Meath vs Westmeath - Leinster Semi-Final 28/6/15 (Croke Park)

Started by thejuice, June 14, 2015, 11:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2015, 04:48:51 PM
I was thinking that yesterday Dinny. It's more S & (c) rather than S&C.

Still though, you have lads that do the training because they have to, and lads that do the training because they want to.
Nowadays, a lot of inter-county players take personal responsibility for their physical condition.
They'd probably love being in the gym regardless.
Dunno if we've many, if any, like that.
And I'm not talking about poser muscles, look at Flynn & Connolly for Dublin.
Animal fit & strong without carrying an ounce more than they need to.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

agorm

what a complete an utter embarrassment of a management team and a set of players.

it is steve staunton level of inexperience and incompetence.

we are a county that arrogantly looked for reasons to dump our last manager because he didnt fit the county profile and we have feeefalled since.
Shame on the county board delegates that persisted with Ginnity, Barney and arrogantly dumped Eamonn OBrien and Banty to bring in a nobody with no experience.

Shame on the arrogant Meath supporters that regarded an  outside manager to be beneath them.

Get rid of this management team now and put Boylan in charge for the qualifiers and go back to square one at all levels in the county.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 29, 2015, 01:39:49 PM
Gerry,

Boylesports are looking for you. And change your footer.

https://twitter.com/BoyleSports/status/615485457174892544

Dinny believe me I wasn't far off that Lad. I started a new job recently and have been on my best behavior. I only had three pints after the game. I went into work this morning to discover I had three meetings one with the MD, Unfortunately I couldn't speak. Anytime I spoke I sounded like Bonnie Tyler with the flu having smoked 30 Woodbines!

The footer changes when Maddog acknowledges the wrong that was done to me.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

agorm

Quote from: Jinxy on June 29, 2015, 03:24:03 PM
I'll say one thing, despite all our failings if we had Graham Reilly & Eamonn Wallace fully fit and firing, we'd give most teams (outside top 3) a game for 60 minutes before collapsing in a heap.
Wallace was a joy to watch in the first half, he just ran out of steam in the 2nd half due to a lack of games/training in the last year.
ah come on, were you at the wicklow game, did you not see them walk through us in Navan? same thing in the first half yesterday.

Management should have told players at half time that 1st half was not good enough defensively. who cares if we give teams outside the top 3 a game for 60 mins, is that meant to be a positive??

Jinxy

It's meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
Let's not turn on each other.
We're playing Tyrone in a couple of weeks.
Turn on them instead.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Wildweasel74

The Meath man nearly run home with the ball for the 2nd meath goal, same as the donegal man against Derry, Refs never bother to pick up the amount of steps

thebuzz

Quote from: Hardy on June 29, 2015, 11:30:13 AM
Congrats, Juice. the future of the Vincents is secure. I agree with Jinxy's summation of the game. Saves me waffling on. It's all very depressing. I don't mean the game - I've already lost all hope for Meath football for the foreseeable future. I mean the people on here who have no concept of sport. All they can find to talk about in what was a tremendous win and for Westmeath and an entertaining occasion for the neutral is some perceived wrongdoings by one side or another. Why do they watch sport? It puzzles me.

The Westmeath crowd were great yesterday. It might have been different if I had any hope that our team would achieve anything, but the blow of defeat was softened by watching the sheer joy of the WH supporters.

You're very magnanimous in defeat Hardy and rightly so. It was indeed a pleasure for the neutral. 

thebuzz

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 29, 2015, 04:56:59 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2015, 11:34:32 AM
I remember being in Cusack Park in Mullingar back in 1984 when Westmeath beat Dublin in the Centenary Cup I think it was. I remember the travelling Hill taking over behind one of the goals, but what sticks in my mind is an old man crying in the row in front of me when Westmeath won. I often think of that man, who is long dead now I'm sure. I haven't a clue who he is, or was, but he was obviously a long suffering Westmeath fan, and his joy that day was raw, and wonderful to see, even as an 11 year old. I thought of him in 1995 when Westmeath won the Minor All Ireland, and I thought of him in 2004. I thought of him yesterday too, and I'm sure there were a few more in Croke Park yesterday who surprised other young lads watching their tears of joy.

You've a good memory AZ, but I'll bet you don't remember the Leinster Championship game in Tullamore in 1967 when Westmeath beat the Dubs. I was there and I can still feel the pain. As far as I remember Westmeath scored a last minute goal to win by a point.

How could you still feel the pain after all the success you have had over the years since ?  :)
Spare a thought for a poor oul Derry man who witnessed a beating by Galway in the All Ireland semi-final of 2001 and who has never had a sniff of success since...

muppet

Quote from: agorm on June 29, 2015, 06:32:03 PM
what a complete an utter embarrassment of a management team and a set of players.

it is steve staunton level of inexperience and incompetence.

we are a county that arrogantly looked for reasons to dump our last manager because he didnt fit the county profile and we have feeefalled since.
Shame on the county board delegates that persisted with Ginnity, Barney and arrogantly dumped Eamonn OBrien and Banty to bring in a nobody with no experience.

Shame on the arrogant Meath supporters that regarded an  outside manager to be beneath them.

Get rid of this management team now and put Boylan in charge for the qualifiers and go back to square one at all levels in the county.

Welcome back agorm.
MWWSI 2017

agorm

agorm

Quote from: Jinxy on June 29, 2015, 08:47:31 PM
It's meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
Let's not turn on each other.
We're playing Tyrone in a couple of weeks.
Turn on them instead.
Sorry Jinxy,

I didnt mean to have a swipe at you.

just pretty frustrated that we seem to have become almost permanent also rans at this
stage.

Croí na hÉireann

*pokes head in door

What a special, special day. Great to have Westmeath back in the national conscious and as a fella here said to me, great to get that gorilla off our back.

Now, more drink.

p.s. sorry to hear about your loss Dinny.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 01, 2015, 12:09:22 AM
*pokes head in door

What a special, special day. Great to have Westmeath back in the national conscious and as a fella here said to me, great to get that gorilla off our back.

Now, more drink.

p.s. sorry to hear about your loss Dinny.

Thanks Croí

Enjoy the win, no reason why a quarter-final is beyond Westmeath and maybe another crack at Kerry.
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Aye, 2 chances to make it now, a good runout against the dubs will bring us on again.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Iarmhí Abú

Incredible game.  I didn't think I'd get the opportunity to feel this good at a match in Croker again.  This brought the whole 2004 vibe back.  I can rarely remember a WH team putting up scores with the rapidity that we did towards the end.  I felt we were up against it before the game and at half time I was expecting a thumping.  Hopefully this will bring the team on in leaps and bounds.  I don't expect much the next day but the match after that will be interesting.
Tom needs to focus on developing the defence over the next year or two if this team is to develop.  We've shipped big scores and that will need to be resolved if we're going to move forward.