China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 02:25:51 PM
Personally I'd ask my mum or dad or the in-laws to move in if one of them were on their own.

If your gonna do that, you have to be very sure that your contact points with others outside that family isolation bubble are as few and low risk as possible!

i usse an speelchekor

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 14, 2020, 02:33:15 PM
If your gonna do that, you have to be very sure that your contact points with others outside that family isolation bubble are as few and low risk as possible!

Pretty much impossible IMHO unless for example you can somehow delegate the shopping to an outsider.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 02:25:51 PM
Personally I'd ask my mum or dad or the in-laws to move in if one of them were on their own.

The shop is the most dangerous place I'm at! I'd like to think I'm safe, meet no one else
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

HiMucker

Quote from: J70 on April 14, 2020, 01:34:10 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on April 14, 2020, 12:23:44 PM
What was death figures for the same period last year?

Can't speak to Britain, but in NYC, the reported deaths from COVID have been five times the normal background rate.

And that is officially acknowledged as likely an undercount.
Jeepers. That is scary.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on April 14, 2020, 02:40:45 PM

Pretty much impossible IMHO unless for example you can somehow delegate the shopping to an outsider.

That's what we do for her parents.

I shop, we wash, she brings them to parents and either goes in masked/gloved or drops at door. Her bro is back home and living with them in isolation.

Pretty much all we can do really.
i usse an speelchekor

HiMucker

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on April 14, 2020, 01:49:59 PM

From 2010 - 2019 the highest weekly deaths in England and Wales for Week 14 of the year was about 12k. The lowest for the same period was 8k. Week 14 of 2020 is 16k.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1250007002165755905/photo/1
Cheers

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on April 14, 2020, 01:49:59 PM

From 2010 - 2019 the highest weekly deaths in England and Wales for Week 14 of the year was about 12k. The lowest for the same period was 8k. Week 14 of 2020 is 16k.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1250007002165755905/photo/1

Very useful actual figures and statistics. Not guesswork.

Taylor

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 14, 2020, 02:30:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 01:40:11 PMas no one thought it would spread like it did.

Are you for real?

Why do you think I was so exasperated in February?

Pardon me for understanding what a f**king exponential curve looks like.

[What I've posted here is extremely mild compared to what I've posted elsewhere.]

Government have f**ked up and their academic advisers just remind you of the saying - "Those who can, do. Those who can't, talk about it." Bunch of clowns living in theoretical dream-worlds without a pragmatic bone in their bodies.

In fairness to you Radio you were the most vocal AND most accurate about this whole scenario from the beginning.......

There were some people who were at best taking the piss out of what you were saying (I can think of two posters right away - am sure others know who they are) and at worst being completely condescending.

I hope you are wrong about everything else you have said........ :-\

J70

Quote from: Taylor on April 14, 2020, 03:24:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 01:40:11 PMas no one thought it would spread like it did.

Are you for real?

[What I've posted here is extremely mild compared to what I've posted elsewhere.]

Government have f**ked up and their academic advisers just remind you of the saying - "Those who can, do. Those who can't, talk about it." Bunch of clowns living in theoretical dream-worlds without a pragmatic bone in their bodies.

In fairness to you Radio you were the most vocal AND most accurate about this whole scenario from the beginning.......

There were some people who were at best taking the piss out of what you were saying (I can think of two posters right away - am sure others know who they are) and at worst being completely condescending.

Yep. Impressive stuff.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

HiMucker

Quote from: J70 on April 14, 2020, 03:31:25 PM
Quote from: Taylor on April 14, 2020, 03:24:13 PM

Are you for real?

Yep. Impressive stuff.
+2 It certainly helped myself on getting better informed on the topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on April 14, 2020, 03:45:03 PM

Can't help but notice the Swedes missing from this with their interesting approach.

HiMucker

Quote from: armaghniac on April 14, 2020, 03:45:03 PM

Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland jump out at me there as they all seem to be getting it very bad at the minute regarding daily deaths. Though maybe they are deemed to be at more advanced stages in their respective epidemics. Likewise Ireland I would have thought would be higher, but again maybe they are not at as an advanced stage yet. I'm merely basing this view on the current deaths of each.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 14, 2020, 01:40:11 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 14, 2020, 01:20:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2020, 09:47:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2020, 09:39:10 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2020, 09:26:52 PM
There were stories doing the rounds in Italy and Spain that there were old peoples homes where the staff just legged it and the army had to come in. How true that is I don't know but you could well believe it

There is some truth to that. But staff in these places had little or no PPE, a lot of them came down with the virus and had to isolate, so things became increasingly impossible for those left. In most cases they didn't just leg it, but had been calling for help for many days. These types of homes are a real point of vulnerability and places that have kept the deaths down have had a plan for such places.

How could you plan for this? I never heard one expert on here discuss it other that the SARS, Bird flu and other virus attacks which were not global to this extent.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to change mindsets. Everyone,  every country it seems was caught out

There were plenty of people *on this thread* talking about early stage mitigation procedures which could and should have been have been put in place to minimise the effect of this on people.  Personally, I feel that the decisions taken by businesses and the GAA in the north were influenced by people of this ilk in the wider community and very definitely helped things by their early actions.

Experts *on this thread* were telling those people to shut up because they didn't like what they were hearing and "there's nothing we can do about it so we may as well just let it play out".

Those "experts" include you.   ::)

Take your hard on for me elsewhere, I'm not into that ;)

I'm talking about long before that. not a week or two into this, as no one thought it would spread like it did.

I put a thread up on experts, to gauge who would actually know what they were talking about rather than trailing things of Wiki or Google, letting things play out I'm nearly sure I said for Brexit after it was voted, its going to be a lot worse after this, but I'd that's the least of the economies worries.

But sure just keep rowing in behind my posts every so often ::)

You keep up spouting the nonsense, I'll keep rowing in.

As for the bit in bold.

L O L

There are none so blind....

armaghniac

Quote from: HiMucker on April 14, 2020, 03:51:13 PM
Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland jump out at me there as they all seem to be getting it very bad at the minute regarding daily deaths. Though maybe they are deemed to be at more advanced stages in their respective epidemics. Likewise Ireland I would have thought would be higher, but again maybe they are not at as an advanced stage yet. I'm merely basing this view on the current deaths of each.

Belgium now has more recorded deaths per capita than Italy. 
Switzerland has done a lot of testing and I suspect this is one important facto, but things like the number of beds etc might also be weighed in.
Ireland is now doing more testing, which should be encouraging.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B