China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

The Time skewering Boris and the Tories about their response... will be interesting to see how they try to spin this!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: screenexile on April 18, 2020, 11:55:44 PM
The Time skewering Boris and the Tories about their response... will be interesting to see how they try to spin this!!

Boris probably won't reappear for a month hoping it'll all blow over by then.

Rossfan

British media finally waking up oŕ Murdoch wants Bozo out?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 17, 2020, 02:51:21 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 17, 2020, 12:59:16 PM
"The bigger problem is - there is no viable alternative. They either let the crop rot and with a lack of food on the shelves people get very antsy very quickly or they bring in labour."

Or they pay a decent living wage for Dublin that wouldn't even put a significant dent in their massive profits but hey ho no , they're a fg company in bed with senior fg figures . Why are people afraid of the genuine truth , keelings epitomise all that's wrong with capitalism/globalism . I really thought this horrible pandemic would open people's eyes

All nice till you put a number or two at it.

Keelings had supposedly sales of ~€300m in 2016 while employing ~2,000 people.

Say they've a 5% profit margin (which is likely quite optimistic), that means €15m.

If each person works 1800 hours a year, that is 3.6m man-hours a year.

So that works out at a €4/hr rate rise for everyone - and in doing so wiping out all profits leaving the company deeply vulnerable to any loss of crop due to bad weather or for investment in equipment, facilities etc.

;) ;)

Try this , sold to Pallas under "unusual " circumstances, then work out Sysco. Then put Coveney, Leo , goodman , Patrick Coveney (the other goys brother) then bring Caroline keeling appointed by fg to Bord bia , then horse racing Ireland , then Larry goodman company & Sysco and then Coveney s wife is Larry Goodmans niece . Put it all together.

Alls well In the land of saints and scholars . 

Fg scum , , big business only , shitting on the ordinary man since o Duffy went seig heil. Blueshirt west Brit bastas.

Now glad I got that off my chest , keelings only reason for not recruiting local labour is financial. No holiday pay , €7ph is what they come out with after meals and accommodation. Slave labour sin e .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

All so Paddy can have chape stuff on the shelf ......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Health Minister Simon Harris has signalled schools could be reopened one day a week before the end of term this summer but has ruled out mass gatherings for the foreseeable future, throwing into doubt the prospect of this year's All-Ireland championships and annual concerts and festivals.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-ireland-planning-underway-to-reopen-schools-as-harris-raises-once-a-week-scenario-39138834.html

trailer

Quote from: Rudi on April 18, 2020, 06:33:07 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 18, 2020, 01:54:06 PM
Quote from: Rudi on April 17, 2020, 11:26:18 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 17, 2020, 11:31:38 AM
Quote from: Rudi on April 17, 2020, 09:24:29 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 17, 2020, 09:21:19 AM
Keelings chartering a flight from Bulgaria for fruit pickers. . . is there any truth to that??

That looks true, shocking stuff. No more Keelings for me.

Whys it shocking?

The locals have neither the appetite or attitude for it.

What the fuckedy moment, do I really have to explain this to our self appointed Covid expert.

Yes, please do explain it to me.

As part of your explanation, please include an expected impact on the price of their produce from anything you propose and a comparison of that to the cost of imported fruit/veg and with rationale for how they will continue to sell into markets.

Thanks.

---------------
I did say in another post:

QuoteThe bigger problem is - there is no viable alternative. They either let the crop rot and with a lack of food on the shelves people get very antsy very quickly or they bring in labour.

Now I agree that there would need to be a strict 14day isolation for each and every one of them after arriving here - especially before being allowed to work in the food chain - and I'll bet that is not happening - due to greed.

To be clear - I'm not a big fan of this happening - it is an obvious risk as a source of further virus carriers. But there is no viable alternative if the locals don't want to do the work for a wage the company can afford price the shopper is willing to pay.

Keelings won't be the only bunch at risk here, what proportion of the Irish food store would be at risk of rotting on the vine if they didn't get it picked? Would it mean bare shelves? Or would it have minor impact?

Why would I explain it from a financial point of view. The country is either under lockdown or it's not. Flying people into the country with no evidence of strict pandemic protocols being adhered too is ill advised. The head of the HSE & our Taoiseach even agree

State of this

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 19, 2020, 12:01:00 AM

Boris probably won't reappear for a month hoping it'll all blow over by then.

In fairness, he was infected with Coronavirus, he's not a super hero either.

bennydorano

Bought the UK Times and read the full article, good read but nothing overly surprising if you assumed it's been handled badly from the start - 99% of posters here fall into that category.

The most interesting point I read was that only a decade or so ago the UK was admired for it's Pandemic plans and preparedness and Singapore's Pandemic plan was copied from the UK! Unsurprisingly austerity and Brexit planning are pinpointed as the main reasons for it's current state as well as more recent bouts of hubris and good old fashioned incompetence.

trailer

Quote from: larryin89 on April 19, 2020, 12:20:48 AM
"The bigger problem is - there is no viable alternative. They either let the crop rot and with a lack of food on the shelves people get very antsy very quickly or they bring in labour."

Or they pay a decent living wage for Dublin that wouldn't even put a significant dent in their massive profits but hey ho no , they're a fg company in bed with senior fg figures . Why are people afraid of the genuine truth , keelings epitomise all that's wrong with capitalism/globalism . I really thought this horrible pandemic would open people's eyes

Say they've a 5% profit margin (which is likely quite optimistic), that means €15m.

So that works out at a €4/hr rate rise for everyone - and in doing so wiping out all profits leaving the company deeply vulnerable to any loss of crop due to bad weather or for investment in equipment, facilities etc.

;) ;)

Try this , sold to Pallas under "unusual " circumstances, then work out Sysco. Then put Coveney, Leo , goodman , Patrick Coveney (the other goys brother) then bring Caroline keeling appointed by fg to Bord bia , then horse racing Ireland , then Larry goodman company & Sysco and then Coveney s wife is Larry Goodmans niece . Put it all together.

Fg scum , , big business only , shitting on the ordinary man since o Duffy went seig heil. Blueshirt west Brit bastas.

Now glad I got that off my chest , keelings only reason for not recruiting local labour is financial. No holiday pay , €7ph is what they come out with after meals and accommodation. Slave labour sin e .

If you don't have business you don't have jobs. Hate business people all you want but they generate huge amount of jobs, directly and indirectly as well as tax. Can't blame all the ills of society on them.

ardtole

There is a minimum wage in place for a very good reason, Keelings shouldn't be exempt from having to meet these requirements like any other business in the country.

If because their type of work is heavily labour intensive, which is the case, it doesn't give them the right to ignore employment laws in this country, or find sneaky underhand ways of fiddling the system to employ these workers at low pay rates.

I'm working in Dublin full time and Keelings are advertising on Today fm every day of the week and I presume other media outlets too. Not once have I heard of them advertising for staff regarding picking fruit.

I dont buy the "Irish are too lazy" to work these jobs either, our young people who went to Australia all had to spend time picking fruit, people are on their arses in Dublin trying to pay rent etc. If Keelings put the same effort into recruiting in Ireland as they do in Bulgaria they would get the staff.

There are dozens of recruitment agencies in Dublin that would source these workers no problem. The fact of the matter is they want to pay bottom dollar wages, hide behind providing accommodation and meals to bulk the wages up, that's what galls me.

If they can provide accommodation for up to 200 workers they could easily provide buses, from Naas, Bray,  Navan Dunshaughlin etc instead, if they are struggling for numbers.

The construction industry is the same, concrete subbies bring in 10 or 15 Romanian lads at a time and if they get 2 or 3 lads out of that, that know what they are doing they are happy enough. There are lads with fake safe passes, not a word of english, no on site experience that are a danger to themselves and others but a blind eye is turned because they are cheap.

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of very good Romanian steel fixers and chippies too but its scandalous the way they are treated. The Irish lads to a large degree are sidelined already.

trailer

Quote from: ardtole on April 19, 2020, 12:13:38 PM
There is a minimum wage in place for a very good reason, Keelings shouldn't be exempt from having to meet these requirements like any other business in the country.

If because their type of work is heavily labour intensive, which is the case, it doesn't give them the right to ignore employment laws in this country, or find sneaky underhand ways of fiddling the system to employ these workers at low pay rates.

I'm working in Dublin full time and Keelings are advertising on Today fm every day of the week and I presume other media outlets too. Not once have I heard of them advertising for staff regarding picking fruit.

I dont buy the "Irish are too lazy" to work these jobs either, our young people who went to Australia all had to spend time picking fruit, people are on their arses in Dublin trying to pay rent etc. If Keelings put the same effort into recruiting in Ireland as they do in Bulgaria they would get the staff.

There are dozens of recruitment agencies in Dublin that would source these workers no problem. The fact of the matter is they want to pay bottom dollar wages, hide behind providing accommodation and meals to bulk the wages up, that's what galls me.

If they can provide accommodation for up to 200 workers they could easily provide buses, from Naas, Bray,  Navan Dunshaughlin etc instead, if they are struggling for numbers.

The construction industry is the same, concrete subbies bring in 10 or 15 Romanian lads at a time and if they get 2 or 3 lads out of that, that know what they are doing they are happy enough. There are lads with fake safe passes, not a word of english, no on site experience that are a danger to themselves and others but a blind eye is turned because they are cheap.

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of very good Romanian steel fixers and chippies too but its scandalous the way they are treated. The Irish lads to a large degree are sidelined already.

If you have evidence to back this up you should notify the proper authorities otherwise you're complicit by not reporting it.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: larryin89 on April 19, 2020, 12:20:48 AMNow glad I got that off my chest , keelings only reason for not recruiting local labour is financial. No holiday pay , €7ph is what they come out with after meals and accommodation. Slave labour sin e .

If that is the case - and I have no knowledge to judge either way - then labour laws need looked at.

Not that I've any idea what a possible solution would look like yet.
i usse an speelchekor

ardtole

Quote from: trailer on April 19, 2020, 01:07:13 PM
Quote from: ardtole on April 19, 2020, 12:13:38 PM

If you have evidence to back this up you should notify the proper authorities otherwise you're complicit by not reporting it.

Believe it or not, cases have been reported directly to the HSA, and no action taken. How can lads get banksman tickets, teleporter tickets etc when you have to sit a test. A lot of lads getting them would have little or no english. Every safety officer in Dublin knows what is going on when they induct these lads. A blind eye is turned, anyway I'm going off topic, this would need it's own thread.

Downtothewire

Quote from: larryin89 on April 19, 2020, 12:20:48 AM

;) ;)

When did you first realise this