Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

Think our clubs have work to do BS. Look at the standard of club juvenile football in Down or Derry, light years ahead of us, producing players with game sense, skill , and strength. County can only work with what the clubs send forward, we in the clubs need to be working harder.

Dreen

First question to ask is how many of our players are at university?

Saffsof82

Quote from: Dreen on January 27, 2022, 12:50:40 PM

Good point Dreen  :D

Saffrongael

Quote from: Dreen on January 27, 2022, 12:50:40 PM

Exactly
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

bannside

LOL...the education system in Antrim is behind schedule too then....come on, please!

Saffsof82

its a very relevant point. Most Sigerson players these days are on their county senior panels, so if you went through Antrim senior panel, how many of those lads are at the Belfast Unis?

Dreen

Not saying education is behind at all but the assumption is your best footballers are attending Sigerson uni's. This isn't always the case as some won't go to 3rd level education and some may not attend the ones that are Sigerson level.

UU has a very strong Tyrone contingent and the likes of Loughlin and Glass from Derry.

Saffsof82

adam loughran in dublin, eunan was dundalk ....only youngish players i know, Ronan Boyle qub but hes still a fresher but a great talent

bannside

There are as many Gaelic footballers at the three main Belfast Universities now as there were back then. The difference is our players arnt cutting the mustard there as they were previously. Those are the facts. You can try to disguise it any other way if you want. Same as our minors going to Donegal and getting beat by 24 points in a championship match. Players arnt good enough, that's the bottom line.....either that or they way they are being prepared isn't good enough.

The one thing I will agree on wholeheartedly is that clubs need to take the majority of responsibility for making sure their juveniles are well prepared. It's the only thing you can really make happen.

The director of football still has a lot of work to do!

Saffsof82

well going back to queens great team of 93-94 the only antrim man on the whole panel was Ronan Hamill, one out of 24! So its hardly a new thing that our players struggle to get in the top sides.

Milltown Row2

Anyone go to these games? The level is just under div 1 county standard, now our level for the past few years has been well below that, so I'm not sure why people are finding it strange we only have the odd player on these panels..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

Quote from: bannside on January 27, 2022, 12:57:24 PM
LOL...the education system in Antrim is behind schedule too then....come on, please!

lol ;D ;D ;D ;D

toby47

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 01:56:59 PM
Anyone go to these games? The level is just under div 1 county standard, now our level for the past few years has been well below that, so I'm not sure why people are finding it strange we only have the odd player on these panels..

Do you think the Sigerson teams would beat Division 2, 3 & 4 teams?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: toby47 on January 27, 2022, 02:48:25 PM

The top teams that year would compete, when college teams (with the players UUJ have at the minute) were playing in McKenna cup they did beat Antrim a few times

Queens got to a final also of the McKenna cup
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

toby47

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2022, 02:52:15 PM
Quote from: toby47 on January 27, 2022, 02:48:25 PM

The top teams that year would compete, when college teams (with the players UUJ have at the minute) were playing in McKenna cup they did beat Antrim a few times

Queens got to a final also of the McKenna cup

I'd agree that colleges football is a good standard, I am a big follower of it. However I think for the most part it's about Division 4 intercounty standard, with the best teams in certain years maybe division 3 or bottom end division 2 at a push.