Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 08:51:18 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 08:24:03 AM
Galway will not win this game.

They dont have the players to break down the Derry system - Armagh held them at bay for long periods yesterday when they had their defensive structure in place.

And going by what we saw at the weekend Derry will give the final a brave rattle as well

I think Walsh, Comer and Finnerty are as well placed as anyone to break down the Derry system.

Also it will be interesting if Kelly plays. If he doesn't then that's their main man marker for McGuigan gone. That for me will be a big factor but I'd be shocked if Kelly doesn't play.

Galway struggled for long periods to break down Armagh - a lot of their scores came on the break or from Armagh mistakes.

And the Derry system is significantly superior to Armaghs

imtommygunn

I would agree with the system being a lot better. It will be very interesting. I would have Galway favourites tbh but wouldn't rule out Derry beating them either. I actually think the Galway keeper being so ropy provides a dilemma for Derry. They have a system which works and would be better not deviating but if there is such a glaring weakness they would need to try and act on it too. If it ain't broke though.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 09:15:15 AM
I would agree with the system being a lot better. It will be very interesting. I would have Galway favourites tbh but wouldn't rule out Derry beating them either. I actually think the Galway keeper being so ropy provides a dilemma for Derry. They have a system which works and would be better not deviating but if there is such a glaring weakness they would need to try and act on it too. If it ain't broke though.

Derry are slight favourites with bookies.

Clare(5-1) and Derry(6-1) nice double for the outright

Armagh18

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 26, 2022, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: Gael80 on June 26, 2022, 10:46:22 PM
Galway were very impressive today, they have the defence and forward line to win an All Ireland. Derry have also been good this season but league is very competitive and Galway found a way to beat the Derry system that day with little trouble. I'm sure Derry will learn from it but I'm not sure they'll be able to turn such a big defeat around so quickly. I think Galway will win this and give the final a right go.

Galway have a forward line and in Tierney, Conroy midfield partnership good enough to challenge for the All-Ireland but defensive and goalkeeping issues are clearly there teams that go on to win the All-Ireland don't concede the high scores Galway concede and are able to close games out better. That wasn't a once off for Galway today either.

Not sure what relevance the league encounter will have. Derry have stepped up a lot from then including improved system of play.
I actually thought Galways defensively were decent-seemed to get the man on the ball surrounded fairly quickly where as we allowed lads to run through unchallenged.  Although Galwaus clean useless under a high ball clearly.

Estimator

Any chance we could get Callum Brown home from Oz for the semi final and stick him in ff for the entire game ;)
Ulster League Champions 2009

Armagh18

Quote from: Estimator on June 27, 2022, 09:48:00 AM

Any chance we could get Callum Brown home from Oz for the semi final and stick him in ff for the entire game ;)
Glass inside?

imtommygunn

This is the thing. If Derry go with that approach IMO they will lose. Need to do what they are good at and throw the odd curveball.

Fear no way Clare beat Limerick. Tbh also can't see Derry winning AI. They've improved immeasurably but not enough. Happy to be proved wrong on that tbh.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 09:55:16 AM
This is the thing. If Derry go with that approach IMO they will lose. Need to do what they are good at and throw the odd curveball.

Fear no way Clare beat Limerick. Tbh also can't see Derry winning AI. They've improved immeasurably but not enough. Happy to be proved wrong on that tbh.

Nice wee bet

imtommygunn

Cluborcountywhynotboth

I don't think the league game has any relevance to this whatsoever, Derry made 3/4 mistakes against the wind and were punished, the game was over very early and both teams will have learned little. I do think Galway are favourites tho, for two reasons, 1) I think they have the inside forwards to take scores from outside the blanket and force derry to push up and open up a little, I think Galway will score more against Derry than any team this year. 2) I think they will press the Derry kickout and get joy as Derry imo have struggled when they have had to go long and there is mistakes in Lynch if he goes short. Having said all that, I don't overly rate Galway defensively, I think they will struggle to match Derrys running game especially in transition, and if Derry are as clinical as they were at the weekend then they could get something, will need other forwards to step up and take scores tho. Overall I'd have Galway 2/3 point favourites but wouldn't be surprised with any result.

marty34

South Derry have a great chance V Galway.

Gallagher will get his match ups spot on. He's a shrewd operator.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Estimator on June 27, 2022, 09:48:00 AM

Get big Tockhill on. Antney not Anton 😉

Muldoon could have had some fun in there too tbh

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on June 27, 2022, 10:17:47 AM
I don't think the league game has any relevance to this whatsoever, Derry made 3/4 mistakes against the wind and were punished, the game was over very early and both teams will have learned little. I do think Galway are favourites tho, for two reasons, 1) I think they have the inside forwards to take scores from outside the blanket and force derry to push up and open up a little, I think Galway will score more against Derry than any team this year. 2) I think they will press the Derry kickout and get joy as Derry imo have struggled when they have had to go long and there is mistakes in Lynch if he goes short. Having said all that, I don't overly rate Galway defensively, I think they will struggle to match Derrys running game especially in transition, and if Derry are as clinical as they were at the weekend then they could get something, will need other forwards to step up and take scores tho. Overall I'd have Galway 2/3 point favourites but wouldn't be surprised with any result.

They have to press the derry kickouts. When teams have done that this year Derry haven't looked as slick. Derry need to find a way round that as Galway are bound to push up on kickouts. I also predict Galway but wouldn't be surprised either way.

Taylor

The league game will have zero bearing on this game in much the same way Dublins league campaign has had any impact on their championship season

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 10:49:05 AM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on June 27, 2022, 10:17:47 AM

They have to press the derry kickouts. When teams have done that this year Derry haven't looked as slick. Derry need to find a way round that as Galway are bound to push up on kickouts. I also predict Galway but wouldn't be surprised either way.

Probably too much emphasis these days on kick outs. It's the 'in' thing nowadays.  Coming from the stats men.  Pundits like it also.

Key thing is the shooting and shot selection.

Both teams will get their opportunities.  Will they give it to the player in the best position?

What's the conversion rate of scores/shots.

That's the key thing.

Derry seemed intent on scoring goals as early as they could and create goals chances, which they did. They didn't want Clare to settle into the game.

Galway didn't have that same intent. They were slow to start and once they got going, they controlled the game.