NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakLeaf

Quote from: inroundthesquare on March 05, 2024, 11:07:28 AMNFL Division 1 top scorers from play per Gaelic Statsman on twitter

I don't get this obsession from pundits/commentators about scores from play. They all count the same.

Shane Mc Guigan leads the top scoring charts in division 1 by a clear 7 points (on 1-30).

Milltown Row2

Are there stats for assists?

Stats most miles covered and stats for heart rate and stats for hand passes and kick passes and blah blah blah

Someone is making a good living off stats I tell ya
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

statto

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 04, 2024, 10:49:49 PMFrom what I see, Dublin seem particularly strong, I know McCarthy starting to slow up but will still start.i think Dublin gonna be around until Fenton, Kilkenny retire. Then most of the heavy lifting will have to be done by O'Callaghan. I know if I was playing against them, that's 3 players that I be earmarking for man to man markers. Jack Barry proved that Fenton influence can be greatly reduced.
Man to man marking of three players is a difficult thing to do as a smart team will exploit the gaps if you are doing that.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: OakLeaf on March 05, 2024, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: inroundthesquare on March 05, 2024, 11:07:28 AMNFL Division 1 top scorers from play per Gaelic Statsman on twitter

I don't get this obsession from pundits/commentators about scores from play. They all count the same.

Shane Mc Guigan leads the top scoring charts in division 1 by a clear 7 points (on 1-30).

So if a player scored 10 points in a game, 9 from play
And another player scored 10 points, 1 from play
You're saying they played equally as well?

greatpoint

How many from play?

JoG2

Quote from: inroundthesquare on March 05, 2024, 01:19:01 PM

Is there a caveat here of having watched this hypothetical game to make your decision? Or that you could tell just from the scoring stats?

trailer

Quote from: JoG2 on March 05, 2024, 01:48:27 PM

Is there a caveat here of having watched this hypothetical game to make your decision? Or that you could tell just from the scoring stats?

What if he wins all the frees himself before kicking them over the bar?

Wildweasel74

He won 10 plus himself and scored a no. Of frees against Monaghan which were low %

JoG2

Quote from: trailer on March 05, 2024, 01:53:38 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 05, 2024, 01:48:27 PM

What if he wins all the frees himself before kicking them over the bar?

See post above

weareros

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on March 05, 2024, 10:38:32 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 05, 2024, 10:14:13 AMBack to the title of the thread....we're as good as relegated, losers of Monaghan v Tyrone likely to join us.
2 of Derry, Dublin, Kerry to make the Final.

We seem to be a total mess in many ways this year and a totally abject 2nd half last Saturday doesn't inspire confidence.
Maybe we have a cunning plan.....

Roscommon reverting to the mean again.

Personally I'd prefer to have teams with realistic chance of winning an All Ireland in Division 1.

Donegal, Armagh and even Cork if they ever get their act together will be great additions to Division 1.

Sure I know ye miss us down there but on the optimistic side, we still have a shout of staying in Division 1 despite the major players who were unable to commit for 2024 (Murtagh, Daly, McKeon), and the injuries to some of our more promising young players (O'Carroll, Heneghan, Doyle). Not to mention good goals disallowed. I think we'll start to hit better form for our final two games with the goal of being ready for Mayo in the Hyde in April. Early days yet. No need to panic. There's never 8 teams in contention for Sam. There may not even be 2.

SouthOfThe Bann

Roscommon have done well in recent years to be division one considering their small time success when it comes to the biggest stage.

I'd argue more than half the counties in Ireland have been in an All Ireland Semi Final since Roscommon last were?

Armagh18

Depends on a lot of other things doesn't it? Are the frees tap overs from 14 yards, is he winning the frees himself and converting them?

Cunny Funt

1. Darragh Canavan (Tyrone) 1-13
1. Con O'Callaghan (Dublin) 2-10
3. David Clifford (Kerry) 1-10
4. Shane McGuigan (Derry) 0-12
4. Sean O'Shea (Kerry) 0-12
6. Fergal Boland (Mayo) 0-11
6. Ciaran Daly (Tyrone) 1-08
8. Ryan O'Donoghue (Mayo) 0-09
8. Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin) 0-09
10. Paudie Clifford (Kerry) 0-08
10. Jack McCarron (Monaghan) 0-08
10. Diarmuid Murtagh (Roscommon) 0-08
10. Enda Smith (Roscommon) 1-05

Stand out player on that list when you consider he wasn't deemed good enough for the Mayo 36 man panel last year.  Speaking of panel McStay has said he will now be trimming his panel as the focus goes towards the championship and trip to New York in early April.  If Derry,Monaghan are seeking wins in those remaining games it will likely be a good time to play Mayo.

seafoid

Quote from: weareros on March 05, 2024, 02:21:03 PM
Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on March 05, 2024, 10:38:32 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 05, 2024, 10:14:13 AMBack to the title of the thread....we're as good as relegated, losers of Monaghan v Tyrone likely to join us.
2 of Derry, Dublin, Kerry to make the Final.

We seem to be a total mess in many ways this year and a totally abject 2nd half last Saturday doesn't inspire confidence.
Maybe we have a cunning plan.....

Roscommon reverting to the mean again.

Personally I'd prefer to have teams with realistic chance of winning an All Ireland in Division 1.

Donegal, Armagh and even Cork if they ever get their act together will be great additions to Division 1.

Sure I know ye miss us down there but on the optimistic side, we still have a shout of staying in Division 1 despite the major players who were unable to commit for 2024 (Murtagh, Daly, McKeon), and the injuries to some of our more promising young players (O'Carroll, Heneghan, Doyle). Not to mention good goals disallowed. I think we'll start to hit better form for our final two games with the goal of being ready for Mayo in the Hyde in April. Early days yet. No need to panic. There's never 8 teams in contention for Sam. There may not even be 2.

In the new system I think division 2 is better place to spend the Spring. Accuracy and confidence levels are lower. Relegated teams can beat most opposition, try out new players, build up confidence. It's like the Tailteann for Division 1 teams. Roscommon and Monaghan have obviously decided not to prioritise the league this year. they will be a better position this time next year.

armaghniac

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on March 04, 2024, 05:14:29 PMPower Rankings as I see it currently.

1. Dublin
2. Kerry
3. Derry
4. Mayo
5. Galway
6. Tyrone
7. Donegal
8. Armagh
9. Roscommon
10. Monaghan
11. Cork
12. Cavan
13. Meath
14. Down
15. Louth
16. Fermanagh
17. Westmeath
18. Kildare
19. Clare
20. Sligo
21. Antrim
22. Laois
23. Offaly
24. Wexford
25. Longford
26. Wicklow
27. Limerick
28. Carlow
29. Leitrim
30. Tipperary
31. London
32. Waterford
33. New York

This is a ranking on Boards.ie based on FIFA ranking calculations. It suggests that Monaghan and Roscommon are for Div 2 and Kildare for Div 3. If you wonder why Armagh are higher than Donegal, this reflects last summer when Armagh were unbeaten and Donegal were beaten. It does not count penalties.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B