Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

The Island beat by dmore. Now facing the playoffs

Onthe40

Quote from: drgeorge on September 10, 2023, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: clarshack on September 10, 2023, 04:49:19 PM
The Hill's turn to take a hiding in the Junior Championship.
Surely a schoolboy error in the appointment of an inexperienced manager?

Not sure that's the issue. Hill are hanging on to the last Rembrandts of their 2011 squad .. don't seem to have brought much youth through.. few lean years ahead
Brackaville had a few handy ballers .. but played into eskras hands

scout

A scary weekend in the junior championship in terms of mismatches. Surely some sort of reform for junior is required asap?
Will need amalgamation of clubs within the next 5 years at current rate.

clarshack

Quote from: scout on September 10, 2023, 09:30:24 PM
A scary weekend in the junior championship in terms of mismatches. Surely some sort of reform for junior is required asap?

Said this as well here yesterday.
Split the Junior Division into 2.
In the League teams to play home and away.
Top half championship is the Junior Championship.
Bottom half is the Novice Championship.

LeoMc

Naomh Brid and Doire Og are the current underage amalgamations up by the Loughshore. Which teams are involved in each?

St Macartans (Augher, Clogher) and Clan NaGael / Owen Roes are the other obvious amalgamations.

clarshack

Quote from: LeoMc on September 10, 2023, 10:12:10 PM

Naomh Brid and Doire Og are the current underage amalgamations up by the Loughshore. Which teams are involved in each?

St Macartans (Augher, Clogher) and Clan NaGael / Owen Roes are the other obvious amalgamations.

Naomh Brid is Brocagh and Killyman and both of their senior teams are really struggling so maybe it's time they joined at adult level too if they don't restructure any leagues/championships. With Doiri Oga i'm surprised that Derrytresk entered into that arrangement with Derrylaughan as the Derrytresk youth setup had some decent teams and weren't exactly struggling for numbers. Think they actually won an U-13 Grade 3 title 2 years ago. Just seems to me that Derrylaughan are going to get more out of the arrangement.

HalfBack7

Quote from: Million on September 09, 2023, 09:12:16 PM
At the ladies games earlier in Healy Park. Such a sad shame the officiating not of the standard required. Derg scored a last minute goal, girl laid on the ground in the square and plays the ball (already rolling along the ground) into the nets using her hands. Ref gives the goal.

Umpires not neutral, and a row almost breaks out between them due to the contention. Simply guys doing umpire who don't know the rules, and are totally biased. Ref and lineos should do it themselves in such a case. Totally unfair on the players on the pitch. Embarrassment for Tyrone GAA with good crowd in attendance.

Was at the games to. I doubt you need to read the LGFA rules mate. Don't forget they are a completely didn't set of rules.
A girl (while laying on the ground) can play the ball away from her, as long as she doesn't pull it into her possession. I thought the ref got that call spot on.
As for being the the square, that was touch and go. The shot came in and she threw herself at it. Only the video will tell if it was square ball or not, but didn't look it from where I was sitting.

Anyway, great game of football. Better than the what the second game offered.
I'm sure it's not nice to see your girls lose by last minute goal but take it on the chin and move on ffs.

TabClear

Unfortunately this is always going to be the way in Junior, there can be a massive gap between the top few and the bottom and unfortunately this year the draw seemed to be particularly unkind. I dont think any of the top 3-4 teams drew a team in the top half. Not sure splitting it is the answer, even the teams down the table would rather have the chance to go for the main prize in a knock out. Its not great to see some of the hammerings handed out this weekend but unfortunately that's sport. Look back to Killyman a few years ago who finished bottom intermediate but won the Championship. Also, Newtownstewart got out of Junior through the Championship about 5 years ago from a league position of 7 (I think) and they have stayed up in Intermediate since. In a knockout game anything can happen.

Onthe40

totally agree... it has to stay as is..simple as... imagine telling ads from the bottom clubs you've no championship this year, you'll play in a Mickey Mouse novice cup...BS that
Derrytresk got to a semi final last year and should've beat Drumragh the previous year albeit for a last gasp penalty, who then got lost out in the final that year
These things are cyclical..  injuries, a few lads missing etc is more harmful in the smaller clubs
The youth is fairly strong in likes of Derrytresk and I think Brackaville have been consistently winning grade 4 titles in recent years.. these teams will come again

uptheblues

Quote from: Onthe40 on September 11, 2023, 09:26:17 AM
totally agree... it has to stay as is..simple as... imagine telling ads from the bottom clubs you've no championship this year, you'll play in a Mickey Mouse novice cup...BS that
Derrytresk got to a semi final last year and should've beat Drumragh the previous year albeit for a last gasp penalty, who then got lost out in the final that year
These things are cyclical..  injuries, a few lads missing etc is more harmful in the smaller clubs
The youth is fairly strong in likes of Derrytresk and I think Brackaville have been consistently winning grade 4 titles in recent years.. these teams will come again

Agreed, Utter disrespect to lads in Junior football. There's a lot of good ballers in every team in junior and every lad puts in as much effort and commitment as senior teams do. I think the main problem is the lack of numbers and depth in teams at this end of the year. Pick up injuries and they will struggle. Speaking to a few Brackville supporters yesterday on the way out and it seems they have been badly hampered with long term injuries and departures abroad. 5 or 6 from first 15 this year I believe. Big lad McHugh has recently retired too and younger brother came on carrying a knock, looked impressive in parts but clearly in discomfort.

