Post Office Horizon Scandal

Started by Square Ball, January 10, 2024, 04:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

What an absolute f**k up, and just another miscarriage of justice on a biblical scale, and the Brits have a good few. Never have I know a TV series to promote such a backlash. Hope to god they get justice.

Why have Fujitsu not been sued over this foe faulty software?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

NAG1

Quote from: Square Ball on January 10, 2024, 04:04:41 PMWhat an absolute f**k up, and just another miscarriage of justice on a biblical scale, and the Brits have a good few. Never have I know a TV series to promote such a backlash. Hope to god they get justice.

Think the bigger scandal in all of this is, why the feck it took a TV show to get them to do something about stuff they all knew anyway. Shows the pure ineptitude and worse of these people supposedly running the place.

Kidder81

Quote from: Square Ball on January 10, 2024, 04:04:41 PMWhat an absolute f**k up, and just another miscarriage of justice on a biblical scale, and the Brits have a good few. Never have I know a TV series to promote such a backlash. Hope to god they get justice.

Not sure why it took so long & why it took a tv show.

Nick Wallis, the bbc journalist who uncovered the story (about ten years ago) did a podcast a few years ago about it & it's well worth a listen. He also published a book about it a few years ago, none of this is new.

Kidder81

Quote from: NAG1 on January 10, 2024, 04:07:57 PM

Think the bigger scandal in all of this is, why the feck it took a TV show to get them to do something about stuff they all knew anyway. Shows the pure ineptitude and worse of these people supposedly running the place.

It's not even that the software was faulty, it was obviously, it's how the PO treated the sub-postmasters when they reported issues (as thieves).

They knew hundreds, maybe thousands of them were having issues with Horizon fixing a correct balance each day but each individual sub-postmaster was told no other staff had issues with it so they must be on the rob.

johnnycool

Quote from: NAG1 on January 10, 2024, 04:07:57 PM

This is a decade, if not longer scandal and at the heart of it was the privatisation of the Post Office, the tendering out of a software project to Fujitsu who have donated generously to the Tory part, but all parties have to take responsibility at some point in this fiasco.

imtommygunn

There are so many levels to this.

Fujitsu continue to get contracts with government. Fujitsu have ties with the government.

Government say they have been championing the PO workers cause for years and there's no evidence of it.

There is now a case of fraud against the PO. They recouped money from people that was basically akin to theft as they weren't owed it.

To top it off the tories made it nigh on impossible to get compensation for wrongful prosecution so very few here will get anything.

Delgany 2nds

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2024, 04:16:24 PMThere are so many levels to this.

Fujitsu continue to get contracts with government. Fujitsu have ties with the government.

Government say they have been championing the PO workers cause for years and there's no evidence of it.

There is now a case of fraud against the PO. They recouped money from people that was basically akin to theft as they weren't owed it.

To top it off the tories made it nigh on impossible to get compensation for wrongful prosecution so very few here will get anything.

Gillian Mc Keegans ( Secretary of State for Education) in Westminster is married to the CEO of...... Fujitsu!

Square Ball

Quote from: Delgany 2nds on January 10, 2024, 05:17:34 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2024, 04:16:24 PMThere are so many levels to this.

Gillian Mc Keegans ( Secretary of State for Education) in Westminster is married to the CEO of...... Fujitsu!

More Tory crocodile tears, it's a big trough and plenty of pigs to feed.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Tony Baloney

It's coming up to a General Election and the Tories are getting buried so they'll be all over this as the big caring party even though they've known about it for years. The TV show made it a populist story so it's manna from heaven to the government.

imtommygunn

That's exactly what's happening here.

Main Street

I'd say there's an even worse layer than that, the PO bosses absolutely knew the software was faulty as they were told that time and time again yet they persisted with  cover-up with the prosecution and persecution of the office managers.

quit yo jibbajabba

Also made the victims think it wasn't widespread and they were the only ones I read

Orior

The Horizon system was tested and accepted (as fit for purpose) by the Post Office. The PO would have expected the new finance system to unearth a number of fraudulent practices.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Kidder81

None of the parties were interested until a week ago, they have all known about it for years - a Tory MP, Arbuthnot, has been helping them for years get some sort of justice & brought it to select committees

Milltown Row2

I remember a report about this years ago...

I thought all this was well sorted before the tv programme

It's bizarre that it's taken this long, over 20 years for some to get any recognition and I suppose an election to actually get this up and running

There was a guy on today who was brought in for both parties to forensically examine the systems

He filed his report and the post office relieved him of his duties and scrapped his evidence...

Everything bought and paid for by the tax payer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea