US Masters 2011

Started by Groucho, March 28, 2011, 07:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 10, 2011, 12:10:05 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on April 05, 2011, 12:40:50 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 05, 2011, 12:34:30 PM
Quote from: stephenite on April 05, 2011, 12:25:24 PM
Not a gambler either, however last night I dreamt that McIlroy won, defeating Bubba Watson on the last. How much of their annual income would a seasoned gambler put on the young fella from Holywood? I'm tempted to stick a couple a hundred

There will be a few people in Holywood Golf Club that will be substantially better off if McIlroy wins. They formed a syndicate when Rory was in his early teens and bet that he would win a major.

Cant see it myself yet. His putting just isnt good enough, and the greens at Augusta will punish any shortcomings.
I don't think he has the mental fortitude yet to win a major (unless he sneaks it by posting a great last round and the guys in front of him collapse).
He has proven time and again that he really really struggles from the front.
egg on face or superbly prescient?  Looks like the former at this stage tbh!!  If he plays anything like he has over the last 3 days it'll be easy, but he really has had huge problems every time he has had a lead in a tournament. It's good for him that mickelson, tiger etc are not his immediate chasers.  He'll probably need a 70 to guarantee the win, although it may not take that much.

I still wouldn't back him at evens, but I wouldn't lay him either.

Ps: did you back him in the end Stephenite?
Tis a good point, No-one has been exerting pressure on him so he's been playing his own game without having to worry about chasers. i reckon he'll bring it home tomorrow. He'll be worth a few quid if he wins so he'll be able to pay for Windsor Park to be done up.

Orangemac

Don't think he is thekind of fella to worry about others. More worried about his own game.

Had buterflies all day thinking about it. Had a few bottles too many in the house tonight and maded a bit to much noise when  he sank tat putt on 17.

Agree a 70 should be enough tomorrow.

The fella is a class act and it is interesting the way that the Americans have warmed to him in a way they didn't with other Europeans such as Montgomerie. Even giving his ball to a young fella in the crowd as went into the clubhouse. Credit to his parents.

Also intersting to see Tiger having to delay hi sho as McIrloy birdied 17 as a roar went up from the crowd.

Can't wait for tomoorow night.

balladmaker

McIlroy won't get a better chance of landing a major given the position he has got himself into now.  Would be some achievement for a 21 year old to win not just a major, but the Masters!  If ever a competition can throw up surprises and edge of the seat entertainment, it's the last day of the Masters and anything can and most likely will happen.

Has anyone ever heard the details of the bet which Rory McIlroy's father has on Rory to win a Major by the time he is 25?  The bet, which is apparently sizeable, was placed when McIlroy was still an amateur.

Minder

Quote from: balladmaker on April 10, 2011, 02:20:53 AM
McIlroy won't get a better chance of landing a major given the position he has got himself into now.  Would be some achievement for a 21 year old to win not just a major, but the Masters!  If ever a competition can throw up surprises and edge of the seat entertainment, it's the last day of the Masters and anything can and most likely will happen.

Has anyone ever heard the details of the bet which Rory McIlroy's father has on Rory to win a Major by the time he is 25?  The bet, which is apparently sizeable, was placed when McIlroy was still an amateur.

It's not just his da but a few from his club in Holywood, I was told it had to be the British Open. Open to correction though. If they had any wit they would have been laying him every year.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

unforgiven

No matter what how he finishes, this fella is still a treat to watch and and a pride to the entire country. 

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 07, 2011, 03:42:10 PM
BBC's live commentary had 'British' for McIlroy a few mins back. Now it's 'UK'!

Someone musta gave off.

I've a £5 on him at 33s so so far so good.

He;s giving me a sweat if nothing else. Keep er lit Rory. Keep er lit.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on April 07, 2011, 10:31:01 PM
Sky turning on their 3D coverage now.Anyone got it?

I watched the lasdt 2 nights in 3D when it come on. It's very good. Really gives you a view of how hilly that course is. I never really copped that before. Some of the fairways, 17 especially, are like a rolling sea with 10 foot waves. And the bunkers!

dillinger

I watched the lasdt 2 nights in 3D when it come on. It's very good. Really gives you a view of how hilly that course is. I never really copped that before. Some of the fairways, 17 especially, are like a rolling sea with 10 foot waves. And the bunkers!
[/quote]

Think that's them funny cigs your smoking there. Rory you must do it!

Groucho

It's McIlroy's to lose now......he is well able to birdie all the par 5's and I think a 69/70 will win it for him. 8)
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

orangeman

Quote from: Groucho on April 10, 2011, 11:07:06 AM
It's McIlroy's to lose now......he is well able to birdie all the par 5's and I think a 69/70 will win it for him. 8)

4/5 favourite - get on !!

JimStynes

I can't wait. I really hope he can hold his nerve throughout. 1 bad hole or ball into the water and he could f**k the whole thing up. It will be interesting to see if Tiger can make a charge.

Tony Baloney

Can't see him f**king it up now. He's bound to get a couple of birdies at the long holes leaving someone to shoot a low 60s round to beat him. Based on what we've seen since Thursday I don't think I will happen.

orangeman

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 10, 2011, 07:10:38 PM
Can't see him f**king it up now. He's bound to get a couple of birdies at the long holes leaving someone to shoot a low 60s round to beat him. Based on what we've seen since Thursday I don't think I will happen.

Its not the birdes he should worry about. It making grinding out pars and avoiding calamities at for example Amen Corner.

I am reminded of Harrington quoting Woods when he said that the Majors start on the back 9 on Sunday. If he even has 9 pars up to then he would be in reasonable shape.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea