China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: five points on April 21, 2020, 01:04:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 21, 2020, 12:49:08 PM

Its amazing that you have to actually point that out.

But not surprising. Its happens every time there's some big issue that requires mass response. Then, after the appropriate measures are taken or imposed to contain or prevent the problem, you have the backlash saying it was all bullshit or overstated in the first place, as if the preventative measures were irrelevant to the relatively happy outcome.

The thing is that the economy has never previously been shut down in the history of the State. For the simple reason that taking such drastic action will never result in any sort of relatively happy outcome.

The workers strike crippled the country for a period
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smurfy123

I think lockdown measures were needed but not on the scale where everything closed
The big thing was the social distancing
All shops should have been kept open with strict social distancing
Building sites also kept open
Offices kept open with strict distancing where possible
Leisure centres

Closed for a month
Schools
Pubs
Restaurant

Closed when they did and reopen after Easter
If anyone feeling sick self isolate for 2 weeks
And really bang home the social distancing in everyday life

If things don't open soon it will be to late to claw things back

five points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 01:10:04 PM

But not surprising. Its happens every time there's some big issue that requires mass response. Then, after the appropriate measures are taken or imposed to contain or prevent the problem, you have the backlash saying it was all bullshit or overstated in the first place, as if the preventative measures were irrelevant to the relatively happy outcome.

The thing is that the economy has never previously been shut down in the history of the State. For the simple reason that taking such drastic action will never result in any sort of relatively happy outcome.

The workers strike crippled the country for a period

I'm talking ROI of course but it ended badly too.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 21, 2020, 01:14:29 PM
I think lockdown measures were needed but not on the scale where everything closed

NO NO NO NO NO.

You come down hard at the start and release things after you are sure you have it under control.

If you f**k about at the start, then it can quickly grow beyond control.

If UK/Ire had banned flights from Italy in early Feb, banned ski trips to Italy and had enacted proper measures earlier - we might well be out the far side of it now and could restart then entire local economy.
i usse an speelchekor

gallsman

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 21, 2020, 01:14:29 PM
The big thing was the social distancing
All shops should have been kept open with strict social distancing
Building sites also kept open
Offices kept open with strict distancing where possible
Leisure centres

Closed for a month
Schools
Pubs
Restaurant

Closed when they did and reopen after Easter
If anyone feeling sick self isolate for 2 weeks
And really bang home the social distancing in everyday life

If things don't open soon it will be to late to claw things back

What? Social distancing simply isn't possible in offices. They're actively designed to bring people together.

J70

You don't think avoiding the horrific scenes in Italy counts as a relative success?

There was no manual to refer to with this virus except to avoid the mistakes of those who had the misfortune to experience an outbreak before you did. Italy waited too long to shut down, and suffered the consequences. The only responsible action in the light of the available evidence was to shut things down to avoid spread. What would Boris Johnson do if he could have early March back for the UK?

charlieTully

Some of the comments on here remind me of the movie the beach, when the 2 Swedes get injured in a shark attack  and after a time they are basically left to die whilst everyone else carries on with having the craic.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on April 21, 2020, 01:41:41 PM
Some of the comments on here remind me of the movie the beach, when the 2 Swedes get injured in a shark attack  and after a time they are basically left to die whilst everyone else carries on with having the craic.

I wonder how life goes in those countries where malaria and hunger kills 100 of thousands every year, this isn't even close and we are shocked at the amount deaths happening.

We can count ourselves very lucky in a way.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

five points

Quote from: J70 on April 21, 2020, 01:41:06 PM
You don't think avoiding the horrific scenes in Italy counts as a relative success?

There was no manual to refer to with this virus except to avoid the mistakes of those who had the misfortune to experience an outbreak before you did. Italy waited too long to shut down, and suffered the consequences. The only responsible action in the light of the available evidence was to shut things down to avoid spread. What would Boris Johnson do if he could have early March back for the UK?

The Italian strategy of filling their hospitals with people who were only mildly symptomatic was a crazy one in fairness. If in normal times we sent every kid with measles into hospital, there would be carnage.

GetOverTheBar

Great film.

To the point, there is no right or wrong here with regards to this virus. We are all learning, all the time. What works for one, won't work for the other and we all have individual things going on in the real world which influences the views we might bring. I have actually quite liked this thread at times, at others its descended into nonsense but it's been a great tool to discuss IMO. We should maybe just lay off the aggression at times.

five points

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 21, 2020, 01:47:17 PM

Great film.

To the point, there is no right or wrong here with regards to this virus. We are all learning, all the time. What works for one, won't work for the other and we all have individual things going on in the real world which influences the views we might bring. I have actually quite liked this thread at times, at others its descended into nonsense but it's been a great tool to discuss IMO. We should maybe just lay off the aggression at times.

Agreed. Well done all.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on April 21, 2020, 01:46:42 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 21, 2020, 01:41:06 PM

The Italian strategy of filling their hospitals with people who were only mildly symptomatic was a crazy one in fairness. If in normal times we sent every kid with measles into hospital, there would be carnage.

Its more complex than that - often in Italy you'll have 3 generations under one roof - so leaving them at home would just infect more elderly.

Of course, isolated wards would be necessary for keeping those symptomatic.
i usse an speelchekor

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 01:46:02 PM

I wonder how life goes in those countries where malaria and hunger kills 100 of thousands every year, this isn't even close and we are shocked at the amount deaths happening.

We can count ourselves lucky _compared to the third world_ "in a way."

Yes, I'd like to f**king think we can!

Smurfy123

Gallsman you redesign offices so that they are not coming together
Shops are designed to bring people together and measures were put in place as best they can to help.
Moving tables desks computers around is really not that hard to do.
Schools need to reopen and if some children live with grandparents them they stuff off.
The economy is falling apart in front of us and we will be paying for this for a very long time
It is going to get to a stage where things will close for good
Pubs
Restaurants
Fitness studios
Retail shops

And with that the knock-on affect is Huge.
The amount of unemployment after this will be catastrophic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2020, 01:54:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 21, 2020, 01:46:02 PM

We can count ourselves lucky _compared to the third world_ "in a way."

Yes, I'd like to f**king think we can!
In a way that, you haven't been brought up in a third world country so we are very lucky.