McHale park worst ground I ever played on- Marty Clarke

Started by Peter Solan the Great, February 08, 2011, 11:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

As well as saying that being in Castlebar made him miss Australia. ;D ;D ;D

Down star Marty Clarke admits last Saturday night's Allianz National Football League opener against Mayo made him yearn for the warmth of Australia.

Clarke returned from Melbourne 18 months ago having earned impressive reviews during his time with Collingwood.

He helped Down to a surprise run to the All-Ireland final last year, earning an All-Star in the process, but the winter months were dominated with speculation that he was keen to return Down Under.

And those rumours are sure to resurface after a dramatic media piece today, in which he blasted the warm-up and match fields at Castlebar's McHale Park, the Irish weather and the paltry crowd.

In an eye-opening Irish Daily Star column on Tuesday, he wrote, "As the rain pelted down and we entered a waterlogged back field to warm up in Castlebar, all thoughts began to zoom in on the job in hand.

"Be first to the ball. Simple football. Tackle with intensity. Don't let them settle. County football was back. Let's go. Up Down.

"Fast forward two hours and I heard the '[Do you miss] Australia' question. Suddenly I felt the cold pinch in the air. A bit of Melbourne sun would be nice.

"I gave away five free kicks in the tackle. Two resulted in Mayo points. They'd have been five commendable plays if I'd been out on the MCG. Castlebar was suddenly no MCG. In fact, I'd say it was one of the worst grounds I've ever played at - nothing but sand.

"Picking the ball up was a total nightmare. The ball simply didn't bounce. Once it hit the ground it stayed there. It was like playing on a beach. St Kilda beach!

"The PA system then announced a 'large' attendance, touching 6000, had just watched the game. Ten times that watched my first game of the 2009 season in Melbourne."

Donnellys Hollow

Didn't he play in Newbridge last year?

He's got a very short memory so.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

If Marty Clarke returned 2/3 years ago he would be playing Division 3 football in front of even smaller crowds & worse pitches.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Maybe, but the attendance was very disappointing. Feel free to differ but I think it shows that there is a small enough core number that goes to games in the county of Mayo. As regards the pitch. There is a lot of sand. That would have given the only biteen of bounce in it. Without the sand that pitch would not be playable from Oct. to March. Instead of no bounce there would have been a splash.  People on the east coast should know we have to deal with at least twice the amount of rainfall as they have to deal with.

Rav67

Is this article legit?  No links and the OP seems to like writing his own reports from time to time.

muppet

Quote from: Rav67 on February 09, 2011, 12:05:25 AM
Is this article legit?  No links and the OP seems to like writing his own reports from time to time.

That and there hasn't been any tragedy recently for him to trample all over.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Seems legit alright, and whilst he might have a point about the pitch I'm not quite sure what he expected in Mayo in early Feb ::)

As for the comment about the crowd, well if public adulation is all he's after, again Castlebar in mid-Feb wouldn't be the best to place start looking

He's been through the door before so he should know where it is this time around, these sort of comments should worry any Down fan.

Rav67

Quote from: stephenite on February 09, 2011, 01:40:58 AM
He's been through the door before so he should know where it is this time around, these sort of comments should worry any Down fan.

Even before the interview it seems to be pretty much accepted among Down folk that he will be back in Australia after this season.

stephenite

Quote from: Rav67 on February 09, 2011, 01:58:41 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 09, 2011, 01:40:58 AM

Even before the interview it seems to be pretty much accepted among Down folk that he will be back in Australia after this season.

Oh right, I wasn't aware of that and thought he was staying, despite the comments from Collingwood about taking him back

PAULD123

Marty told his Kingdom team mates last year that he would spend this season in Ireland and then return to Australia. it will be a massive loss to our team but we have to accept it. I guess it would take something pretty special for him to remain beyond that. But have a very special group of players here and we have to belive they can win even when Marty has gone. I just hope his professional approach to the game will serve as a foundation for the team to continue to improve even when he goes

irunthev

I hope Down get London in Ruislip this year in the qualifiers........Heathrow's only ten minutes from the ground, he would probably just hop straight on the plane to Melbourne after that one!!!!

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2011, 11:46:44 PM
Maybe, but the attendance was very disappointing. Feel free to differ but I think it shows that there is a small enough core number that goes to games in the county of Mayo. As regards the pitch. There is a lot of sand. That would have given the only biteen of bounce in it. Without the sand that pitch would not be playable from Oct. to March. Instead of no bounce there would have been a splash.  People on the east coast should know we have to deal with at least twice the amount of rainfall as they have to deal with.

13 euros to go to the match was too steep. The Dubs are charging 40 odd euros for 8 games and some entertainment. I know they have to pay for the stand and lights but a bit of imagination is needed mow to get people in, the GAA in Mayo has to wake up to this fact.