  The laughing stock of Ulster Football!  Jimmy McGuiness came in and sorted out the sh*te talk in Donegal, look what they did!

Couple of points -

1. how dare Tony Scullion feel he can drag this out in the media and rally support to have Dawson sacked! (cause lads, thats all this is).

2. How dare the Irish News further exploit an already damaged county by publishing it!

3. To those who wrote into 'off the fence' - take a look at youreselves!!  Ken McGrath said to our hurlers recently that to win anything at this level your lives are put on hold - simple!

4. Think Dawson is doing a below average job to say the least - perhaps the washing is beginning to show why though!  That said - i would have made the same decision in his shoes!

Until Antrim stop talking sh*te using pathetic excuses - this will remain!

I commend Dawson for stepping up - about time - no one else has!  You never know, it might just work - long term!!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

FermGael

we are better than usual this year.
Fermanagh have beaten Donegal and gave Tyrone a good game by all accounts.
Fermanagh played nearly a completely different 15 to the team that were beaten by Tyrone
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Gold

Quote from: FermGael on April 12, 2013, 12:22:16 PM
we are better than usual this year.Fermanagh have beaten Donegal and gave Tyrone a good game by all accounts.
Fermanagh played nearly a completely different 15 to the team that were beaten by Tyrone

Fair point sure what would i know. Apologies.

At least you have people training at McCrory standard. We've far more boys but none playing McCrory (other than a few in Derry Schools) as St Mary's have dropped back down

manballandall

Have to agree Dearyme (who would have thought you'd ever be right). Its very easy to criticise and antrim players haven't earned the right to have egos like other counties.

bannside

Minors were leading Donegal by four points at half time, but ended up losing 1-07 to 1-04. That's two wins and two losses in the minor league. Probably a shield play off place awaits.

The next few days will probably see Frank Dawson bat the ball back into the "Cargin Three" court and include them all in his championship panel. Will they accept or decline? This things not fully played out yet. Hopefully all three will be back in doing their stuff - but I wouldn't be too optimistic about it!

Interesting to see what new faces are added. Sean Burke/Owen Gallagher for a bit more bulk to match Monaghans physicality around the middle???? Also I like the way Michael Mc Carry has developed. Should definitely be in there somewhere too in my book.

You know we have the players to take the game to Monaghan at Casement. 8 good weeks can see a big difference IF we get the right personnel on the pitch, knowing each others game, and playing with confidence. Nothing to lose is a great position to go into the championship.

Gold

What you think of the first round of results in Div1?

Ciceam an Creagán 1-12 1-3 St Ergnat's Moneyglass
Naomh Gall 4-14 2-4 Naomh Pól CLG
Naomh Seamas 0-7 1-8 St John's GAC
Clan na hEireann Carragan 2-15 0-3 O`Donovan Rossa GAC
St Bridgid's Belfast 0-5 4-15 Lamh Dhearg

Galls, Cargin and LD look strong and like the only 3 champnionship contenders. Well Galls, then the other 2.

St Brigids, without Loughrey, Dara Edwards and Sweeney could be in serious trouble. Rossa, Moneyglass and St Pauls (poor scoring returns of only 3 and 4 points) are in trouble too. Will be a fight between those 4 and Aldergrove to avoid the drop

Top 3 are far in front followed by Creggan, then Johns i think.

imtommygunn

It'll be interesting to see how Aldergrove do. They ran st johns tight enough.

Looks like st galls, cargin, lamh dhearg, maybe to a lesser extent creggan / st johns and then a fight between the rest of them for points most likely of each other.

Big beating fo st brigids who you'd have to imagine would struggle.

manballandall

Big scoring from lambs and with a big representative on the county panel/team must be early favourites for championship

DearyMe

They will fancy themselves big time - and why wouldnt they! 

But why did Seam McKenna up sticks and get outta there?

Surely if theyre that strong and contenders he woulda stayed around? no?
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Simon Says

They have a good front 8 which could cause any team problems, but serious question marks over their back line. id imagine a big crowd on saturday night for the game against cargin. Can anyone beat st galls in this years championship? They dismantled all the so called big teams around them, our game on sunday v aldergrove wasnt great, alot of work to do.

manballandall

All the worrying is over...the season has been salvaged.

Galls boys are back  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Simon Says

manballandall

Quite a few were asked but def back are Kelly, Stewart and O Neill (younger one)