China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: theskull1 on January 03, 2022, 03:15:40 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 03, 2022, 01:33:54 PM
Where is the stat that most people in ICU are obese coming from? I had a dig round and couldn't see it. I noticed in the states there are cdc stats that 30.3% of 900k hospitalised are / were obese which isn't exactly most. There are also studies saying that you are more likely to come to harm from COVID if you are obese but that's not exactly rocket science.

I'll be honest ... I heard it anecdotally from 2 ICU nurses who work in 2 different hospitals up here. I took their word given their day to day experience.

Searching myself online I found this CDC link to back up my confirmation bias.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7010e4.htm

Among 148,494 adults who received a COVID-19 diagnosis during an emergency department (ED) or inpatient visit at 238 U.S. hospitals during March–December 2020, 28.3% had overweight and 50.8% had obesity. Overweight and obesity were risk factors for invasive mechanical ventilation, and obesity was a risk factor for hospitalization and death, particularly among adults aged <65 years. Risks for hospitalization, ICU admission, and death were lowest among patients with BMIs of 24.2 kg/m2, 25.9 kg/m2, and 23.7 kg/m2, respectively, and then increased sharply with higher BMIs. Risk for invasive mechanical ventilation increased over the full range of BMIs, from 15 kg/m2 to 60 kg/m2. As clinicians develop care plans for COVID-19 patients, they should consider the risk for severe outcomes in patients with higher BMIs, especially for those with severe obesity. These findings highlight the clinical and public health implications of higher BMIs, including the need for intensive COVID-19 illness management as obesity severity increases, promotion of COVID-19 prevention strategies including continued vaccine prioritization (6) and masking, and policies to ensure community access to nutrition and physical activities that promote and support a healthy BMI.

Stay classy redhand.

https://www.endocrine.org/news-and-advocacy/news-room/featured-science-from-endo-2021/hospitalized-covid-patients-with-obesity-are-significantly-more-likely-to-need-icu-care

And

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41366-021-00872-9

both have a different result to your study, so who is right???

So to sum up, we blame obese people who need ICU because obese people are more likely (not a majority) to end up in ICU, so it's their fault.
But when unvaccinated make up a disproportionate amount of ICU beds we celebrate their right to choose. Am I far off?

theskull1

Unreal    :-\

I've no intention of getting drawn in. Just trying to offer my opinion which you have every right to ignore.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

J70

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on January 03, 2022, 03:55:58 PM
obesity is linked to increased risk of serious illness https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/effects/index.html

how long would it take those with a bmi over 50 to get to a healthy weight? How long does it take a vaccine to offer protection? How long has it been known that obesity carries extra health risk yet if anything it is becoming a growing problem... There was many articles about covid and the high risk factors including obesity.

However, there is no vaccine for obesity. unvaccinated make up a very large number of those in hospitals and there is a easy fix for this...

Indeed.

And part of the reason Omicron is having a per capita relatively mild effect is because so many are vaccinated.

Its pretty simple: get f**king vaccinated so everyone can get back to a normal life and not have to worry that there won't be a hospital bed when we need it!

Wildweasel74

Angelo/ Bomber, on to his nxt user name. No chance Admin get their house in order and bann/block this p***k permanently. He been a plague on this board past 3/4 yrs.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: theskull1 on January 03, 2022, 04:38:13 PM

I've no intention of getting drawn in. Just trying to offer my opinion which you have every right to ignore.

yes it is unreal where a vaccine exists that reduces hospitalisation from covid but isn't taken by a percentage of people you choose to focus on obesity after previously making comments about home treatments pre hospitalisation which were going through the approval processes (I think two are approved now) and according to another poster also posted about vitamin D... unreal ( its actually a lot worst than that when I had a quick look over your posts.. with McCullough and spoofer John and the Japan miracle re invermectin)

JoG2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 03, 2022, 04:43:48 PM
Angelo/ Bomber, on to his nxt user name. No chance Admin get their house in order and bann/block this p***k permanently. He been a plague on this board past 3/4 yrs.

You tell them WW!  ;D My particular favourite was him pretending to be an Antrim man (complete with chosen club) a few months back.

theskull1

get f**king vaccinated
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59857507

I have my reservations, but know fine rightly in time the data may very well show I had nothing to worry about (if I survive long enough). I'm certain of nothing as Ive said here already. The degree of certainty of some here is hard to fathom though, given the history of rushed nature of these new drugs (never mind the ethics of pharma companies in recent decades). There is so much we do not know in terms of unintended outcomes. I hope your faith has been well placed.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Quote from: theskull1 on January 03, 2022, 04:38:13 PM

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html

That was what I read.

In terms of my view of degrees of certainty I wouldn't have a degree of certainty but think it's best we can do with the vaccine. I think data backs that up when you research it. One of the issues on this forum is that two or three of the main protagonists for being anti vaccine or vaccine sceptical at least have shown themselves, at best, to be people should be wearing tin foil hats. That is not because they are against vaccines. It is because when the surface was scratched that was what it showed... Also the main argumentative one has driven people demented with their various personas so tbh it has, and he does this with every thread, largely ruined any chance of any proper debate because it ends up in insults.

J70

Quote from: theskull1 on January 03, 2022, 06:09:17 PM
get f**king vaccinated

I have my reservations, but know fine rightly in time the data may very well show I had nothing to worry about (if I survive long enough). I'm certain of nothing as Ive said here already. The degree of certainty of some here is hard to fathom though, given the history of rushed nature of these new drugs (never mind the ethics of pharma companies in recent decades). There is so much we do not know in terms of unintended outcomes. I hope your faith has been well placed.

Sure why take ANY medicines or undergo any type of treatment then?

Loads of them have potential, unintended harmful effects in addition to the documented side effects.

You take an aspirin, you could bleed to death. You could get a bad allergic reaction from antibiotics. The surgeon doing your open-heart surgery could accidently nick an artery with his scalpel.

The US has passed 200 million people fully vaccinated. I'm sure the rest of the world brings the total well into the hundreds of millions, if not billions.

5.5 million people have died worldwide from Covid. How many have died from the vaccine? Where is the evidence that the vaccine is more dangerous than the disease?

NotedObserver

I recently got double vaxxed but how much of a help is against omicron? Not sure if it is much at all

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: theskull1 on January 03, 2022, 06:09:17 PM
get f**king vaccinated

see there is a number of your problems,

1. it's not faith, it's the best currently available medical science which has been clinically trialled.

2. it not just about you, it about the health service and protecting everyone. it is like insurance in a way, hopefully you never need it but its there I'd you do (not a perfect analogy).

3. you don't trust pharma companies but happily you have put your eggs in the politicalised medical professions basket who have shown not to have much ethics either, you will be hard pushed to find an industry where ethics isn't an issue...

4.  it was rushed, it was prioritisated by regulators, there was alot of research already into mrna vaccines, there was plenty of people for trials. there is plenty of reading material if you Google on how it was faster than other drugs without speculating that there must be something wrong as it was competed faster...

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 03, 2022, 06:36:34 PM
I recently got double vaxxed but how much of a help is against omicron? Not sure if it is much at all

Google it, it helps

Wildweasel74

Not on for 5-11yr getting vaccinated myself but u say I could get 90% backing to get your barred from the board after numerous come backs.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Thastheball on January 03, 2022, 06:41:34 PM
J70, Its not, very few here arguing that. But my gut says no until there is over whelming evidence its safe.  No hidden stories, people who have had deaths and serious side effects sidelined from telling their stories. For me its about time.

What the feck is the end game with 5-11 yr olds getting a vaccine they without doubt don't need.

How are people sidelined from telling their stories?