Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

A more worrying statistic from Junior is that 74 games were conceded from a potential 136, over 50%. Even if we exclude Killyman who conceded all 16 we would have 58/120 conceded, still approaching 50%.

According to the results in the website Killyman conceded 16, Urney 10, Donaghmore 9, Errigal & Aghaloo 8, Brocagh 7, Clan na Gael 4, Brackaville & Derrytresk 3, Drumquin & Castlederg 2, Fintona & Augher 1.
Only Cookstown, Eskra, Glenelly &Drumragh did not concede a game.

EDIT: to clarify, I am referring to reserve games.

W.A.G. Lover

Quote from: LeoMc on September 11, 2023, 01:04:53 PM
Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on September 11, 2023, 10:59:21 AM
Why is everyone still talking about splitting Junior? - That doesnt solve anything.
When are the "bigger" clubs in Tyrone going to accept a re-structure of the leagues without the fear their club will drop down. Proposals below still mean league and championship linked, and as long as you finish in top 16 league positions across top 2 divisions, you are still playing Senior Championship.

4 divisions - Equal split of 4 x 12/13 teams. Play everyone once - Half of which are starred, and introduce a cup to get a few more games. Top 16 league positions from previous year play Senior championship, next 16 intermediate and following 16 play Junior.
5 divisions - Equal split of 5 x 9/10 teams. Play everyone twice - Half of which are starred. Top 16 league positions from previous year play Senior championship, next 16 intermediate and following 16 play Junior.
6 divisions - Equal split of 6 x 8/9 teams. Play everyone twice - Half of which are starred. Division 1 & 2 teams play senior championship, Division 3 & 4 teams play intermediate championship and Division 5 & 6 teams play senior championship

Each of these proposals leaves us with 16 teams in the Junior Championship and the potential mis-matches that triggered this particular round of hand-wringing over the state of Junior football.

Where do you propose to put these weaker Junior teams? I cant imagine they want to play a token Junior B championship, with no end-game in Ulster. Essentially by removing them from Junior, they become recreational sides.

LeoMc

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on September 11, 2023, 02:25:32 PM
Why is everyone still talking about splitting Junior? - That doesnt solve anything.
When are the "bigger" clubs in Tyrone going to accept a re-structure of the leagues without the fear their club will drop down. Proposals below still mean league and championship linked, and as long as you finish in top 16 league positions across top 2 divisions, you are still playing Senior Championship.

4 divisions - Equal split of 4 x 12/13 teams. Play everyone once - Half of which are starred, and introduce a cup to get a few more games. Top 16 league positions from previous year play Senior championship, next 16 intermediate and following 16 play Junior.
5 divisions - Equal split of 5 x 9/10 teams. Play everyone twice - Half of which are starred. Top 16 league positions from previous year play Senior championship, next 16 intermediate and following 16 play Junior.
6 divisions - Equal split of 6 x 8/9 teams. Play everyone twice - Half of which are starred. Division 1 & 2 teams play senior championship, Division 3 & 4 teams play intermediate championship and Division 5 & 6 teams play senior championship

Each of these proposals leaves us with 16 teams in the Junior Championship and the potential mis-matches that triggered this particular round of hand-wringing over the state of Junior football.

Where do you propose to put these weaker Junior teams? I cant imagine they want to play a token Junior B championship, with no end-game in Ulster. Essentially by removing them from Junior, they become recreational sides.
I am not proposing changing anything. I just think you are coming up with a non-solution to a non-problem.

RedHand88

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on September 11, 2023, 02:25:32 PM

I thought the exact same today. You are essentially turning them into "Dads and lads" teams.

trailer

Quote from: LeoMc on September 11, 2023, 02:10:39 PM
A more worrying statistic from Junior is that 74 games were conceded from a potential 136, over 50%. Even if we exclude Killyman who conceded all 16 we would have 58/120 conceded, still approaching 50%.

According to the results in the website Killyman conceded 16, Urney 10, Donaghmore 9, Errigal & Aghaloo 8, Brocagh 7, Clan na Gael 4, Brackaville & Derrytresk 3, Drumquin & Castlederg 2, Fintona & Augher 1.

Are you looking at the reserve fixtures? Find it hard to believe Killyman never fielded in any games.

