Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: ziggy90 on February 03, 2015, 10:27:34 AM
What was the result of the Rock versus Brusna replay?

Rock lost by a point.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

W.A.G. Lover

Was anyone in attendance at any of the Ulster League games or friendlies at the weekend?
Any teams shaping up well? Any new faces on any teams?

blewuporstuffed

Leagues confirmed to start 12th April, hearing the championship due to go ahead in late May
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 04, 2015, 03:00:30 PM
Leagues confirmed to start 12th April, hearing the championship due to go ahead in late May

League can't be confirmed to start on that date as Tyrone's final group league game is on Sunday 5th of April, just a week before the date you've stated. The league could go ahead provided that Tyrone do not qualify for the knockout stages however that isn't clear yet.

As for the championship taking place in late May:
Tyrone vs Donegal is fixed for Sunday 17th April. The winners play Armagh 4 weeks later on the 14th of June with the losers entering the first round of the qualifiers 20th June.

It is logistically possible to run the first round in this 4 week window, yes, but is it probable? I would hazard a guess at no. I base this on a weeks recovery/time with clubs for county players (at a minimum), the county boards need to spread out game start times in order to maximise gate receipts and the preparation time required for the county team for their next fixture (be that Ulster championship or AI Qualifiers).

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on February 04, 2015, 03:40:13 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 04, 2015, 03:00:30 PM

League can't be confirmed to start on that date as Tyrone's final group league game is on Sunday 5th of April, just a week before the date you've stated. The league could go ahead provided that Tyrone do not qualify for the knockout stages however that isn't clear yet.

As for the championship taking place in late May:
Tyrone vs Donegal is fixed for Sunday 17th April. The winners play Armagh 4 weeks later on the 14th of June with the losers entering the first round of the qualifiers 20th June.

It is logistically possible to run the first round in this 4 week window, yes, but is it probable? I would hazard a guess at no. I base this on a weeks recovery/time with clubs for county players (at a minimum), the county boards need to spread out game start times in order to maximise gate receipts and the preparation time required for the county team for their next fixture (be that Ulster championship or AI Qualifiers).

Only going by what i have heard from a reliable source.
realistically Tyrone wont qualify for the latter stages of the league, so that wont be an issue
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Knock Yer Mucker In

Keyboard your missing the point, the CB only care about the fixture list being completed. They know, and anyone with half a brain knows Tyrone wont be playing football in August. So what is the rush? They think that letting county players be with their club for one week or two weeks in other cases is sufficient tells us all we need to know of how they respect us. Is there any where for the customary respectful league game prior to the club championship. Boys they are rotten
BTW its the 17th May

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on February 04, 2015, 04:03:51 PM
Keyboard your missing the point, the CB only care about the fixture list being completed. They know, and anyone with half a brain knows Tyrone wont be playing football in August. So what is the rush? They think that letting county players be with their club for one week or two weeks in other cases is sufficient tells us all we need to know of how they respect us. Is there any where for the customary respectful league game prior to the club championship. Boys they are rotten
BTW its the 17th May
I'd agree with that.

blewuporstuffed

Whats the problem with playing a round of the championship early rather than cramming it all into a few weeks at the end of the season as usual?

Tyrone Gaa

The problem is that it leaves 50% of clubs out of championship football.  Rips the heart out of a club no matter how big/small.  When your club is in the championship there is always that glimmer of hope that we can win this.

Boys look to America, lose interest, the league suffers.  I wouldnt be in favour of a very early championship
Living the dream!!!

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on February 04, 2015, 04:32:03 PM
The problem is that it leaves 50% of clubs out of championship football.  Rips the heart out of a club no matter how big/small.  When your club is in the championship there is always that glimmer of hope that we can win this.

Boys look to America, lose interest, the league suffers.  I wouldnt be in favour of a very early championship
Added to that, teams are expected to peak in May and then again 3 months later when Tyrone are knocked out of the All-Ireland.

blewuporstuffed

So your against club football being disrupted for county players but are happy enough to schedule games to suit a handful of lads that want to pass off to America for the summer?

Redhand Santa

Was there much evidence of this last year? Did players going to America increase compared to prior year? The likes of donaghmore improved after getting knocked out of the championship early. Killyclogher went on to win the league. I didn't notice a huge drop of in the competitiveness of the league. Some teams such as clonoe took it easy in some of their games but would have if still in the championship too.

County board get an awful lot of flack. I would agree the way the season is run is far from perfect but compare the availability of county players to other counties to other counties and it's good in tyrone.

I personally think the league and championship should be separate in terms of grades and league should be played away to give regular games to clubs without county players. The championship could then be based on two groups of 8 with each club having 7 games. Top 4 qualify for quarter finals. Bottom two go into relegation playoffs.

There could be 4 divisions of 12 in the league giving 11 fixtures that could be played in the heart of the county season. Club players would end up getting a few more games and a regular fixture list to aim towards.

It would mean county players being available for every game that determines your championship grading and still provide a separate league in which teams can play away and give regular games with no worries about availability. Some teams with a few county boys could end up in a lower league but that would be more suitable given they're missing there best players.

As it stands waiting about all year on the county games to complete fixtures is madness and unfair on club players. And if we're going to compete with the top counties we will have to accept county players can't compete in all club games. Some form of comprise needs to be made and something like the above could be as good as there is.

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Traveller

Was there much evidence of this last year? Did players going to America increase compared to prior year? The likes of donaghmore improved after getting knocked out of the championship early. Killyclogher went on to win the league. I didn't notice a huge drop of in the competitiveness of the league. Some teams such as clonoe took it easy in some of their games but would have if still in the championship too.

That's precisely why Donaghmore improved because most teams were finished in May. The League has to be completed before the Championship and do away with playoffs.

[/quote]

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Traveller on February 05, 2015, 07:50:47 AM

That's precisely why Donaghmore improved because most teams were finished in May. The League has to be completed before the Championship and do away with playoffs.

[/quote]
pretty much the whole bottom half of the league in Div 1 werent safe untill the last game or two, so to say most teams 'finished in May' is rubbish.
Then we had the likes of Killyclogher who pushed on to get into the top 4.
I would say there were very few teams packed it in after the championshipo, or even eased off that much.
Sure you will have a few teams at the tail end of the league with very little to play for, but you will get that every year regardless of when the championship is played.
Take for instance if clonoe & errigal are in a championship final witha  few league games left to play, they are more likely to rest players and ease off in that situation also.
The whole argument about players going to america is BS IMO.
If they want to head away for the summer then fine, but thats no reason to structure a whole countys club scene around them.