A novice/divison 4 would surly drive the decent players to neighbouring clubs or the USA. Its a no from me.

laceer

Junior championship to stay as is, league to split in two. Massive gap between top and bottom of D3. A split league would give the bottom half teams something achievable to work towards. 3A and 3B both in Junior championship still gives lower half clubs a crack at a big day out.

Small clubs will always have lean spells - Brocagh and Killyman aren't anywhere near amalgamation stage. Will no doubt take a few more trimmings over the next while but we've the stomach to stick it out and bring our youth through.

W.A.G. Lover

Why is everyone still talking about splitting Junior? - That doesnt solve anything.
When are the "bigger" clubs in Tyrone going to accept a re-structure of the leagues without the fear their club will drop down. Proposals below still mean league and championship linked, and as long as you finish in top 16 league positions across top 2 divisions, you are still playing Senior Championship.

4 divisions - Equal split of 4 x 12/13 teams. Play everyone once - Half of which are starred, and introduce a cup to get a few more games. Top 16 league positions from previous year play Senior championship, next 16 intermediate and following 16 play Junior.
5 divisions - Equal split of 5 x 9/10 teams. Play everyone twice - Half of which are starred. Top 16 league positions from previous year play Senior championship, next 16 intermediate and following 16 play Junior.
6 divisions - Equal split of 6 x 8/9 teams. Play everyone twice - Half of which are starred. Division 1 & 2 teams play senior championship, Division 3 & 4 teams play intermediate championship and Division 5 & 6 teams play senior championship

Onthe40

Quote from: clarshack on September 10, 2023, 10:25:54 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on September 10, 2023, 10:12:10 PM

Naomh Brid is Brocagh and Killyman and both of their senior teams are really struggling so maybe it's time they joined at adult level too if they don't restructure any leagues/championships. With Doiri Oga i'm surprised that Derrytresk entered into that arrangement with Derrylaughan as the Derrytresk youth setup had some decent teams and weren't exactly struggling for numbers. Think they actually won an U-13 Grade 3 title 2 years ago. Just seems to me that Derrylaughan are going to get more out of the arrangement.

Clarshack my understanding is DLaughan are stronger/more numbers at the older age groups i.e. u20 & minor with DT being stronger from u16 down
but both clubs needed the amalgamation
net net they now have squads of 20-25 at each age group and fielding strong 15 aside teams in grade 2 and doing well - with an overall aim of bringing youth players through to good senior standard
this would not have been possible on their own

LeoMc

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on September 11, 2023, 10:59:21 AM
Why is everyone still talking about splitting Junior? - That doesnt solve anything.
When are the "bigger" clubs in Tyrone going to accept a re-structure of the leagues without the fear their club will drop down. Proposals below still mean league and championship linked, and as long as you finish in top 16 league positions across top 2 divisions, you are still playing Senior Championship.

4 divisions - Equal split of 4 x 12/13 teams. Play everyone once - Half of which are starred, and introduce a cup to get a few more games. Top 16 league positions from previous year play Senior championship, next 16 intermediate and following 16 play Junior.
5 divisions - Equal split of 5 x 9/10 teams. Play everyone twice - Half of which are starred. Top 16 league positions from previous year play Senior championship, next 16 intermediate and following 16 play Junior.
6 divisions - Equal split of 6 x 8/9 teams. Play everyone twice - Half of which are starred. Division 1 & 2 teams play senior championship, Division 3 & 4 teams play intermediate championship and Division 5 & 6 teams play senior championship

Each of these proposals leaves us with 16 teams in the Junior Championship and the potential mis-matches that triggered this particular round of hand-wringing over the state of Junior football.

ClubScene13

Go and look at the junior league table. Nearly every one of these clubs has either played intermediate in the last 10/15 years, or if not they're currently going pretty well now (Fintona, Drumragh, Drumquin, Glenelly)

Wouldn't worry about it, swings and roundabouts, some of the teams that shipped tankings this weekend have had a lot of emmigration and injuries and will be competitive again.

Killyman are a worry but I believe they have some very good teams at the younger end of underage, hopefully they can ride the storm out in the mean time.

How bad did it get when Dregish folded were they consistently struggling to get 15 out?