China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: Louther on July 06, 2021, 10:56:44 AM
Johnson lost a by election and is looking to get the public back on side but more importantly with his new Health minister very corporate driven, they looking to get big business open and running as normal.

The mask wearing and directive on that is very divisive and will be a huge issue. Like Brexit again - for and against. Was no reason why it couldn't have been kept for a number of weeks/month on public transport etc.

Wearing a mask isn't really that hard.
The best comment I heard on the mask issue was from Dr Tom Black at the weekend.  He said his older patients didn't get old by being stupid, they got old by being smart and that he thought that most sensible people will continue to wear masks in certain circumstances in any case.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

armaghniac

Quote from: mackers on July 06, 2021, 11:46:05 AM
The best comment I heard on the mask issue was from Dr Tom Black at the weekend.  He said his older patients didn't get old by being stupid, they got old by being smart and that he thought that most sensible people will continue to wear masks in certain circumstances in any case.

That is fine, but the benefit of the mask is not only or mostly to the mask wearer but to the other people around. The young people, who are not vaccinated and many of whom will have Covid, will not be wearing masks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Louther

Quote from: mackers on July 06, 2021, 11:46:05 AM
Johnson lost a by election and is looking to get the public back on side but more importantly with his new Health minister very corporate driven, they looking to get big business open and running as normal.

The mask wearing and directive on that is very divisive and will be a huge issue. Like Brexit again - for and against. Was no reason why it couldn't have been kept for a number of weeks/month on public transport etc.

True enough alright.

Generally plenty of people will show logic, others will take pleasure in not doing what advised and ensure everyone knows about it. They happy to let others do the "lifting" for them.

Armagh18

True the mask thing is probably the only issue a reasonable person could have with the announcement. But then again if you're double jabbed it'd shouldn't matter.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: trailer on July 06, 2021, 11:39:22 AM
I'm a bit torn with the whole thing. I don't really understand the whole mask issue. If I am popping to the shops, I just put it on. It's no big hassle honestly. But I am all for getting things back to normal were possible. The figures that they need to keep an eye on is hospital admissions. If they rise significantly then all bets are off.
Johnston has put everything on the Vaccine. Let's hope he's right.

Other than shops and public transport I don't see the need for masks. I see plenty driving around alone wearing mask not sure what is going on there?

Boris is putting all his eggs in one basket and some contrast from the ROI approach to things. As you say let's hope he's right.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/07/05/boris-johnson-announcement-lockdown-easing-restrictions-july/
the Prime Minister has stressed that this is not the end of the pandemic - but it is the end of legal limits and the return of personal responsibility.

UK numbers are still going up. 5k mid June to 27k yesterday.

Blowitupref

Leo Varadkar today.

QuoteI'd warn against any "spiral of fear" because vaccines offers such protection

"I want to reassure people, you will see cases rise dramatically over the next few weeks, but it's not the same as it was back in the Alpha wave or last year... the Delta wave will be different, let's avoid a cycle of fear"

I'm not predicting any specific case number, but in principle cases could increase dramatically without an increase of similar scale on hospitalisations

I'd say the fear will be hard to dislodge with the manner that the Irish media cover this virus.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

Basically it's created two thoughts on it - this is real and you should be shit scared of it or the other extreme of this shit again.

Boris will now just blame people if it goes wrong this time. Watch this space. It's already been done by him. If it's a success he will take all responsibility for it and if it it fails he will take none. The thing is - no matter what he will get away with it.

JoG2

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 06, 2021, 12:56:24 PM

True the mask thing is probably the only issue a reasonable person could have with the announcement. But then again if you're double jabbed it'd shouldn't matter.

What percentage of people are now fully vaccinated??

Armagh18

Quote from: JoG2 on July 06, 2021, 02:50:34 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on July 06, 2021, 12:56:24 PM

What percentage of people are now fully vaccinated??
I'm not sure but it is fairly high, 80% plus have had first dose at least.

Cunny Funt

Armagh18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 06, 2021, 03:35:50 PM
Todays update.

Good going. North is even further along. Those in charge of the vaccine rollout really have done a superb job.

armaghniac

42 cases in Kilkeel seafood
https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1412497599387607045
that's a few days off over the 12th.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

What do people think of the term "anti vaxer". Personally don't like it, it always seems to be used in a very negative almost abusive manner

There are loads out there who aren't anti vaccination but just choose that it's not for them.

14 in my office. Only 6 got vaccinated. Some of the office exchanges getting a bit tense

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 06, 2021, 11:08:18 PM
There are loads out there who aren't anti vaccination but just choose that it's not for them.

Just like there are loads out there are not anti thread on your tyres but it is not for them? The point is that the rest of us are on the road too.

Once vaccines are available to everyone they need to create a health and safety requirement on employers to ensure that their staff are not unnecessarily exposed to Covid. This wouldn't absolutely prohibit them employing anti vaxxers but it would require them to put them in a different room with separate ventilation and not mix in canteens etc.