The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 04, 2018, 01:12:57 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 04, 2018, 01:02:52 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 04, 2018, 12:55:02 PM
how can there be missing messages? these are easily recoverable from both the phone and whatsapp. PSNI are so incompetent.

They aren't recoverable from WhatsApp as far as I know and I doubt that the recovery of them from the phone would be admissible in court. To be honest I've had a lot of experience with the PSNI e crime unit in both my current job and my previous one. The unit is now very knowledgeable and tech savy I have to say.

Graham Dwyer was largely prosecuted in Dublin for killing Elaine O'Hara on the basis of text messages. The providers are obliged to keep the messages, even if there was no phone available at all.

Currently being challenged.

http://www.thejournal.ie/graham-dwyer-telephone-records-3862022-Feb2018/

David McKeown

how can there be missing messages? these are easily recoverable from both the phone and whatsapp. PSNI are so incompetent.

They aren't recoverable from WhatsApp as far as I know and I doubt that the recovery of them from the phone would be admissible in court. To be honest I've had a lot of experience with the PSNI e crime unit in both my current job and my previous one. The unit is now very knowledgeable and tech savy I have to say.

Graham Dwyer was largely prosecuted in Dublin for killing Elaine O'Hara on the basis of text messages. The providers are obliged to keep the messages, even if there was no phone available at all.

Texts are very different to what's app though. What's app is encrypted point to point. What's app itself claims it can't recover or read messages after they are sent as far as I know.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hardy

I think the evidence against Dwyer was phone location data, proving he was at or near the scene, rather than texts.

armaghniac

Quote from: David McKeown on March 04, 2018, 01:50:17 PM

Texts are very different to what's app though. What's app is encrypted point to point. What's app itself claims it can't recover or read messages after they are sent as far as I know.

This is a difference, right enough.

Quote from: Hardy on March 04, 2018, 02:31:54 PM
I think the evidence against Dwyer was phone location data, proving he was at or near the scene, rather than texts.

The content of the texts were also important.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Was thinking exactly that. Clickbait crap.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I came to the opposite conclusion myself.
The victim's behaviour is completely that of a victim and while there isn't a whole lot of insight into the Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding's thought process in the aftermath there does seem to be a clean up centred around Harrison. McIlroy shows himself to be a clown and a sc**bag whether guilty or not.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on March 04, 2018, 06:59:16 PM
McIlroy shows himself to be a clown and a sc**bag whether guilty or not.

They all do really.

I am not convinced they will be found guilty but they come across as scumbags anyway.

Tony Baloney

The victim's behaviour is completely that of a victim and while there isn't a whole lot of insight into the Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding's thought process in the aftermath there does seem to be a clean up centred around Harrison. McIlroy shows himself to be a clown and a sc**bag whether guilty or not.
They are definitely guilty of being arseholes but that isn't a criminal offence.

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 04, 2018, 07:05:23 PM
They are definitely guilty of being arseholes but that isn't a criminal offence.

Rape is.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Syferus on March 04, 2018, 07:13:52 PM

Rape is.
Further evidence that you are the greatest legal mind in Ireland.

Syferus

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 04, 2018, 07:20:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 04, 2018, 07:13:52 PM

Rape is.
Further evidence that you are the greatest legal mind in Ireland.

Someone's a bit touchy.

It's pretty clear there was a cover up. I can't see how you can read the evidence and think otherwise.