China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Mbappe being tested. They think he will be negative though.

My wife was talking to a friend today who was supposed to be at work but wasn't. She wasn't at work because a boy in their office had been off and when asked how was his time off he nonchalantly replied he had been in northern Italy. He didn't even bat an eyelid. They shut the office and got a deep clean setup.

This is how this shit will spread >:(

I was reading a twitter thread on South Korea. A 61 year old woman was ordered to self quarantine and didn't then ended up infecting six other people. That would presumably have infected others too. Interestingly a very high percentage of the affected in South Korea were from one specific church.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 10, 2020, 07:30:49 PM
I was reading a twitter thread on South Korea. A 61 year old woman was ordered to self quarantine and didn't then ended up infecting six other people. That would presumably have infected others too. Interestingly a very high percentage of the affected in South Korea were from one specific church.

The church in Korea was encouraging people to come in while sick.
In Singapore a number of cases relate to one dinner function, where someone decided to go although not feeling the best, "sure it would be pity to miss it".

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on March 10, 2020, 07:19:24 PM
There was someone on here asking about New York on Paddy's day.  I'd think twice about traveling.  A number of universities here have closed over the past couple of days.  And the National Guard is trying to create a containment zone in Rochelle (The Bronx) which is apparently the epicenter of NYC cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/world/coronavirus-news.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#link-7bab904a

I presume if you stay in a Trump hotel there will be no problem.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

We've been asked to work from home for the next two weeks. I'm also at graduate school and all in-person lectures and exams are off. (Which is a blessing in disguise in my case because I was due to take an exam tonight that I'm not ready for!) There's also been the first reported death in Santa Clara County. We're still sending the wee one to daycare though (in the car rather than the bus as usual), but we'll keep an eye on that situation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AFM on March 10, 2020, 07:00:40 PM
Word of warning against replying to miltown, or you will be called all sorts, trying to paint himself like he cares now, its miltown first f**k the rest.

Jesus lad you're so angry! Honestly,  get help :-*
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AFM on March 10, 2020, 05:29:51 PM
Quote from: APM on March 10, 2020, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 10, 2020, 05:16:17 PM
The 'it's no worse than flu' brigade are either thick as champ or being wilfully awkward.

The whole point here is that the various health services have already factored in the numbers of flu, cancer, heart attack, etc etc figures into their calculations?

And that's how they've become the size they are.

Yes, this disease might not have a huge mortality rate (in comparison) but it going to be widespread and it simply hasn't been budgeted for (AT ALL).

Therefore it completely fcuks all calculations for number of hospitals/beds/nurses out the window and collapses already severely strained services.

Ergo, more people die.

Or they are absolute pricks or sociopaths.  There is already evidence of people willfully spreading the disease in other parts of the world and people refusing to self-isolate.  That is criminal behaviour and no different to someone who gives someone aids by not telling them they have HIV.

Or people like getoverthebar, self centred individuals who won't be told by anyone as they know more than the expert's, with attitudes like his and others prevalent on this thread folk have no chance. Even now he still banging on it's no worse than the flu, a major shift from his original quote that it was just the flu. I am sure same boy wouldn't sell isolate, he wouldn't accept he had to. ::)

Again showing yourself up to look rather mental. Keep going.

Anyway, in news more encouraging about a virus around for many, many years. Causing the deaths of many, many people this is rather promising news I'm sure you will agree?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51804454

Saying that, you sound very much like someone who won't give a fiddlers shite as it's unlikely to affect you in any way.

BennyCake

My wife was talking to a friend today who was supposed to be at work but wasn't. She wasn't at work because a boy in their office had been off and when asked how was his time off he nonchalantly replied he had been in northern Italy. He didn't even bat an eyelid. They shut the office and got a deep clean setup.

People should have been taken off planes from Italy and been forced into quarantine. Lots of people will self isolate, but some won't. This virus is a threat to the whole island. We can't take any chances that some bollix will spread it around the country!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 10, 2020, 04:55:58 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 10, 2020, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 10, 2020, 02:41:21 PM
Nearly as well as

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 10:27:51 AM

It's the flu, not Leprosy. More hysteria.

Point stands.

Symptoms are flu like, no matter if you like it or not. And the prevention is also that of avoiding the flu....No matter how hard you try to make this into the worst thing to ever happen in the world and it's going to infect and kill every single person standing on the planet....it's not. You've been harping on for a week now and the prevention is still the same....wash the hands, don't get coughed on.....etc.

I was reading this thread after returning from Europe at the weekend and see you mentioned me two or three times. It's bordering on stalking at this stage but I'm more than happy to keep you on a hook and it's a round about compliment that you have taken to me.

Forgive me, but isn't the latest from China that they have now curbed the worst of it?

How is the worldwide recovery rate now....last I checked it was rising just as quick as the infections. That alone should really indicate that whilst this is not ideal. It is certainly not the end of us.

Spoken like someone who doesn't give a f*** about the elderly.

Not in the slightest. My issue is with this man who seems to have a rather odd obsession with me because I don't really want to take to an internet message board expressing life as we know it is over. Please disregard any general point directed at him because I've just taken to prodding him now.

I'm willing to reply in a normal manner with anyone else about this - my point is that I grew up in Ulster during the troubles, without the whole sob story, unfortunately I've seen things that kind of stick with you. I've had enough of life living in fear and wondering what the next week is going to bring. This Covid 19 may well continue around for months, it may not. I just won't be taking heed to sensationalists like this guy in here.

armaghniac

+10 cases in 26 counties.
But all traceable to existing cases and travel, so not entirely panic-inducing.

I do note that they have done 6 times as many tests in the 26 counties as the wee 6, although the population difference is only 2.5 times.
Testing is the way forward.

I see also the Chinese have offered the Italians 50,000 test kits.

Rois

Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2020, 08:17:41 PM

I do note that they have done 6 times as many tests in the 26 counties as the wee 6, although the population difference is only 2.5 times.

If you could do the calc showing number of nordies as proportion of people getting off Italian flights (vast majority into Dublin) you might be able to rationalise it. The tests are going to be skewed towards people who have been in contact with these returnees.

manfromdelmonte

+10 cases in 26 counties.
But all traceable to existing cases and travel, so not entirely panic-inducing.

Testing is the way forward.

I see also the Chinese have offered the Italians 50,000 test kits.
The Italians will need 20 times that amount

armaghniac

Quote from: Rois on March 10, 2020, 08:24:31 PM

If you could do the calc showing number of nordies as proportion of people getting off Italian flights (vast majority into Dublin) you might be able to rationalise it. The tests are going to be skewed towards people who have been in contact with these returnees.

Do nordies especially visit northern Italy, while freestaters like to sky in St Moritz or Courchevel?

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 10, 2020, 08:42:40 PM
The Italians will need 20 times that amount

No doubt, but perhaps the Chinese need to keep some for themselves.

Itchy

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 10, 2020, 07:59:06 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 10, 2020, 04:55:58 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 10, 2020, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: AFM on March 10, 2020, 02:41:21 PM
Nearly as well as

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 10:27:51 AM

It's the flu, not Leprosy. More hysteria.

Point stands.

Symptoms are flu like, no matter if you like it or not. And the prevention is also that of avoiding the flu....No matter how hard you try to make this into the worst thing to ever happen in the world and it's going to infect and kill every single person standing on the planet....it's not. You've been harping on for a week now and the prevention is still the same....wash the hands, don't get coughed on.....etc.

I was reading this thread after returning from Europe at the weekend and see you mentioned me two or three times. It's bordering on stalking at this stage but I'm more than happy to keep you on a hook and it's a round about compliment that you have taken to me.

Forgive me, but isn't the latest from China that they have now curbed the worst of it?

How is the worldwide recovery rate now....last I checked it was rising just as quick as the infections. That alone should really indicate that whilst this is not ideal. It is certainly not the end of us.

Spoken like someone who doesn't give a f*** about the elderly.

Not in the slightest. My issue is with this man who seems to have a rather odd obsession with me because I don't really want to take to an internet message board expressing life as we know it is over. Please disregard any general point directed at him because I've just taken to prodding him now.

I'm willing to reply in a normal manner with anyone else about this - my point is that I grew up in Ulster during the troubles, without the whole sob story, unfortunately I've seen things that kind of stick with you. I've had enough of life living in fear and wondering what the next week is going to bring. This Covid 19 may well continue around for months, it may not. I just won't be taking heed to sensationalists like this guy in here.

I'm ok with that as long as you dont do reckless things that endanger your family,friends and the country in general.

Itchy

Thats why China will come out of this,that 61 year old would've been dragged off in a police truck in wuhan.

Milltown Row2

A lot of airlines will not recover from this, the environmentalist will be happy on that one. There's a conspiracy right there!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea