China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2020, 11:34:11 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 21, 2020, 11:16:02 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 21, 2020, 09:39:04 AM
The South of Ireland has the lowest R rate in Europe at 0.25 approx.
Great news

Who says this? It seems improbable. Link please.

In the UK I read the R rate is not a here and now figure but a week or two behind what is happening today - is this the case in the South as well?

If the .25 figure is accurate and a couple of weeks behind that would change the picture considerably............

The rate was announced today as between 0.45 and 0.63.
0.25 would be almost  impossible to achieve in a disease with so many without symptoms.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2020, 07:23:08 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 21, 2020, 06:05:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2020, 05:53:42 PM
Nail on heard HS, and listening to thon clampit Nolan last night being a mixing Cnut! He can't get any proper guests on the show cause he actually doesn't care for anything but his ratings!

Edit: Nolan did a feature on getting schools opened
He has more influence than you think. He made a big deal about the lack of computers in working class houses and hey presto Weir announces today that funding will be available for exactly that....

Is he paying for the broadband as well?

Unfortunately most of the working class can't avail as its for free school meals families I think ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on May 21, 2020, 07:59:06 PM
Nail on heard HS, and listening to thon clampit Nolan last night being a mixing Cnut! He can't get any proper guests on the show cause he actually doesn't care for anything but his ratings!

He has more influence than you think. He made a big deal about the lack of computers in working class houses and hey presto Weir announces today that funding will be available for exactly that....

Unfortunately most of the working class can't avail as its for free school meals families I think ?

But able to pay let's say for four tablets and no internet but free meals?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2020, 08:05:20 PM

But able to pay let's say for four tablets and no internet but free meals?

Free school meals isn't a sexy headline. Free iPads is.

RadioGAAGAA

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of that label; "Working class".

It does two things - (1) implies anyone outside of it isn't working and (2) it ironically extends to include a sub-group of people who avoid work as best they can and are the antithesis of the label "working class".

i usse an speelchekor

Kidder81

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 21, 2020, 08:36:35 PM

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of that label; "Working class".

It does two things - (1) implies anyone outside of it isn't working and (2) it ironically extends to include a sub-group of people who avoid work as best they can and are the antithesis of the label "working class".

That's what I was getting at

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

delgany

Just to make clear - Minister Weir has offered the laptops that are already in schools in phase one of his plan. He had said they will purchase 3 000 in phase 2 and 4, 000 ( if needed) in phase 3.
Primary school laptops are complete rubbish and are  currently about 3 years out of date.
He accounts for 18 000 school based devices and 3000 -6 000 of new investment .

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: delgany on May 21, 2020, 08:51:12 PM
Primary school laptops are complete rubbish and are  currently about 3 years out of date.

F88k all wrong with a 3 year old laptop. [apart from maybe battery - but sure these things aren't really being used off grid anyway]

Avoid loading it with Microbloat and Apple iO$ and it'd be fine.

Utterly amazes me that governments across the world continue to pay obscene amounts for software which requires constant hardware upgrades to function satisfactorily. If they put the equivalent investment into an open source alternative over 2 years, they'd likely be able to cut maintenance budget to a trickle and be fine for many years.

Recently put Ubuntu 20.04 on an 11 year old laptop - not a bother to it - happily zooms away. A week before the same laptop failed dismally at the same task when running Win10.
i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

The open source route never going to happen.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 21, 2020, 09:49:32 PM
The open source route never going to happen.

I know.

The reasons behind that are shit though. Basically brown envelopes.
i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

What are the reasons? I would have thought support contracts a big thing. Windows support shops all over the place. Not too many *nix ones about.

delgany

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 21, 2020, 09:27:58 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 21, 2020, 08:51:12 PM

F88k all wrong with a 3 year old laptop. [apart from maybe battery - but sure these things aren't really being used off grid anyway]

Avoid loading it with Microbloat and Apple iO$ and it'd be fine.

Utterly amazes me that governments across the world continue to pay obscene amounts for software which requires constant hardware upgrades to function satisfactorily. If they put the equivalent investment into an open source alternative over 2 years, they'd likely be able to cut maintenance budget to a trickle and be fine for many years.

Recently put Ubuntu 20.04 on an 11 year old laptop - not a bother to it - happily zooms away. A week before the same laptop failed dismally at the same task when running Win10.

I didn't  say they were three years old ! Well past three years , at least 6- 7 years old .Recently refreshed to Windows 10 and Microsoft 2016 software.  They'll hold up well .

Capt Pat

What about scrapping the leaving cert this year? They should have gone ahead with the exams at the normal time. Giving out results based on mock exams etc is not a fair way of doing things at all. I know my leaving cert results were based on work done after the mocks so I am glad this years system did not apply to me.

sid waddell

Some of these bots will have columns in the Daily Telegraph, Spiked Online, the Spectator and the Wall Street Journal in the near future. And maybe a guest slot on the Brendan O'Connor show on radio.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1263553262365675520

@HelenBranswell

Nearly half of @Twitter accounts tweeting about #Covid19 may be bots, researchers from Carnegie Mellon U. report; many aim to sow dissent & worsen the impact of the pandemic. The depravity of that boggles my mind. Makes you actually hope there's a hell.