China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

For everyone anxious to open up ASAP - consider this - if another week or two closed down now prevented a lockdown in 6 months time - what would you do?
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

I'm afraid common sense doesn't come into it
Should daddy be going to a packed beach no. Does it happen course it does
I'm not intent on Schools going back. A phased return from the start of June should have happened from primary 4 up to say year 3
Primary 4/5 in one week primary 6/7 in the next. 2 weeks each they would have got. Now this is for young ones to see friends and primary 7 to see out the schools they all went too. They can never get those times back ever.
0 deaths in the north today and only 3 cases.

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 09, 2020, 02:27:19 PM
For everyone anxious to open up ASAP - consider this - if another week or two closed down now prevented a lockdown in 6 months time - what would you do?

I suppose my question back to you would would centre upon what evidence, what figures, what statistics to you need to come across, before you (personally) would agree that it's safe to open?

I'm genuinely interested here. Do we need 0 deaths for a couple of days, zero cases for a week? What is it that would satisfy someone as worried about the virus, as you have been throughout.

Taylor

Quote from: thewobbler on June 09, 2020, 02:32:13 PM

I suppose my question back to you would would centre upon what evidence, what figures, what statistics to you need to come across, before you (personally) would agree that it's safe to open?

I'm genuinely interested here. Do we need 0 deaths for a couple of days, zero cases for a week? What is it that would satisfy someone as worried knowledgeable about the virus, as you have been throughout.

Fixed that for you

Franko

Quote from: thewobbler on June 09, 2020, 02:32:13 PM

I'm genuinely interested here. Do we need 0 deaths for a couple of days, zero cases for a week? What is it that would satisfy someone as consistently right about the virus, as you have been throughout.

Had another go at fixing it.

thewobbler

No doubt on knowledgeable. Consistently right is open to interpretation, and may even enjoy an asterisk beside, should a wave 2 not materialise.

But either way, I'm still interested to know.

Franko

Quote from: thewobbler on June 09, 2020, 02:52:23 PM
No doubt on knowledgeable. Consistently right is open to interpretation, and may even enjoy an asterisk beside, should a wave 2 not materialise.

Agreed - it's a fair question.  And I think, on a gov't front, that sort of criteria needs to be laid out plainly (in numbers) to set people a target if nothing else.

Otherwise, I don't really see how you can say that Radio has been anything other than correct in his (her) predictions so far.  You've nearly proved the point yourself.  The only thing you could fault him on was something which hasn't happened yet  ;D

thewobbler

Quote from: Franko on June 09, 2020, 02:58:39 PM

Agreed - it's a fair question.  And I think, on a gov't front, that sort of criteria needs to be laid out plainly (in numbers) to set people a target if nothing else.

Otherwise, I don't really see how you can say that Radio has been anything other than correct in his (her) predictions so far.  You've nearly proved the point yourself.  The only thing you could fault him on was something which hasn't happened yet  ;D

We have a conundrum on this one Franko in that while Radio has consistently proven himself (or herself) able to understand and relay the science, his leaning has consistently been towards the catastrophic conclusion.  Not quite Neil Ferguson levels, but definitely erring on the "lock yourself in a bunker" side of caution. So while the overview was largely on the money, the impact was never close.

I've enjoyed reading his inputs. Just, as in all things in life, I reserve the right to be sceptical of anything that is not proven.

Franko

Quote from: thewobbler on June 09, 2020, 03:07:46 PM

We have a conundrum on this one Franko in that while Radio has consistently proven himself (or herself) able to understand and relay the science, his leaning has consistently been towards the catastrophic conclusion.  Not quite Neil Ferguson levels, but definitely erring on the "lock yourself in a bunker" side of caution. So while the overview was largely on the money, the impact was never close.

I've enjoyed reading his inputs. Just, as in all things in life, I reserve the right to be sceptical of anything that is not proven.

A few things;

1. 60,000 odd dead people is pretty catastrophic
2. My reading of his most "catastrophic" predictions were in the event that no action was taken
3. Most countries have taken hugely decisive courses of action and as a result, have averted total disaster
4. The countries with the most laissez-faire attitudes (which were most at odds with the courses of action that Radio had advocated here) have performed worst in this crisis.  I'm sure this is no coincidence

johnnycool

Quote from: Franko on June 09, 2020, 04:09:31 PM

A few things;

2. My reading of his most "catastrophic" predictions were in the event that no action was taken
3. Most countries have taken hugely decisive courses of action and as a result, have averted total disaster
4. The countries with the most laissez-faire attitudes (which were most at odds with the courses of action that Radio had advocated here) have performed worst in this crisis.  I'm sure this is no coincidence

The UK "took it on the chin" as Boris alluded to and still managed to f**k up the economy along with the 60K deaths.

Countries that locked down earlier are quicker on open up but Boris is opening up anyway even if a pretty high infection rate.
1200 cases yesterday which is roughly the same as it was on the 24th of March when he locked down!

The Tories are winging this one in a big way.

Franko

Quote from: johnnycool on June 09, 2020, 04:35:49 PM

A few things;

The UK "took it on the chin" as Boris alluded to and still managed to f**k up the economy along with the 60K deaths.

Countries that locked down earlier are quicker on open up but Boris is opening up anyway even if a pretty high infection rate.
1200 cases yesterday which is roughly the same as it was on the 24th of March when he locked down!

Big Balls Boris couldn't make the decision.

He had the choice (as he saw it) of either f**king the economy or people dying in huge numbers.  And he didn't want to be seen as the guy who did either of those things.

So he tried to fudge it and ended up with a foot in both camps.

The Irish guy who gave the speech about "act now, if you wait to be right, you've waited too long" was bang on the money.

GetOverTheBar

A few things;

Serious question, say an election next month.

Do you honestly believe that they wouldn't get re-elected?

The British Media are at their work....Coronavirus all of a sudden wasn't as bad as feared....bars to reopen soon, Premier League starting back up...oh, and what's that in the distance....a no deal brexit bell?

Taylor

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 09, 2020, 05:04:36 PM

A few things;

The British Media are at their work....Coronavirus all of a sudden wasn't as bad as feared....bars to reopen soon, Premier League starting back up...oh, and what's that in the distance....a no deal brexit bell?

No - I would firmly believe they would get elected again - maybe not with the landslide they had but they would be re-elected.

Its a shitshow of a place controlled by the media (or by the paymasters of the media).

Imagine making such a fuckup of this situation and still being untouchable

seafoid

Quote from: Taylor on June 09, 2020, 05:24:18 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 09, 2020, 05:04:36 PM

A few things;

No - I would firmly believe they would get elected again - maybe not with the landslide they had but they would be re-elected.

Its a shitshow of a place controlled by the media (or by the paymasters of the media).

Imagine making such a fuckup of this situation and still being untouchable

5m unemployment predicted and the virus isn't yet under control.
I think the Tories may be snookered.

Smurfy123

It's the constant lies and bullshit that they come out with that annoys me
Can't answer a simple question without a bullshit answer
The smugness
Never admit they got anything wrong
The lies with the testing
The car crash tv interviews
They seen what was coming before it came and still failed to lockdown
Absolutely morons