Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Cat 1-3 = Single Code Suspensions - striking / stamping / headbutting / hairpulling / handbagging etc

Cat 4-5 = All levels / All activities - assaults on match officials etc

PeteG

For the most part it was nothing more than a scuffle between 2 players which most other players tried to break up including one that was then also booked in the end.  One of the worst offenders, a lamh dhearg county player, actually fly kicked a st galls player in the back and managed not to get booked at all!  ??? 

Once calmed down tho that was it over and the rest of the game continued without incident.

Not sure if it is a bit of a coincidence but there seems to be a common denominator between quite a few incidents over the last year; LD v Cargin in casement, LD v Rasharkin and now this.

PeteG

Wasn't trying to be unfair just more putting a question out there!  Wasn't at the rasharkin game so cant really pass any comment but did see the LD v Cargin and they were far from innocent in that.  Quite a number of their players were involved and it was definitley a 2 way thing... not all on Cargin.

optimus cheese

Thought 5 reds was a bit OTT, wasn't a pitched battle or that. Seemed to be getting calmed down then one or two players wanted to keep at it but seemed that more were there calming it down than anything else

Milltown Row2

Quote from: optimus cheese on May 31, 2012, 11:44:09 AM
Thought 5 reds was a bit OTT, wasn't a pitched battle or that. Seemed to be getting calmed down then one or two players wanted to keep at it but seemed that more were there calming it down than anything else

If you are a referee and you see someone throw a dig at someone, what do you do?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PeteG

Def agree the red cards were a bit much, some of the guys that were actually trying to break things up and are now going to get suspended for it.

Milltown Row2

Here's the thing about guys trying to break it up, it usually descends into more fights. If two guys want to have a go let them, stand back and let them blatter away (usually over in seconds), but if someone goes in i feel they will only make matters worse, someone else ways in and then someone else ways in........

Need to cut this out, before someone actually gets really hurt. You'd think getting suspended would stop you from getting involved again, no brainer.

Played a football match years ago v Sarsfields, won the ball and went through a tackle and laid the ball off to one of our players as i watched the ball go up field, my man dirty joe'd me with a four d to the side of the head, the referee sent both of us off!!! I hate referees that do that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PeteG

Well the issue was that it was 1 on 1 until another lamh dhearg guy fly kicked the st galls guy in the back while the 2 were fighting... when it becomes 2 on 1 are you still meant to stand back??  The third guy that got involved sparked the rest, as you say the initial incident would have fizzled out itself if it had not been for that.

johnneycool

I thought there was a rule years ago that the third man in was a straight red. In saying that, if its off the ball its more than likely that the referee hadn't how it started.

I'd like to see the man who throws the first dig get the line with the retaliator getting a yellow, but once again very hard to police.

optimus cheese

Doubt the referee saw the start because the ball had been moved to the far side of the field and was behind him when it kicked off. Seemed most of the players missed the start as did I as following the play.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on May 31, 2012, 01:48:58 PM
I thought there was a rule years ago that the third man in was a straight red. In saying that, if its off the ball its more than likely that the referee hadn't how it started.

I'd like to see the man who throws the first dig get the line with the retaliator getting a yellow, but once again very hard to police.

That's true, was at a course a while back and they said you (referee) should stand back and note who gets involved and any striking is a red card so you could end up sending off 4/5 players at any of these incidents.

Refereed a game a couple of weeks ago and the game was tight and a few hard challenges going in, nothing major. One of the lads, in fact a couple said that I was going to cause a riot!! I promptly said that if I saw anyone striking another player he'd get a straight red, needless to say there was no riot!! Referees never cause a free for all, they may give 'bad' calls but the players at the end of the day cause the fights

gelvis

Plenty of rowing at the Ballymena St Teresas game lastnight too I hear?
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

playwiththewind1st

It's pretty straightforward: Rule 5 - aggressive fouls - immediate order off (red cards).
Rule 5.9 football, 5.12 hurling - to contribute to a melee.

Hoof Hearted

refs are getting a bit OTT these days i think. I was at an antrim league game last night too where it finished 13 a side. A bit niggly now and again , but not the worst ive seen. the 1st red card was deserved but the rest were borderline, a bit more common sense could have been used. Seems like if it a bit more common sense was used at St Galls/LD, then i doubt if 5 Reds would have been issued.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

The Worker

Quote from: gelvis on May 31, 2012, 08:34:55 PM
Plenty of rowing at the Ballymena St Teresas game lastnight too I hear?

Many reds in that 1?