Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: toby47 on January 27, 2022, 03:00:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 02:52:15 PM
Quote from: toby47 on January 27, 2022, 02:48:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 01:56:59 PM
Anyone go to these games? The level is just under div 1 county standard, now our level for the past few years has been well below that, so I'm not sure why people are finding it strange we only have the odd player on these panels..

Do you think the Sigerson teams would beat Division 2, 3 & 4 teams?

The top teams that year would compete, when college teams (with the players UUJ have at the minute) were playing in McKenna cup they did beat Antrim a few times

Queens got to a final also of the McKenna cup

I'd agree that colleges football is a good standard, I am a big follower of it. However I think for the most part it's about Division 4 intercounty standard, with the best teams in certain years maybe division 3 or bottom end division 2 at a push.

UCD won their version twice and played another final.  4 college finalists in Munster and 2 college winners of the FBD. Their standard is decent and competitive.. My point was, Antrim have been div 4 for long enough and the college teams at their best (top 4 per year.) can compete with the div 2 and 3 teams well enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

toby47

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 03:05:40 PM
Anyone go to these games? The level is just under div 1 county standard, now our level for the past few years has been well below that, so I'm not sure why people are finding it strange we only have the odd player on these panels..

The top teams that year would compete, when college teams (with the players UUJ have at the minute) were playing in McKenna cup they did beat Antrim a few times

I'd agree that colleges football is a good standard, I am a big follower of it. However I think for the most part it's about Division 4 intercounty standard, with the best teams in certain years maybe division 3 or bottom end division 2 at a push.

UCD won their version twice and played another final.  4 college finalists in Munster and 2 college winners of the FBD. Their standard is decent and competitive.. My point was, Antrim have been div 4 for long enough and the college teams at their best (top 4 per year.) can compete with the div 2 and 3 teams well enough

Yeah but in general the counties play experimental teams in the competitions so it can be a bit of a false indicator. I'd fancy Antrim to beat that current UUJ team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: toby47 on January 27, 2022, 03:20:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 03:05:40 PM

Yeah but in general the counties play experimental teams in the competitions so it can be a bit of a false indicator. I'd fancy Antrim to beat that current UUJ team.

And they may do, as Antrim have developed a bit better recently, I've ref'd a right few challenge games at UUJ against county teams over the years, and the time of year is a factor also, but with the talent available and if they had sole pick of the players  then the college teams selection would be pretty decent.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

I'm tempted again to point out that next to no MacRory Cup focus in the counties schools is killing us, but for some reason a lot of posters just want to jump in and say we need to look at the clubs first.  But it's a fact, although I'm glad to see good SW representation in Maghera and Magherafelt teams this year - on course for a tasty final, but it's Derry who will gain most and QUB and UUJ teams will feature Derry strongly in next few years, as sure as night follows day. We'll have a couple of we're lucky.

Saffsof82

foundation is the club, not many mcrory cups in Monaghan and Donegal, 13 years since a tyrone side won it. Yes, schools with a strong mccrory cup ethos definatley drive their players harder to succeed, and yes i would love to see an Antrim school competitive at that level, but the building blocks still are supplied to them by the catchment clubs

rogercasement

I wouldn't be getting to hung up on the sigerson lads. If you ever listened to Tomas O Se podcast you would hear his prediction that it is a dying competition with no room on the calendar. For what it's worth I'd say there no players unearthed at Sigerson therefore unless you are an underage star and a recognised name arriving at uni you won't playing that or you are an established player and college seeks you, reality is very few Antrim players for whatever reason fall in to this category. I would also say Antrim always seem to have a higher than average number of players travelling to England and the South for uni, maybe already experienced the bright lights of Belfast!!

Flanker

Quote from: Sportacus on January 27, 2022, 03:29:03 PM
I'm tempted again to point out that next to no MacRory Cup focus in the counties schools is killing us, but for some reason a lot of posters just want to jump in and say we need to look at the clubs first.  But it's a fact, although I'm glad to see good SW representation in Maghera and Magherafelt teams this year - on course for a tasty final, but it's Derry who will gain most and QUB and UUJ teams will feature Derry strongly in next few years, as sure as night follows day. We'll have a couple of we're lucky.
We could do with getting competitive in the schools competitions that our schools are currently in first. We aren't within a country mile of being competitive at the business end of McCrory Cup. Having a couple of schools competitive at the business end of Mclarnon Cup would be a good start. Maybe win one and get to a final every 4 or 5 years would do for starters

Sportacus

Quote from: rogercasement on January 27, 2022, 04:47:33 PM
I wouldn't be getting to hung up on the sigerson lads. If you ever listened to Tomas O Se podcast you would hear his prediction that it is a dying competition with no room on the calendar. For what it's worth I'd say there no players unearthed at Sigerson therefore unless you are an underage star and a recognised name arriving at uni you won't playing that or you are an established player and college seeks you, reality is very few Antrim players for whatever reason fall in to this category. I would also say Antrim always seem to have a higher than average number of players travelling to England and the South for uni, maybe already experienced the bright lights of Belfast!!
MacRory

Flanker

Quote from: Sportacus on January 27, 2022, 05:41:41 PM
Quote from: rogercasement on January 27, 2022, 04:47:33 PM
MacRory
Thomas O Se is a big supporter of Sigerson and giving it a place in the Calendar.

If you haven' featured in McRory you are going to find it very difficult to make the cut at Sigerson. Not impossible but the odds are not stacked in your favour.

bannside

Bit of feedback there. Cormac McGettigan Cillian Burke and Niall Burns all featuring for the Ranch. That's a decent representation. And Peter King also on QUB set up.

That's a bit more like it. When you see guys featuring for their uni at this time of the year you know they're either at, or close to, the standard that's needed to be part of a county panel (esp in divisions three or four).

Owen Gallagher NUI and Peter Healy (UCD) faced off in a final a few years ago. Niall Delargy Dermot Mc Aleese and Ryan Murray were starting at QUB and Paddy Mc Bride, Matt Fitz and Paddy Mc Aleer were all big names at the Ranch that same year! Apologies if I left anyone out, just going from memory.

Sigerson participation mightnt be the complete barometer, but a fairly reliable one nonetheless.

Milltown Row2

Mcgourty won a couple also

imtommygunn

There was one year the finals weekend was up at the dub and I would have said the antrim players on view were as good as anywhere. There were quite a few St Galls from memory and maybe the two McCanns.

bannside

Maybe throw in a Justy, Micko Herron and  Paddy C as well into that list ITG. Maybe others too....

imtommygunn

Better memory than me bs lol. I do remember watching that year and thinking you know what our players are not too bad here.

Saffsof82

Why do our gaa men in schools not push gaa? I'm baffled! La salle barely fielded as last number of seasons in gaa though flat out at soccer yet staff full of gaa lads