Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo AIQF 6/8/2016

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 20, 2016, 08:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: redhandofgod on August 03, 2016, 11:53:55 AM
Thy Kingdom Come - The great Tyrone team of 2003 conceded 4 goals in the drawn ulster final with Down, but sure we know how that year finished ;-)

Are you putting the Current team on a Par with the 2003-08 vintage?

blast05

Mayo have only had 1 game this year where we had to play at 100%, where the season (to an extent) was on the line, where it was sh*t or burst ..... that was the league game v Ros. Defeat would have meant relegation at the hands of the sheep stealers which in turn would have destroyed this team and this year (plus another year or 2 along with it).
We all know what happened that day. That defeat for the Rossies was so comprehensive that it destroyed them as a team and ended their season.
Just saying

Syferus

Quote from: blast05 on August 03, 2016, 12:06:37 PM
Mayo have only had 1 game this year where we had to play at 100%, where the season (to an extent) was on the line, where it was sh*t or burst ..... that was the league game v Ros. Defeat would have meant relegation at the hands of the sheep stealers which in turn would have destroyed this team and this year (plus another year or 2 along with it).
We all know what happened that day. That defeat for the Rossies was so comprehensive that it destroyed them as a team and ended their season.
Just saying

I think in retrospect you can see how shit we were post Donegal and it had feck all to do with Mayo who were far from AI standard themselves that day. We made that limited Galqay side look like AI contenders, so hanging your hat on that performance would be a strange thing to do.

If anything that level of performance against a team that subsequently showed no form at all should be very worrying if that was Mayo going all out. Mayo have been playing poorly throughout the year and it's hard to see them suddenly rolling back that next weekend.

Tyrone, again, are nothing special themselves but they're probably in a better headspace than a Mayo team who have heaped extra pressure on themselves this year.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: Syferus on August 03, 2016, 12:14:12 PM
Quote from: blast05 on August 03, 2016, 12:06:37 PM
Just saying

I think in retrospect you can see how shit we were post Donegal and it had feck all to do with Mayo who were far from AI standard themselves that day. We made that limited Galqay side look like AI contenders, so hanging your hat on that performance would be a strange thing to do.

If anything that level of performance against a team that subsequently showed no form at all should be very worrying if that was Mayo going all out. Mayo have been playing poorly throughout the year and it's hard to see them suddenly rolling back that next weekend.

Tyrone, again, are nothing special themselves but they're probably in a better headspace than a Mayo team who have heaped extra pressure on themselves this year.

Agree with the Rossie here! If you looking to that performance, you are desperate!

redhandofgod

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on August 03, 2016, 12:01:46 PM
Quote from: redhandofgod on August 03, 2016, 11:53:55 AM
Thy Kingdom Come - The great Tyrone team of 2003 conceded 4 goals in the drawn ulster final with Down, but sure we know how that year finished ;-)
Are you putting the Current team on a Par with the 2003-08 vintage?

Not at all, you mentioned the concession of goals as the reason you were writing tyrone defence off. 2003 they conceded 4 goals in the ulster final. Yet against Kerry in the AISF the defence conceded only 6 points!!! Each game runs its own course and a team is measured in how you deal with set backs.

Il Bomber Destro

Kerry and Mayo fans getting a bit ratty at the prospect of Tyrone joining them at the big table and possibly usurping them when it comes to taking Dublin.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on August 03, 2016, 11:34:59 AM
I have been looking for a while at this thread. I cannot understand all the hype around Tyrone. Where is the big result that makes this team so great? Is it that they won the McKenna Cup? Is it that they won Division two of the League? Is it that they took two games to get past Cavan shipping 5 goals in the process? Is it that they just beat a Donegal side in Transition? Is it that Peter Cavanan thinks they are Number 2 (no pun intended  ;D ) in Ireland? The media are looking for a new Darling of Gaelic football. They are looking for a story. Galway looked like they could offer a story, and Tipp story will surely end in the semi-finals

The Cavan drawn game would never have happened to the Donegals, Kerry's or Dublins when they were coming of age. A meticulously put together defense, to which this teams is supposed to be back boned shipping 3 goals.

Anyway for my part - I can see no other winner other than Mayo. The stage is set for them. Take no head of their travels through the back-door. With the games coming around so quick, teams play within themselves. When I look at both squads I see at least double the amount of leaders on the Mayo team as to Tyrone. Believe me Tyrone have their leaders, just not as many.

Who is hyping Tyrone? A few have mentioned a solid defence and a good game plan and other that they are on an upward trajectory based on a couple of AI semi final appearances and an U21 all Ireland. Nobody is claiming we're all Ireland favourites or anything like. This post smacks of a Kerry man who is wriggling uncomfortably in his seat at the thought of another Tyrone emergence, frantically hoping Mayo stop Tyrone in their tracks as you can deal with them. I think you thought after Killarney and last year that you could rest easy for a few years!

If you are basing all your analysis on the goals in the Cavan game then you are making all the same mistakes your lads made in 2003.
That was never a square ball!!

Tubberman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 03, 2016, 02:15:48 PM
Kerry and Mayo fans getting a bit ratty at the prospect of Tyrone joining them at the big table and possibly usurping them when it comes to taking Dublin.

I don't think so - seems to be 90% Tyronies in this thread, very little cockiness in Mayo about this one.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ashman

Really hard to judge until we see the games this weekend .

Tyrone won a below average Ulster championship .  Donegal had to struggle to beat a bad cork team . Mayo lost to Galway .  We will be a lot wiser Saturday evening at 8 pm .  Can't wait .

imtommygunn

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on August 03, 2016, 11:34:59 AM
I have been looking for a while at this thread. I cannot understand all the hype around Tyrone. Where is the big result that makes this team so great? Is it that they won the McKenna Cup? Is it that they won Division two of the League? Is it that they took two games to get past Cavan shipping 5 goals in the process? Is it that they just beat a Donegal side in Transition? Is it that Peter Cavanan thinks they are Number 2 (no pun intended  ;D ) in Ireland? The media are looking for a new Darling of Gaelic football. They are looking for a story. Galway looked like they could offer a story, and Tipp story will surely end in the semi-finals

The Cavan drawn game would never have happened to the Donegals, Kerry's or Dublins when they were coming of age. A meticulously put together defense, to which this teams is supposed to be back boned shipping 3 goals.

Anyway for my part - I can see no other winner other than Mayo. The stage is set for them. Take no head of their travels through the back-door. With the games coming around so quick, teams play within themselves. When I look at both squads I see at least double the amount of leaders on the Mayo team as to Tyrone. Believe me Tyrone have their leaders, just not as many.

There is some truth to what you say I think. Honestly there are not many results in this game that would surprise me. Mayo are a seasoned team and IF they peak and Tyrone aren't what a lot of people believe then Mayo could hammer them. On the flip side if Tyrone are as good as some think and Mayo are poor like their last few games Tyrone could hammer them. Then Mayo could peak and Tyrone could be as good as some think and it could be tight. I think there are a lot of unanswered questions on both , which none of us can answer, and this game will answer some of those. Kerry and Dublin will still ask more questions mind you no matter who. I don't think Mayo have it in them to beat Dublin. If Tyrone are as good or better than some think then maybe they could but don't think Mayo could. I still think they will maybe come through. None of their games till now matter and even early qualifiers for example Armagh got beat by an average enough monaghan outfit in the first round and made an AI final. An early season defeat means nothing now.

Jinxy

Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2016, 02:30:12 PM

I don't think so - seems to be 90% Tyronies in this thread, very little cockiness in Mayo about this one.

The Mayo crowd are fierce quiet alright.
They are that cocky they don't even think it's worth talking about.
The result is a foregone conclusion.
Which is pretty disrespectful to Tyrone if you ask me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Brick Tamlin

Slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a few good bars in Belfast this weekend to watch the double header in?

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2016, 03:06:02 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2016, 02:30:12 PM

The Mayo crowd are fierce quiet alright.
They are that cocky they don't even think it's worth talking about.
The result is a foregone conclusion.
Which is pretty disrespectful to Tyrone if you ask me.
I think it is a very sophisticated strategy. They get the Tyrone to do all the talking. Then when they win the match they will all go ha ha ha.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: ashman on August 03, 2016, 02:33:48 PM
Really hard to judge until we see the games this weekend .

Tyrone won a below average Ulster championship .  Donegal had to struggle to beat a bad cork team . Mayo lost to Galway .  We will be a lot wiser Saturday evening at 8 pm .  Can't wait .

From seeing the game live, I thought that Donegal played in 2nd gear. There was no urgency in their play. They looked like they were trying to do as little as possible in preparation for next weekend.

I think Mayo tried the same, but they switched completely off in the second half and it nearly backfired.

Donegal are a better side at controlling a game, compared to Mayo. Murphy is someone who can do that. Mayo don't have a man in the middle with the same stature. Parson (who did not play) would be the closest. But he is a long way off Murphy!