LeoMc

Quote from: trailer on September 12, 2023, 08:56:58 AM
A more worrying statistic from Junior is that 74 ** Reserve **games were conceded from a potential 136, over 50%. Even if we exclude Killyman who conceded all 16 we would have 58/120 conceded, still approaching 50%.

Are you looking at the reserve fixtures? Find it hard to believe Killyman never fielded in any games.

Sorry, yes. I was talking about Junior Reserves. It is a lot of games not played and a lot of players missing out on football.

trailer

Quote from: LeoMc on September 12, 2023, 09:44:54 AM
A more worrying statistic from Junior is that 74 ** Reserve **games were conceded from a potential 136, over 50%. Even if we exclude Killyman who conceded all 16 we would have 58/120 conceded, still approaching 50%.

Sorry, yes. I was talking about Junior Reserves. It is a lot of games not played and a lot of players missing out on football.

Reserves need decoupled from the "senior" fixtures. Would be a start.

uptheblues

Serious amount of games - I do believe reserve leagues need looked at, or at the least the junior reserve. A lot of these clubs rely on reserves beefing out the senior squad and often have players playing in 2 games.

I like the Friday night football but it is almost impossible to get a reserve team to the other side of the county for 6.45pm throw in when alot of reserves work to 5 and 5.30pm.

An east/west reserve league maybe an option. or if the fixtures committee sit down at the beginning of the year and split games between Fridays and Sundays in all grades. The "derby" or neighbouring games could all be friday nights and anything over an hours spin for any team it should be Sunday automatically. Then you'll see a-lot less games conceded. - This will also solve the refereeing issue when the games are splt between friday and sunday. IMO

TyroneClubs

Quote from: uptheblues on September 12, 2023, 10:18:49 AM

Serious amount of games - I do believe reserve leagues need looked at, or at the least the junior reserve. A lot of these clubs rely on reserves beefing out the senior squad and often have players playing in 2 games.

I like the Friday night football but it is almost impossible to get a reserve team to the other side of the county for 6.45pm throw in when alot of reserves work to 5 and 5.30pm.

An east/west reserve league maybe an option. or if the fixtures committee sit down at the beginning of the year and split games between Fridays and Sundays in all grades. The "derby" or neighbouring games could all be friday nights and anything over an hours spin for any team it should be Sunday automatically. Then you'll see a-lot less games conceded. - This will also solve the refereeing issue when the games are splt between friday and sunday. IMO

Club footballers do not want Sunday football any more. There would be more numbers leaving if it went back to that on a more regular basis

RedHand88

Quote from: TyroneClubs on September 12, 2023, 05:31:39 PM

Club footballers do not want Sunday football any more. There would be more numbers leaving if it went back to that on a more regular basis

So basically what's the point in playing a game if you can't have a rip after it?

TabClear

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 12, 2023, 08:17:40 PM
Quote from: TyroneClubs on September 12, 2023, 05:31:39 PM

So basically what's the point in playing a game if you can't have a rip after it?

Not that simple. Players are fitter now and playing a lot longer now. There would be plenty of Reserves in Junior playing well into late thirties/early forties and this should be encouraged. MOst of these people have kids and would like to go an do something with the family on a Sunday during the Summer. I know when I quit that was a major reason for it, the kids were aged 5-10 and I wanted to go to beach etc. If I had known that I had no commitments on a Sunday I probably would have played another couple of years.

RedHand88

Christmas Lights

Quote from: laceer on September 11, 2023, 10:26:25 AM
Junior championship to stay as is, league to split in two. Massive gap between top and bottom of D3. A split league would give the bottom half teams something achievable to work towards. 3A and 3B both in Junior championship still gives lower half clubs a crack at a big day out.

Small clubs will always have lean spells - Brocagh and Killyman aren't anywhere near amalgamation stage. Will no doubt take a few more trimmings over the next while but we've the stomach to stick it out and bring our youth through.

How come there is always a phone symbol beside your posts Laceer?

laceer

Think it's because I use a wap mobile version of the board. Far handier read on the phone.

GaaGPT

What do we think of Tyrone Gaa turning away RTE and TG4 from shown the Tyrone Championship. Personally think its poor decision. Great opportunity to promote Tyrone football