China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Into week six here, I take it there will be another 3 weeks added to this.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2020, 09:25:21 AM
Into week six here, I take it there will be another 3 weeks added to this.

Boris has basically said as much there now alright.

imtommygunn

Is there ever going to be a proper tracing system in place though RadioGAAGAA? Testing the tories will just spin lies on in terms of the UK but I wasn't even sure they had a plan. I am not sure about the rest of Ireland on that front mind.

There are some very interesting projects going on from a data perspective on the tracing but they will only count if everyone takes part which isn't feasible as I doubt everyone wants google knowing their exact whereabouts all the time.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 27, 2020, 09:28:39 AM
Is there ever going to be a proper tracing system in place though RadioGAAGAA? Testing the tories will just spin lies on in terms of the UK but I wasn't even sure they had a plan. I am not sure about the rest of Ireland on that front mind.

There are some very interesting projects going on from a data perspective on the tracing but they will only count if everyone takes part which isn't feasible as I doubt everyone wants google knowing their exact whereabouts all the time.

Costs effort, money and time. Hard to see it being implemented - likely be more of the same and hope the current measures get the UK to where it needs to be.

HiMucker

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2020, 08:56:29 AM
Lockdown would only have been a solution had extensive testing and contact testing been carried out in junction with the lockdown. That hasn't happened. Making people stay at home has perhaps slowed the spread, but as a solution it's failed. People have seen the response from the Governments and other "medical advisers" for what it is. A brute force way of covering up their own incompetence. So lets get these draconian restrictions lifted, implement some sensible social distancing measures and get back to work.
Perhaps? Ah c'mon you cant be serious trailer. Look I think there will be relaxing of some measures in the weeks ahead. Meeting up with close friends and family allowed. Keeping to your bubble as they are referring to it in New Zealand. Bars and restaurants opening up to the public with even limited numbers and such is still a fair bit off IMO. There will be social distancing measures in place for at least the rest of the year. I think people in general will be glad to get back some freedoms, like meeting up with friends and family, whilst still taking precautions, visiting, beaches, parks, even holiday homes, and be content enough with that until this virus is really beaten down. All manufacturing should be back, if the demand is there, it really wasn't suppose to stop in the first place, if the employers could introduce effective counter measures, like extra shifts, reducing numbers in the premises at any given time, wiping down surfaces, extra cleaning etc etc. Thats what we done here and didn't close at all. I do agree with you that government was poor on this front. The message was vague and did cause confusion, pitting employees against employers. Some people genuinely thought it would be over in a few weeks, and couldnt understand why they couldn't just get furlough, whilst not understanding even the immediate problem that would cause for a lot of companies in the short term. Think its sinking in with most people, that its not furlough companies are trying to avoid, its redundancies.

imtommygunn

Yeah I can't ever see the tracing being implemented(or at least implemented well) here.

They need a plan to starting to get back to "new normal" but with 800+ deaths a day in the UK anyway it would be a good bit too soon and I still don't think anywhere near enough understanding of contagiousness.

armaghniac

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 27, 2020, 09:32:02 AM

Costs effort, money and time. Hard to see it being implemented - likely be more of the same and hope the current measures get the UK to where it needs to be.

The money is no excuse, proper tracing would allow more of the economy to open which would repay the cost 10 times over. The time has been wasted, they just have to get stuck in at this stage.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: armaghniac on April 27, 2020, 09:37:15 AM

The money is no excuse, proper tracing would allow more of the economy to open which would repay the cost 10 times over. The time has been wasted, they just have to get stuck in at this stage.

I'm in agreement with you, but I think in reality - considering the Conservative Party is/was leaning towards the herd immunity thing. I don't think they'll make a shift to forensic tracing.

Rois

For anyone particularly interested, here's the EU guidelines on use of location data and contact tracing tools. I guess the question is whether you trust the governments and their respective bodies. 

https://edpb.europa.eu/sites/edpb/files/files/file1/edpb_guidelines_20200420_contact_tracing_covid_with_annex_en.pdf

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 27, 2020, 09:28:39 AMI doubt everyone wants google knowing their exact whereabouts all the time.

Google already knows their exact whereabouts all the time - they just don't realise it.

See google maps with the traffic info - where do you think that info comes from? They see a rake of phones on the road at that point not moving = traffic jam.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: armaghniac on April 27, 2020, 09:37:15 AM

Ach, it'd repay 100,000 times over if not more.

They took the penny pinching route at the start and are now paying for it a thousandfold.

Lessons learned as always.
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 27, 2020, 10:27:09 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 27, 2020, 09:28:39 AMI doubt everyone wants google knowing their exact whereabouts all the time.

Google already knows their exact whereabouts all the time - they just don't realise it.

See google maps with the traffic info - where do you think that info comes from? They see a rake of phones on the road at that point not moving = traffic jam.
Only if location is switched on, surely
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LeoMc

Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2020, 10:50:22 AM

Even with location switched off your phone is pinging the masts so they will still likely glean some approximate info.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: LeoMc on April 27, 2020, 11:28:26 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2020, 10:50:22 AM

Even with location switched off your phone is pinging the masts so they will still likely glean some approximate info.

Approximate to within a few 10s of metres quite easily in any kinda built up area (assuming signal is not blocked by buildings).

4g masts are only good for a couple of km in range, so you have loads of them to triangulate between. Your phone is constantly pining the network for any updates on emails/texts/whatsapps etc. You time the difference in arrival times of any given ping between the various masts and you've a great means to calc relative distance from each mast - from that determining location is just a bit of simple number crunching.
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

My understanding is that it'll use low level bluetooth. Other technical minds can maybe explain. Working off 4g masts would pick up neighbours who you could be close too but not in direct contact. Semi detached houses, terraced houses etc.

It'll be very interesting to see how all this effects our civil liberties. Is this the new normal we want? The issues around privacy are huge.

The population are actually welcoming huge restrictions on our everyday lives. Huge intrusion. Being told what we can do and when we can do it. Some of the population even think they are part of the East German Stasi reporting their neighbours. There's a huge study here that would be interesting to read.