China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

This is what we're up against

Covid: 400-person wedding party in Stamford Hill broken up by police

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55764673

tyroneman

I would be sceptical about saying 'most' people have been responsible.

A slim majority perhaps.

I see and hear people talking about how deadly covid is, yet don't wear a mask in the local shop, or think they can visit as many people indoors as they like, as long as they are family, or who take wee day trips here there and everywhere, because they can.

They may wash thier hands more often, or 'distance' a couple of feet, or maybe stop visiting friends as often, but I would struggle to say they most people are fully 'responsible' in what they do, becasue there is so little comeback if they don't.

As long as all shops don't stop people entering unless they have a mask, for example, many people will still continue not to bother.

Mario

Quote from: tyroneman on January 22, 2021, 12:39:17 PM

A slim majority perhaps.

I see and hear people talking about how deadly covid is, yet don't wear a mask in the local shop, or think they can visit as many people indoors as they like, as long as they are family, or who take wee day trips here there and everywhere, because they can.

They may wash thier hands more often, or 'distance' a couple of feet, or maybe stop visiting friends as often, but I would struggle to say they most people are fully 'responsible' in what they do, becasue there is so little comeback if they don't.

As long as all shops don't stop people entering unless they have a mask, for example, many people will still continue not to bother.
I live in Belfast and in the past few months 99% of people i see in the supermarket or spar have been wearing masks. If masks are the solution they clearly aren't working like some people have you believe. Complaints about mask wearing compliance are massively exaggerated.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: bennydorano on January 22, 2021, 12:34:37 PM

Them oul jews up to no good again!

JoG2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 22, 2021, 11:22:30 AM
Do you hold the belief that house parties are as prevalent as we have been told by the executive, that seems the flat source of blame at the moment?

I drove through a local town last night on my way home from a run and seen about 20 outside one of the Local Fast Food places. Admittedly outside, but surely still 'as bad'?

Yes, house parties are rampant atm. I personally know a crowd of 30/40 something professionals who are holding / attending shabeens once or twice a week. I've a wain of going out age and tonnes of her age are on the batter every weekend.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 22, 2021, 12:00:39 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 22, 2021, 11:39:59 AM
See a small article in today's  UK Times - 'Absence of flu admissions puzzles doctors'. Important bits:
- No UK admissions in first 2 weeks of January
- trend echoed in other parts of world
- in Japan there were 1,000 flu patients in 2nd week of January compared with 800,000 over the same period last year.

WHO stated "This is an extremely puzzling phenomenon. We're in a historic unbelievable situation."

Ach look we know what's going on there but it just leads to a flu v covid war on here. Clearly the flu is being recorded as Covid...whilst they are different, they have crossover symptoms.

Alot of people just are afraid to go near hospitals right now....rightly or wrongly, they are saying nothing and getting on with it.

Provided those people stay at home until the flu passes then they flu will not circulate.
It may well be that flu is relatively easy to stop compared to Covid as you generally know you have flu if you are capable of infecting others.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

QuoteI wish guidance on when restrictions might ease was given based on science and not a date.
For example: when the % of positive tests has fallen below x% for 7 days in a row.

I like this kind of idea.

bennydorano

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 22, 2021, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 22, 2021, 12:34:37 PM

Them oul jews up to no good again!
I know you're only messing - this will likely be treated with kid gloves exactly because of the political & social hot potato it is - when they should all be punished to the full extent of the law. It'll be interesting to see the papers coverage 2moro.

Jewish leaders have unreservedly condemned it as an act of desecration.

GetOverTheBar

I was only messing but they have a big problem with the Jews in the states, it runs rampant through that community. They aren't too open to the ideas of social distancing and gatherings. There were many instances in New York during the initial surge they completely ignored it.

I read the article, windows covered etc.....I mean if you didn't laugh you would cry. In a school too, unbelievable.

In instances like this, you'd be in a sweat shop working for Nike in China. Here you are fined a few quid....to some people financial sanction isn't a deterrent. I'd like to be in their shoes, but.....Will it put off the next wealthy family who will 'only' get fined 10k?

Milltown Row2

See a small article in today's  UK Times - 'Absence of flu admissions puzzles doctors'. Important bits:
- in Japan there were 1,000 flu patients in 2nd week of January compared with 800,000 over the same period last year.

WHO stated "This is an extremely puzzling phenomenon. We're in a historic unbelievable situation."

Ach look we know what's going on there but it just leads to a flu v covid war on here. Clearly the flu is being recorded as Covid...whilst they are different, they have crossover symptoms.

Alot of people just are afraid to go near hospitals right now....rightly or wrongly, they are saying nothing and getting on with it.

Can we not just say that the flu hasn't caught on because the transmission of the flu is harder to catch that covid and that we are isolating (certainly the elderly) a lot better than ever before? I would have thought that was a standard enough to work out

Its been talked about but I don't see how you can confuse the testing for Covid for flu... Unless covid is flu with a much higher load strain, but that would mean that the WHO, and all other bodies got this wrong, meaning, Angelo was right all this time lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2021, 02:40:32 PM

Can we not just say that the flu hasn't caught on because the transmission of the flu is harder to catch that covid and that we are isolating (certainly the elderly) a lot better than ever before? I would have thought that was a standard enough to work out

Its been talked about but I don't see how you can confuse the testing for Covid for flu... Unless covid is flu with a much higher load strain, but that would mean that the WHO, and all other bodies got this wrong, meaning, Angelo was right all this time lol

Ah look I've no idea, but in fairness to Angelo. The Flu hasn't just vanished either. Someone who knows alot more about this type of thing can comment but it does seem.....bizarre.

armaghniac

Quote from: tyroneman on January 22, 2021, 12:39:17 PM

A slim majority perhaps.

The point is that if you are doing these things then you are acting in a way that will spread Covid among your family and neighbours, any decent person should not wish ill will to these people and shouldn't need the government to coerce them into behaving responsibly.

It is a bit like driving, people may occasionally break technical rules about speed limits etc but still be safe drivers because they have carefully judged when to break the rules. Two people living alone who took a walk outside, 2m apart, would be technically against the rules in the 26 counties, but it is a whole different order of magnitude to visiting several different households indoors when you have also been working in a public place.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

I can't comment on anywhere else but round where I live I pretty much never see anyone who isn't wearing a mask in shops.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 22, 2021, 07:58:01 AM
Given I live through it I do know what a lockdown means. Cutting social contact down equals less spread London variant or not.
Via twitter

Almost 70% of Northern Ireland's #COVID19 infections are with the new variant. It shows the effect of no controls on ports and airports. Today's Office for National Statistics survey report: https://bit.ly/39YJ3zW

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 22, 2021, 03:04:53 PM
I can't comment on anywhere else but round where I live I pretty much never see anyone who isn't wearing a mask in shops.

I'm not seeing it much either tbf, and no one is allowed in without a mask either....

But tell me why are there still people in the town center? I know there are still people working in supermarkets and banks, I'm working also, but I'm actually classed as a front line worker (no clapping please) and unable to work from home due to the work I do, but office workers should (if able) work from home, like they did first time around. Coming into town to go shopping/banking is what's getting me, they are actually passing local shops to come into Belfast to shop!!

Getting taxi's, busses or asking friends or family to drive them in while they walk around the ghost town that is the city center just seems daft... I normally at lunch time do a 4k walk, I don't bother now as I don't want to catch anything
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea