Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

bogball88

Heading to Krakow tomorrow. A girl in work is currently in Rome on holidays  :o

johnnycool

Quote from: bogball88 on March 10, 2020, 02:55:02 PM
Heading to Krakow tomorrow. A girl in work is currently in Rome on holidays  :o

She'll not be doing much queuing at the tourist sites.....

APM

Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2020, 02:24:00 PM
Let's not allow things get like Itsly
https://threader.app/thread/1237142891077697538

Just read that - absolutely f**king horrific and essential reading for the glass half full people on this thread!!

They aren't even treating older people or those with compromised immune systems. Think about that.  It sounds like the Italian healthcare system is on the brink of collapse and our systems are on the brink of collapse every year without such a crisis. People should read it right now and then think twice before they decide that going to Cheltenham, Krackow or Rome is worth it.  I'm due a trip to London and I won't be going getting on a plane or through an airport until the risk subsides.  The problem is that Mr Jones up the road might not take the same precautions and with his young fella in the same class as my wee girl at school, it could come into our house anyway. 

I keep hearing people talking the problem down.  I can see the temptation - its easier to get on with life instead of going to that very negative place, where you start to think about not going about day-to-day life in the same way as normal.  There is something in human behaviour that doesn't want to go there and neither does the community at a wider level.  This is a time when the government should be showing leadership and taking unpopular decisions.

We will likely end up there anyway and we would be much better going there right now rather than waiting until we have to implement these onerous measures, later when they will be less effective. 

Seen this lady on Prime Time last night and she hit the nail on the head.
https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1237159133800955905

general_lee

Quote from: AFM on March 10, 2020, 02:07:19 PM
That's what it all boils down too, UK government probably happy if 100,000+ social care patients died, look at the money they would save looking after them.
A lot of Tory voters though. Rock and a hard place.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on March 10, 2020, 02:39:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: Art Mc Crory's Sofa on March 08, 2020, 10:05:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 10:01:32 PM
Quote from: Art Mc Crory's Sofa on March 08, 2020, 09:59:35 PM
I know it wouldn't achieve anything but I'd like to see everyone who said "it's just the flu" bull whipped.

Bulls shouldn't be whipped, that's animal cruelty  ;)

Yeah I'm not advocating bulls being whipped just people who don't give a f**k about a virus that's killing thousands of people.

Im just asking. I haven't said this isn't real. The rates in Italy are frightening but also the facts show that in England alone 6500 people died last year of just flu. No other reason. When, and it will escalate, it's not in our control. I'll deal with it when it happens. You or I can only control what we can. Closing airports and countries won't happen

How many countries have closed all their airports now?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: APM on March 10, 2020, 03:55:17 PM
We will likely end up there anyway and we would be much better going there right now rather than waiting until we have to implement these onerous measures, later when they will be less effective. 

There are measures between now and lockdown. e.g. Singapore https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/coronavirus-who-praises-singapores-containment-of-covid-19-outbreak
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: AFM on March 10, 2020, 02:41:21 PM
Nearly as well as

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 02, 2020, 10:27:51 AM

It's the flu, not Leprosy. More hysteria.

Point stands.

Symptoms are flu like, no matter if you like it or not. And the prevention is also that of avoiding the flu....No matter how hard you try to make this into the worst thing to ever happen in the world and it's going to infect and kill every single person standing on the planet....it's not. You've been harping on for a week now and the prevention is still the same....wash the hands, don't get coughed on.....etc.

I was reading this thread after returning from Europe at the weekend and see you mentioned me two or three times. It's bordering on stalking at this stage but I'm more than happy to keep you on a hook and it's a round about compliment that you have taken to me.

Forgive me, but isn't the latest from China that they have now curbed the worst of it?

How is the worldwide recovery rate now....last I checked it was rising just as quick as the infections. That alone should really indicate that whilst this is not ideal. It is certainly not the end of us.

imtommygunn

NI has 100 ICU beds. That's not good :(

Solo_run

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 10, 2020, 04:23:19 PM
Nearly as well as

Point stands.

Symptoms are flu like, no matter if you like it or not. And the prevention is also that of avoiding the flu....No matter how hard you try to make this into the worst thing to ever happen in the world and it's going to infect and kill every single person standing on the planet....it's not. You've been harping on for a week now and the prevention is still the same....wash the hands, don't get coughed on.....etc.

I was reading this thread after returning from Europe at the weekend and see you mentioned me two or three times. It's bordering on stalking at this stage but I'm more than happy to keep you on a hook and it's a round about compliment that you have taken to me.

Forgive me, but isn't the latest from China that they have now curbed the worst of it?

How is the worldwide recovery rate now....last I checked it was rising just as quick as the infections. That alone should really indicate that whilst this is not ideal. It is certainly not the end of us.

AFM is concerned about the virus and I do not blame him in the slightest. Some of us have elderly and new born family members we want to protect.

If the Coronavirus threat isn't as bad as the flu then why is the Italian healthcare system at breaking point? Why has Italy quarantined 60+ million people and China doing the same?

You are right though - other than self-isolate and washing hands thoroughly can we reduce the risk of getting the virus. However, such an effort require public cooperation.

Eamonnca1

Nearly as well as

Point stands.

Spoken like someone who doesn't give a f*** about the elderly.

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2020, 04:18:31 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 10, 2020, 02:39:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: Art Mc Crory's Sofa on March 08, 2020, 10:05:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 08, 2020, 10:01:32 PM
Quote from: Art Mc Crory's Sofa on March 08, 2020, 09:59:35 PM
I know it wouldn't achieve anything but I'd like to see everyone who said "it's just the flu" bull whipped.

Bulls shouldn't be whipped, that's animal cruelty  ;)

Yeah I'm not advocating bulls being whipped just people who don't give a f**k about a virus that's killing thousands of people.

Im just asking. I haven't said this isn't real. The rates in Italy are frightening but also the facts show that in England alone 6500 people died last year of just flu. No other reason. When, and it will escalate, it's not in our control. I'll deal with it when it happens. You or I can only control what we can. Closing airports and countries won't happen

How many countries have closed all their airports now?

Lol.  Watch you don't fall off that pinhead.

seafoid

Nearly as well as

Point stands.

https://www.ft.com/content/ed3fb63e-41ce-11ea-bdb5-169ba7be433d

"Covid-19 is transmitted more readily between humans than Sars, though it is less virulent. Computer modelling suggests that each new case infected 2.5 other people on average in the early stages of the epidemic, though Chinese authorities have greatly reduced this "reproduction number" through drastic action to isolate cases and trace their contacts.

The virus has caused severe respiratory disease in about 20 per cent of patients and killed more than 3 per cent of confirmed cases. Sars killed 10 per cent of infected individuals. Older people, whose immune defences have declined with age, and those with underlying health conditions are much more vulnerable than the young."

https://medium.com/@edwardnirenberg/sars-cov-2-and-the-lessons-we-have-to-learn-from-it-e2017fd5d3c

"ARDS is a condition in which there is widespread pulmonary inflammation culminating in pulmonary edema owing to the potent activation of the innate immune system that results in respiratory failure."

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Solo_run on March 10, 2020, 04:48:02 PM

AFM is concerned about the virus and I do not blame him in the slightest. Some of us have elderly and new born family members we want to protect.

If the Coronavirus threat isn't as bad as the flu then why is the Italian healthcare system at breaking point? Why has Italy quarantined 60+ million people and China doing the same?

You are right though - other than self-isolate and washing hands thoroughly can we reduce the risk of getting the virus. However, such an effort require public cooperation.

I've been making this point all week. Turn on the telly and watch any of the footage from Italian hospitals. When did the flu ever cause these hospitals to reach breaking point like this. It is a lazy argument to compare this to normal flu. People quoting flu death numbers are comparing the numbers over an entire year or number of years. Covid-19 has only been about for a matter of months. Let this thing run for year with people going about their regular business and then see how the number stack up then. It would be truly frightening. The authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't. It requires people on the ground to be sensible about hygiene if they are out and about but a lot of people seem to get the tinfoil hat on and think of this as some greater conspiracy or that they know better than the advice given. Once you are depending on the public you are fecked!!

AFM

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 10, 2020, 04:55:58 PM
Nearly as well as

Point stands.

Spoken like someone who doesn't give a f*** about the elderly.

Hes not alone on this thread, f**k you I'm alright.